Trying to hit the sweet spot with a GTX 1080

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here are my current system specs:

(See full build here - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d28KD2)

Second Life viewer is Firestorm 6.0.2 (56680) Feb  9 2019 18:55:39 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support.

Here are the current settings  have been trying: https://imgur.com/a/1Hxaqnc

This is what Nvidia suggested when I just spoke to them:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings.
2. Go to Global Settings tab.
3. In the setting window, change the 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'.
4. Also check below settings too,

•  Power management mode – prefer maximum performance
  • Ambient Occlusion – Off
  • Triple buffering – off
  • Threaded optimization - ON
  • Vertical Sync – Fast

As for internet speed, I am on gigabit and am hardwired in. I got around 500 Mbps down to Tucson, AZ and about 200 up. I left the maximum bandwidth under Preferences / Network & Files / Connection to 1500 Kbps per group support's recommendation.

I am not sure what I should be tweaking at this point to gain some FPS without sacrificing much. Right now I am sitting around 40 FPS just while on my empty land. What can you suggest for me at this point?

Edited by thefantasyeffect

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble and I'll be honest, I'm not able to offer much help but since no one has replied to you I thought I'd leave some words.

First forget about talking to Nvidia, they'll reply with some generic cookie cutter scripted answer.
Second, your connection speed doesn't impact your frame rate, it might initially as it's being downloaded, once a scene has been downloaded that's up to your hardware to render frames.

You mention you are sitting around in your empty land at 40FPS, is it an actual empty plot or by empty you mean no one else, but you have your house and a bunch of stuff there?

If I were you I'd start by disabling water reflections, as SL basically mirrors the assets to have it's reflections, so that's twice the geometry on screen.
From there you can start to reduce shadow quality, you can even open the phototools (Alt+P) and get it below 1, around 0.80 will still look good enough, specially if you add more blur to make them softer. If you are desperate enough for frames, you can go all the way down to 0,25.
I would also reduce the number of non impostor avatars to about 6, this will help in crowded areas.
Lastly, on the rendering tab you can lock your FPS to 30, now I know what you are gonna say, but, if you can at least keep it stable at 30 you'll have a better experience than having it jump from 150 to 40 constantly, the key here is stability, that is the best you can hope for in SL.

You should also get a tool to measure the system usage, Afterburner will do that, or something like Open Hardware Monitor, you wanna check what is being maxed if it's your CPU or GPU.

But don't get your hopes up of making SL run much better on your hardware, I'm on Maxwell and I'm getting a better frame rate than you are.
Now, if you are wondering how is that possible, and if it haven't given you enough bad news, I keep earing people on Pascal complaining about shoddy performance, without having such a card in my hands I can't really do much testing but I have a sneaking suspicious the ancient OpenGL API would be to blame there...
There's also the fact that you have a Ryzen CPU which I have no idea how well it runs SL.

I know there wasn't much help in there, but I hope you can at least improve your experience with my suggestions.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:13 AM, thefantasyeffect said:

Here are my current system specs:

(Top of the line everything.)

I am not sure what I should be tweaking at this point to gain some FPS without sacrificing much. Right now I am sitting around 40 FPS just while on my empty land. What can you suggest for me at this point?

Something's wrong. Hard to tell what from here. That's so bad that I suspect you might be using built-in graphics instead of your expensive graphics card.

Is performance poor in other 3D programs?

Here's a suggestion. Download the Unreal Engine 4 benchmark, "The Valley". This is a demo of Unreal Engine 4; it's just a beautiful valley you can look at. There's no gameplay. If this works well, your hardware and software are doing OK. Post your benchmark numbers.

("The Valley" is also useful for users who are getting crashes. It pushes the graphics hardware hard, and if it runs, the hardware is almost certainly OK.)

Try this:

NVidea Control Panel

3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings->Program Settings

Add Firestorm

Then set the following, leave rest as they are

CUDA GPU: All
Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum power
Tripple Buffering: On

Firestorm:
Draw distance: 240
Hardware Settings->Antialiasing: 8x or 16x

Check that Viewer Texture Memory Buffer is max that is 2048

I have a Geforce 1060 6 GB ( CPU iCore7 ) and uses a 1920x1080 resolution monitor - with ALM on in high graphic settings - I get 70-100 FPS, with ultra graphics settings 34-44 FPS depending on surroundings/avatars around. In my sky box 3400 meters up home alone I get 175-188 FPS. Lowering graphic quality 210-220 FPS.

Edited by Rachel1206

I have a GTX 970 intel core i7 (4th gen) 16 gig RAm, 100mbs download  wired LAN. (fine connection to tuscon area severs) I always felt like there was a bottleneck somewhere either from the viewer or my system. I talk to others basically same set up getting 40-60 fps on "ultra" on a normal sim and generally on a 'normal' sim with maybe only a could avis i average maybe 20fps give or take. very crowded sims (such as when I am videoing weddings) often cant eek out much more that 5-6 fps

I been experimenting with over clocking the GPU and so far it appears that has zero effect for SL at all. Heat on both CPU and GPU are well within accepted ranges. I keep the max bandwidth set about 1200 in FS I usually run 1 step below 'ultra' but keep avi detail at 10 and LOD set to 3.0, for weddings shadow max quality is at 1

Sure wish there was a secret recipe some where!  But being this is SL that is highly doubtable. we're running High end gear on early 2000s code! lol

It's not your gfx card. There is nothing you can tweak on that side to improve this.

Your CPU is a massive bottleneck.

SL is heavily CPU bound, and while there is some threading, it doesn't scale to use all your cores so straight line speed counts .. and you're only at 3.4GHz 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.