Question about VRAM usage for multiple copies of the same mesh.

MeshPromo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I make multiple copies of the same object in second life, does the VRAM of those affect to the visitors of the sim separately?

For example (as seen in the screenshot), I made three copies of a same roofs. Each roof copy take 2042KB VRAM usage for textures. Total VRAM is 6126KB. Imagine a visitor comes to the visible area that the roof is rezzed, will their viewer has to download 6126KB or just 2042KB only?

If its 2042KB only, then creators always try to use the same texture as much as possible. For example if we make trees, we can use the same leaf texture for different kind of trees with adjustment of the color using edit window to reduce the texture lag.

I ask this question to optimize the memory usage so appreciate any kind of advises. Thank you.

vram.jpg

Edited by MeshPromo

Textures only need to be downloaded once, even if there are several copies. This can sometimes be seen in areas where the same texture is used in multiple places (or multiple copies of the same object), they'll all load at the same time. I believe the same applies for meshes.

That said, two faces and 2042 KB texture memory? Why would anyone use two max size textures? Horrible practice, honestly.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answer.

That said, two faces and 2042 KB texture memory? Why would anyone use two max size textures? Horrible practice, honestly. 

As I remember its 512px textures so not the max size, the roof need at least 512px or else it wont visible well.

In that photo you could see there is 1 faced object that consumes 5447KB. So for two faces, is 2042KB a lot?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MeshPromo said:

If I make multiple copies of the same object in second life, does the VRAM of those affect to the visitors of the sim separately?

There is only one copy of the texture stored in the VRAM, no matter how many faces and objects it is used for.

Reusing textures the way you suggest is standard technique for lag concsious content creators and highly recommended whenever possible. :)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.