could use a little advice on land.

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am renting 1/3rd of a homestead now and while I really like it I am thinking about maybe getting a full homestead where I have estate rights and no neighbors. Other then the added costs in both monthly rent as well as needing landscaping to fill a sim, are there any other drawbacks to having a homestead? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

I rented an full homestead many moons ago and shared it with two of my friends. I thoroughly enjoyed having estate rights and the freedom to be godlike in applying textures to the terrain and terraforming to my heart's content. If the monthly costs aren't an issue, I think you will enjoy the experience.

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I rented an full homestead many moons ago and shared it with two of my friends. I thoroughly enjoyed having estate rights and the freedom to be godlike in applying textures to the terrain and terraforming to my heart's content. If the monthly costs aren't an issue, I think you will enjoy the experience.

Yeah, I think I would but I keep seeing people say that homesteads are just not worth the cost and its a little off putting.

Oh, I totally get that. I've been in SL for a very long time. I've only rented private estate land for a short period of time simply because I wanted the luxury of "god tools" and to share the fun with my closest friends. That only lasted for a little less than a year. I've never been tempted to go back either. I much prefer to spend my lindens on things other than rental fees. :) 

7 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

I am renting 1/3rd of a homestead now and while I really like it I am thinking about maybe getting a full homestead where I have estate rights and no neighbors. Other then the added costs in both monthly rent as well as needing landscaping to fill a sim, are there any other drawbacks to having a homestead? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

Things to consider are how you want to use it, anything that relies on scripts will be a bit slower on homesteads as you share the resources with three other homesteads and if one of those others or more are script hogs that can slow things down. If you want somewhere to be able to plan out something for the size of a full sim, homesteads are amazing in that regard. Best thing to do is to try renting one that is not going to be some expectation of long term, try a rental week to week, see how it plays out and then find something a little more permanent. 

2 hours ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

Best thing to do is to try renting one that is not going to be some expectation of long term, try a rental week to week, see how it plays out and then find something a little more permanent.

You have to own a full region in order to buy a homestead, so the OP's only choice is to rent a homestead. It is a good idea to only pay for a week or two initially.

renting for a week or two would be great, but id hate to have to put in the work of setting it up then deciding I dont want it but I do see the reasoning.

I am thinking the price jump from around $40 a month to around $100 may not be worth it in the long run

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO the biggest negative of a homestead is the reduced region resources. Did you know you can only use 25% of the frame time? This means having 25% of the scripts as normal. If you are into a certain RP farming game for example and use it on a homestead as many do, you will find your scripts run plummets due to the high amount of script time the system uses. Seeing as you are already used to a 1/3 homestead you are probably already used to this but it is something worth keeping in mind.

A homestead is well worth it for residential purposes, I also see quite a few business using them. I did rent one for about three month or so back in the day and it was wonderful. All that space to play with. Nowadays they even upped the prim count so you get even more bang for your buck.

The only downside to homesteads other than the script run time would be the fact that only 20 people can be on it. If you want to host events, have a large family and group of friends then a homestead might not be for you.

However if you've been living on a homestead parcel before and liked it then there's really no negative to renting a full one.

12 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

IMHO the biggest negative of a homestead is the reduced region resources. Did you know you can only use 25% of the frame time? This means having 25% of the scripts as normal. If you are into a certain RP farming game for example and use it on a homestead as many do, you will find your scripts run plummets due to the high amount of script time the system uses. Seeing as you are already used to a 1/3 homestead you are probably already used to this but it is something worth keeping in mind.

yeah, i try to keep my scripts down and dont breed animals, the lag seems to never get to bad. I cant see myself really adding many more scripts to a full homestead either to be honest.

My main worry though is of course if there are like 16 other homesteads on a server and they are breeding thousands of critters lagging it to hell.

8 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

yeah, i try to keep my scripts down and dont breed animals, the lag seems to never get to bad. I cant see myself really adding many more scripts to a full homestead either to be honest.

My main worry though is of course if there are like 16 other homesteads on a server and they are breeding thousands of critters lagging it to hell.

Honestly this SHOULDN"T be an issue but it's something I haven't looked into properly. if other homesteads on the same server are able to cause yours to lag then the same should be true for full regions too and while you do sometimes see issues that seem to be on the simulator level in my experience these have been very rare and LL has moved regions to new sims when this happens.

18 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

1. Depends which breedable they're breeding. Only the ozimals were lag monsters that gave the rest of the breedables a bad name. Many breedables operate with a lot less scripts and run time.

2. Depends if breedables have a mode where they go silent when the owner is not there. Meeroo do this for example.

But hey, lets totally judge all breedables even though I'd bet 20 bucks all you *really* know about them is heresay.

12 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

1. Depends which breedable they're breeding. Only the ozimals were lag monsters that gave the rest of the breedables a bad name. Many breedables operate with a lot less scripts and run time.

I know of other laggy breedable systems.

2. Depends if breedables have a mode where they go silent when the owner is not there. Meeroo do this for example.

If a breedable is in a parcel and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 🤣

But hey, lets totally judge all breedables even though I'd bet 20 bucks all you *really* know about them is heresay.

I'll take you up on that bet. I've done extensive testing on a number of breedable systems (and other large scripted systems) to the point where I have an entire empty region I use for testing loads. Sure I'll admit I haven't tested as many breedable systems as I would like to, but this is mostly down to the amount of time I have between other tests.

5 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

If a breedable is in a parcel and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 🤣

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

I have an entire empty region I use for testing loads.

When-Bae-Asks-You-Want-Cheese-Your-Fries

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.