Pamela Galli

What is the Knowlwdge Base for?

Question

I saw the link to the KB. https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/

My question is, how do I use it?  Should I read there first and then come here for clarification?  Or should I first come here to ask someone to look my questions up for me in the KB?

Asking for a friend who used to teach the skills of self sufficiency.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

2. No two people explain things exactly the same way.  I have sometimes rephrased an answer that I think is correct but written in a confusing way.  Even if I am saying the same thing as the previous person, I hope my way of saying it is easier to understand.  And if not ...

3. It never hurts an OP to get a second opinion, even if it amounts to, "Yup, that last answer is correct.  Do what he said." 😊

Guilty, guilty, guilty.  I do this ALL the time.  Some have accused me of not reading the prior responses ("Rolig said that already") or of simply wanting to increase my post count.  On the other hand, a person once told me "You are the very best person I know at taking a lot of information and summarizing it in a way I can understand."

So, I'll keep right on doing it.

• Like 3

Everyone, I think, agrees that Answers is the place to clarify information, and Lindal  and Rolig are the top clarifiers of information.

There is also value in encouraging the skills of being an independent learner — eg using the tools available: Knowledge Base, Google, Forum, Support, Merchant, etc. 

Example: I sell incredibly feature rich kitchens (featuring Rolig’s fantastic scripts). I made a kitchen website with pictures and detailed information, using my task analysis skills. Rolig made me a HUD script I used to make it easy to access kitchen information by subject. Anyone who touches a kitchen box gets a HUD to wear, so they can read about the kitchens. When a buyer rezzes the box, they get one, plus one rezzes with the kitchen.

Also any time an item is rezzed from the kitchen, directions are given in chat (per Roligs scripts). 

i cannot recall the last time anyone asked a question about the kitchen, and in every case it was asked by someone who steadfastly refused to use any of the tools provided.

I can’t bear to think of what my life would be like if I had not made teaching kitchen owners how to access information tools a priority.

Same with my Homeowners Guide and other resources I have online. Also my FAQ, sent to everyone who messages me. And my Picks. 

Maybe we need to get a committee together to make the KB a better tool for independent learners, something we know will be a valuable resource to those we refer to it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have been told several times in my life that I am "brusque," which is probably true at times.

Just about every performance review I've ever received has contained some comment along the lines of "is a bit too blunt".   B|  9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have been told several times in my life that I am "brusque,"

can you teach me how to be that?... ( would be less bad than some see me now :)  )

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:
22 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have been told several times in my life that I am "brusque,"

can you teach me how to be that?... ( would be less bad than some see me now :)  )

I think it's easier for women. All you have to do is fail to smile.  That makes you "aggressive" or "stern." As Pogo once said, "From there on up, it's downhill all the way."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think it's easier for women. All you have to do is fail to smile.  That makes you "aggressive" or "stern." As Pogo once said, "From there on up, it's downhill all the way."

But “you’re prettier when you smile!”

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But “you’re prettier when you smile!”

I can pretty much guarantee that does not apply to me.  I have an absolutely horrid smile, pretty much always looking more like a grimace.  A therapist and I decided that it was because I had little in my childhood to smile about, but had to fake it a lot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I can pretty much guarantee that does not apply to me.  I have an absolutely horrid smile, pretty much always looking more like a grimace.  A therapist and I decided that it was because I had little in my childhood to smile about, but had to fake it a lot.

Me too, I had awful teeth, got them fixed up perfect but still don’t smile much.

• Like 2