Jump to content

Recommended Posts

ย  ย Now I'm curious. Did you catch anything or did you bow out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donโ€™t feed them bread! It expands their stomachs!ย 

ย 

Wait. I think that might be ducks.ย 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, norajulian said:

Donโ€™t feed them bread! It expands their stomachs!ย 

Wait. I think that might be ducks.ย 

ย  ย Nah, it doesn't 'expand their stomachs' per se. The problem with feeding birds plain white bread is that they'll be quite happy to eat it as their instinct pretty much says for them to eat whatever they get their bills on. If humans regularly feed birds with bread, they'll figure out that they'll never have to go look for any other food - and just as if a human would live on just plain white bread for any extended period of time, nutrient deficiencies will eventually begin to take their toll.

ย  ย Scurvy ducks are no fun sight.ย If you want to feed birds, it's better to bring a bag of bird feed with a variety of seeds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, norajulian said:

Donโ€™t feed them bread! It expands their stomachs!ย 

ย 

Wait. I think that might be ducks.ย 

People too, thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m on the Keto diet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I post just a comma โ€œ,โ€, how do I indicate itโ€™s an Oxford comma?

ย  ย You don't. Oxford commas can briefly be described as 'commas that are neither required nor proper' - it's one of those elements of grammar that can send people (grammar teachers in particular)ย into a flying fury. Personally, I think Oxford commas are brilliant. The only way to determine whether a specific comma is of the Oxfordian persuasion, is to break down the sentence into its basic components and determine whether the comma is required or not.

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I post just a comma โ€œ,โ€, how do I indicate itโ€™s an Oxford comma?

If it is "just a comma" then it cannot possibly be an Oxford comma since an Oxford comma would first require a list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If it is "just a comma" then it cannot possibly be an Oxford comma since an Oxford comma would first require a list.

So, in the example below, the final comma is Oxford (I assume the others are Oxnard):

,,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, in the example below, the final comma is Oxford (I assume the others are Oxnard):

,,,

Per the definition, an oxford comma isย a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before โ€˜andโ€™ or โ€˜orโ€™ (e.g. an Italian painter, sculptor, and architect).ย  A string of commas does not fit that definition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per the definition, an oxford comma isย a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before โ€˜andโ€™ or โ€˜orโ€™ (e.g. an Italian painter, sculptor, and architect).ย  A string of commas does not fit that definition.

I just remembered that โ€œpenultimateโ€ doesnโ€™t mean what most people think it means.

I, said, so, and there.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×