Jump to content

Recommended Posts

just want to comment that almost EVERY Store REQUIRES you to be in a group to take advantage of their credit earning and other events and giveaways.  That along with we who need our own groups for our Homes, Families, Clubs etc.  I think the Group Limit should be AT LEAST 50.  It is so annoying to have to leave a free group you love to make room for another group you want... The Constant toggling and leaving and rejoining groups isn't fair to US or the Store Owners etc....   PLEASE LINDEN LABS, ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ISSUE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Premium members get 40 groups. As for store groups: I join the group, grab the freebies and get whatever discount than leave the group. if it's a paid-for group I don't join it as I see that as unwise on my part and exploitive at best on theirs.

Whoops, that's correct, At first, it was 40 I think, but now it's up to 60? Cool beans. I still don't join groups willy-nilly, myself.LOL

Tagging OP so she sees these: @MissTauni

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what happens when almost ALL groups are ones that cost a lot?  And I don't feel we should have to pay extra Linden to be premium when what you get for that is not worth it... The Linden premium member homes are a joke... I rent a modest parcel, have a BEAUTIFUL home, and upload and spend A LOT of money in SL without paying more... I pay probably more than some premium members here in SL  I should be allotted same amount of groups... FOR SURE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what is it now?  7 or 8 RL dollars for premium?  I upload 4 times that or more in linden a month.... And do they give premium members comparable amount of benefits.. It def does not add up... So, DEFINITELY NOT happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish more stores did subscription rather than groups... But they wont because they want to charge hundreds for group membership... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linden Lab decided to make the increased group limit a Premium Perk in an effort to entice more users to go Premium.

Don't like the Linden Homes? Don't get one - put that tier to use as part of a Mainland parcel.

Don't like the idea of buying Mainland? Don't - that's your choice.

You say you rent a parcel? Private Island or Mainland? If the former, Linden Lab may not see that money at all. If the latter, get a Premium Account and cut out the middle.

Further i do not know where you're shopping but I can certainly say this: I have only ever run into a single shop group that has asked me for a fee to join.

Oh and even with the Group limit of 60 for Premium? I'm rather particular about what groups I join. There is no need to join all that many shop groups.

Edited by Solar Legion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one of my store groups (for a hair store) charged a fee; L$50, which entitles me to help myself to all the group gifts which are all laid out upstairs. I've used them regularly so I definitely got my money's worth.

L$50 is about 20 cents.  You've probably got more than that under the cushions on your sofa.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 groups is more than enough for most people. Perhaps curb your shopping habit or get used to swapping out groups. the Labs need some way to persuade people to go premium and as you noted most of the perks arent worth anything to anyone. This one appears to be to you so either learn to manage or go premium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problems with payed groups is: they were never intended as store advertisment platforms. It is what they became, but if we would limit ourselves to social and administrative groups ... 42 would be enough...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MissTauni said:

But what happens when almost ALL groups are ones that cost a lot?  And I don't feel we should have to pay extra Linden to be premium when what you get for that is not worth it... The Linden premium member homes are a joke... I rent a modest parcel, have a BEAUTIFUL home, and upload and spend A LOT of money in SL without paying more... I pay probably more than some premium members here in SL  I should be allotted same amount of groups... FOR SURE!

It's up to you to decide if Premium is worth it to you.  But be sure you count ALL the benefits.  For example, Premium members can own up to 1024 sq m of Mainland without paying tier...you aren't limited to a Linden Home.  Plus you get more groups (60), better tech support, a $L300 per week stipend, and many more.  Taken all in all, if you pay for a yearly Premium membership, the value of the benefits you get makes the actual cost less than $1.00 per month.  See my blog post, "Premium Benefits Creep".

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, MissTauni said:

But what happens when almost ALL groups are ones that cost a lot?  And I don't feel we should have to pay extra Linden to be premium when what you get for that is not worth it... The Linden premium member homes are a joke... I rent a modest parcel, have a BEAUTIFUL home, and upload and spend A LOT of money in SL without paying more... I pay probably more than some premium members here in SL  I should be allotted same amount of groups... FOR SURE!

 

5 hours ago, MissTauni said:

And what is it now?  7 or 8 RL dollars for premium?  I upload 4 times that or more in linden a month.... And do they give premium members comparable amount of benefits.. It def does not add up... So, DEFINITELY NOT happening.

So?. I'v probably spent in the regions of six figures in the near 12 years I have been in Second Life. The amount in linden I have uploaded over the years and spent probably makes anything you have spent look like a poor persons pittance. Yet I don't expect special treatment definitely don't come to the forums with self entitled whining. Premium is there as an OPTIONAL extra for those who wish to pay for it. If you want the extra groups then pay premium, if not, don't. If you do premium correctly you can get most of it back, aka choose the per year option. You get 300 lindens a week, thats 15,600 lindens a year. Add on to that your 1000 linden bonus after 45 days thats now 16,600. Currently to purchase that amount of lindens its $66.40. Premium yearly is currently $72 dollars a year. Take the 66.40 away from 72 and you get the grand total of $5.60 now divide that by 12 and your actually paying 46.6 cents a month for premium. Now to hammer the point home a little more.....go to ANY land rental agency, look at the cost of renting 1024 worth of land which is roughly about 600 linden a week. Multiply that by 52 and you get 31,200 linden a year in rental. The current cost of buying that is $124.80. Take that away from the $5.60 and you get NEGATIVE -$119.20.

So to summarise...

*Your getting a years worth of premium

*60 Groups

*Access to experiences if you want it

*Access to regions when full

*1024 worth of land included

For $5.60 a year not including equivalent land rental cost OR

-$119.20 including equivalent land rental cost

Go home..

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

So?. I'v probably spent in the regions of six figures in the near 12 years I have been in Second Life.

I don't even want to think about the thousands I have dropped on SL over the past 14 years. Yes, thousands. I spent $3000 USD over two years for a homestead (with full estate rights) alone. Which is why I was hoping I could go Premium again this year. It's so much cheaper.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MissTauni said:

The Constant toggling and leaving and rejoining groups isn't fair to US or the Store Owners etc....   PLEASE LINDEN LABS, ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ISSUE!

Why are you blaming the Lab for something that's obviously the fault of store owners? Complain to them! They're using group membership as a marketing tool -- which is fine, but has consequences: it will inconvenience a certain share of customers who run out of the system-supported group slots.

Also, note that increasing group slots isn't merely tweaking a number: it incurs real sim processing, especially in high-traffic locations, and especially when traffic teleports in and out or crosses between parcels.

So have fewer groups, especially in your main avatar -- it's more important than reducing Inventory because the pain of excess groups just keeps happening long after you've logged-in. If you must keep those wasteful store groups, farm out as many as you possibly can to "shopping alts" that get their discounts whenever they buy gifts for your main avatar. (This is handy anyway, to route those pesky group notices to other email destinations than your main account. Note however that a group needs to be attached to whatever account is logged-in when that group's chat is useful.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

You say you rent a parcel? Private Island or Mainland? If the former, Linden Lab may not see that money at all.

I know some Estate owners who've been doing it all wrong! ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I half agree with the OP, to be honest. I'm totally fine with a group limit of 40 for free accounts, no issue with that. But I can certainly see why the premium limit should be far higher; the number of groups each avatar is in does not come with a measurable cost for LL, giving premiums a limit of 200 would take all of five seconds and would make things easier for everyone. It's like the IM cap; I don't mind the cap for free accounts, but the premium cap is such a small increase that it makes premium seem like an outright scam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If premium had a group limit of 200 they would more than likely be unusable..

They only gave premiums an increase of 20 after they figured out a way to do it that wouldn't cause more lag.. Groups just at 40 before the increase and whatever adjustment they made, used to be terrible for lag..Especially on a busy sim..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my group slots for two things. Shopping and live music groups. I'm picky about which groups I keep. I'm not going to keep a shopping group just because I want gifts. The group  has to have a good discussion group going as well. I find the information I get from those groups invaluable. I'm premium on both of my accounts and have never come close to using all my group slots on either account. 

As for thinking that premium isn't worth the money to get it, that's your right, but don't come in here complaining about not having enough group slots if you're not willing to pay for the convenience of having those extra slots. LL is far nicer to those having a free account than I would be. I'd be knocking the number down rather than up for free accounts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If premium had a group limit of 200 they would more than likely be unusable..

They only gave premiums an increase of 20 after they figured out a way to do it that wouldn't cause more lag.. Groups just at 40 before the increase and whatever adjustment they made, used to be terrible for lag..Especially on a busy sim..

In the nicest possible way... this is utter nonsense.

Edit: Although your followup post isn't nonsense, for those reading this later.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

In the nicest possible way... this is utter nonsense.

I take it you were not around before the increase? Because there was always problems with group chat back then..

People had been asking for years for an increase as well as groups to be fixed..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I take it you were not around before the increase? Because there was always problems with group chat back then..

People had been asking for years for an increase as well as groups to be fixed..

It's true that before the increase there were issues, but having been in SL for 15 years, I can tell you from personal experience that the problems have increased with the addition of more group slots. I honestly, can't think of one good reason to increase group slots even for premium members. Gosh people learn to budget your resources. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

It's true that before the increase there were issues, but having been in SL for 15 years, I can tell you from personal experience that the problems have increased with the addition of more group slots. I honestly, can't think of one good reason to increase group slots even for premium members. Gosh people learn to budget your resources. :) 

I'm not looking for an increase myself..I still have plenty of slots left open.

I may have 45 groups if that..

I'm also not saying problems haven't increased since we got more slots..I was saying they couldn't increase them back then until they found a way..

They can't just flip a switch and add the amount of groups and it not bog things down..

I've been in SL for a good while myself,going on 13 years.. I may not hit the nail right on the head sometimes with an exact memory,but enough to remember it wasn't just click and go..hehehe

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

But I can certainly see why the premium limit should be far higher; the number of groups each avatar is in does not come with a measurable cost for LL, giving premiums a limit of 200 would take all of five seconds and would make things easier for everyone.

 

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not looking for an increase myself..I still have plenty of slots left open.

I may have 45 groups if that..

I'm also not saying problems haven't increased since we got more slots..I was saying they couldn't increase them back then until they found a way..

They can't just flip a switch and add the amount of groups and it not bog things down..

I've been in SL for a good while myself,going on 13 years.. I may not hit the nail right on the head sometimes with an exact memory,but enough to remember it wasn't just click and go..hehehe

I'm sorry, I see now that it wasn't you, Ceka, who suggested the 200 limit but Ayela. So I stand corrected. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

 

I'm sorry, I see now that it wasn't you, Ceka, who suggested the 200 limit but Ayela. So I stand corrected. :) 

Oh that's ok.it happens..hehehe

There is something else I'm trying to remember and I may be getting it mixed up with something else..But weren't we early on with only 20 groups?

I could be mixing things up with a whole other virtual world also..but for some reason20 is popping into my mind and I'm not sure if it was groups or not..has there only been one increase in group amount or was there two?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×