I been in Sl for few years now and  two years ago, me and my partner in crime, we decided to open our own Sim. After all this time, we been noticing that when we do a web search in SL the positions in this list should be based in the traffic numbers to our understanding but, shows that is not the case since, some that had less traffic than our Sim are well above our ranking!? How can this be possible!? Does anyone know the reason and how can we do to improve our position in this list since, the traffic numbers are not working in our favor?

traffic, or often confused with visitor counts, isn't the main criterium for search results in the webbased results. I think only the "old" legacy search uses it.

Without doubt you know visitor count and traffic are two different things. Traffic is the amount of time that avatars spend on your sim, it's not the amount of visits.

• Like 1

So if that is the case, how can someone push their rating in that list when has a good visit numbers and also a good average time in visits? No one been able to explain to me how this list works and how I can improve our rating there. LL seams not to know the answer since been waiting few weeks now and no reply lol

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, latino12 said:

So if that is the case, how can someone push their rating in that list when has a good visit numbers and also a good average time in visits? No one been able to explain to me how this list works and how I can improve our rating there. LL seams not to know the answer since been waiting few weeks now and no reply lol

nothing explaining it here?

No one - no really, no one - can give you a wholly accurate answer since no one actually knows what criteria affect search ranking.

The Lindens aren't going to outright tell you how their search algorithm functions - that would create an unfair advantage.

Traffic rating and Visitor count have not been major factors for ranking in the web based search for many years now. You'll have to experiment to see which techniques work for your sim.

Traffic may still play a role in the web search. It did when LL used the GSA for the web search. But only the legacy search ranks places on traffic. In fact, it ranks only on traffic. It can be made to list places alphabetically, but that's listing, not ranking. So...

It's been quite a few years since I used to manipulate the web search rankings for my own benefit, but I doubt that much has changed since then. Assuming that to be the case, and also assuming that LL still produces an HTML page for each place that is listed in search, this is how to improve your rankings.

It is the place's HTML page that is ranked in the search results. The search engine has no idea what your sim is about, so you need to arrange that its HTML page contains that information. You need to arrange that it includes your main searchterms prominently. You can see a typical page at http://world.secondlife.com/place/7e5ab0f7-84d3-8ba1-55b1-f84162af292e?lang=en-US

The searchterm I searched on was 'low prim furniture' (old habits die hard :) ) and that place was listed near the top of the results.

1. Decide on the most important searchterms that you want to rank highly for. Just decide on one to start with.

2. Find where your sim ranks when searching on that searchterm.

3. Include that searchterm in the parcel's name, preferably at or near the front (the sim's name in your case unless you've divided it into parcels).

4. Include that searchterm in the parcel's description, even more than once.

5. Wait a few days and see if the ranking has improved. It should have done.

Notes:

If your sim is about something that isn't included in its HTML page, then it can't rank for it (unless inbound links are still possible. More on links below) because the engine has no idea what a sim is let alone what happens in your sim, so you need to place your main searchterms in the page.

I used to know a lot about the parcel HTML pages when I was manipulating the results, but I don't now. They probably don't actually exist and are dynamic (created when requested). I don't know if the items that are set to show in search that are listed in the linked-to page are actually in the HTML page that the search engine indexes, or if they are only shown to a searcher, or if they are in the page but not indexed. It's easy enough to test. If they are included in the indexed page, then items that are set to show in search can also be used to push searchterms up the rankings. I've an idea that those items aren't indexed by the engine - because that's exactly what we used to do.

The most important element on the HTML page is the page's Title tag. It's not the main heading. In fact it's not printed on the page. The page's Title tag is the parcel's name. Similarly, the parcel's description is put into the page's Description tag, also not printed on the page. But the most important of the two is the Title tag. That may be confusing, because the parcel's name and description are printed in the page. But those that are printed are not the HTML tags. The text is repeated in the viewable part of the HTML page. I won't explain why the Title tag is so important, because it doesn't matter. Also, I can't guarantee that it's as important as it used to be, but it's good to assume that it is.

It's probable that LL has made use of links to a place's web page. The GSA did when LL was using that, and the engine they now use (a freebie Apache engine that emulates the Google engine) almost certainly uses them. The difficulty with using them in SL, though, is that there are no natural sources of links to web pages. They used to exist in SL, and they could be manipulated with great effect on rankings, but whether or not that's still possible, I don't know. If it is, then it's THE most important way to manipulate your rankings, even more important than the HTML page's Title tag. I won't explain why links are so important because I don't know if they are still possible or not.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Start making events, Have themes, discussions good topics, Poetry. whatever you have to create the happiness it will come. 

Think you have to get a hold of them they come and look. Like you can be put in destinations let people do photography are you good at chatting  or some kind of art. 

Edited by TeraChrista

53 minutes ago, TeraChrista said:

Start making events, Have themes, discussions good topics, Poetry. whatever you have to create the happiness it will come. 

it's a well established sim,  known by many of their target groups, they are not new, just asked about search results.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

On 2/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, latino12 said:

I been in Sl for few years now and  two years ago, me and my partner in crime, we decided to open our own Sim. After all this time, we been noticing that when we do a web search in SL the positions in this list should be based in the traffic numbers to our understanding but, shows that is not the case since, some that had less traffic than our Sim are well above our ranking!? How can this be possible!? Does anyone know the reason and how can we do to improve our position in this list since, the traffic numbers are not working in our favor?

Well here is the thing, what makes you think your place deserve a higher ranking?

It's nothing to do with places deserving higher rankings. Every place owner has every right to take steps to achieve higher rankings.

• Like 1