Somebody loves me...

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Phil, are you talking to an imaginary friend?  Or maybe someone around here has a nickname that I don't know about, or possibly LL removed a post.  

I have gone back and looked through this entire thread 3 times now and I still don't see a post by anyone named Coby.

Streuth! I meant ChinRey, of course, but for some reason Coby came to mind at that time.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Try being a runway model in SL. 🦈

40 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I never understood this runway model thing in RL either. What if the poor girl is hit by a plane?

Landed on, Rey. Landed on.

Being a passive conduit for the take-off, and successful landing, of a long, rounded tube full of squirming passengers is quite a metaphor for Valentine's day.

No wonder I'm supposed to hide my head in an empty box 😢😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree, life is competitive...but this fact does not have to mean one can't respect their competitor (or even love them).

Competition helps us learn and develop our skills -- in many areas we can't see the level we're at unless we can compare our skills to others.

Respect is fine, no problem there but I do have an issue with the notion that everyone is equal when they are not.

E.g. school sports days where "everyone is a winner", to avoid children being upset at losing. At some point in their life, these snowflakes will discover that there are others who are better at something than they are and no, they're not entitled to the same benefits.

But we digress somewhat :)

I too worked against and with competitors and it's healthy to do that, it serves to stretch yourself and innovate.

• Like 1

I gotta jump in just to back Bradford a little, things are too skewed in here. 

I grew up with the concept that you'd pick someone to "be my Valentine". It made 'em feel special for a day. You give that recognition to everybody, suddenly it's not so special. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gadget Portal said:

I gotta jump in just to back Bradford a little, things are too skewed in here. 

I grew up with the concept that you'd pick someone to "be my Valentine". It made 'em feel special for a day. You give that recognition to everybody, suddenly it's not so special. 

It's what you put into it that makes it special, not what other people think.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bradford Mint said:

Respect is fine, no problem there but I do have an issue with the notion that everyone is equal when they are not.

E.g. school sports days where "everyone is a winner", to avoid children being upset at losing. At some point in their life, these snowflakes will discover that there are others who are better at something than they are and no, they're not entitled to the same benefits.

Suit yourself.

When I was, couldn't've been more than 5, may have been younger, I very carefully went through the box of wee cards I'd very carefully selected from the shop and decided on one for each member of my class, trying to choose one I thought they'd like. I was a serious child and took the whole thing seriously. It mattered to me that they had a card they'd liked, whether they were funny or flowery or loud or quiet.

On the day itself a few classmates went racing round the bags, dropping one in each. Others had also written names on theirs, they took longer. I was slow and I had cards for everyone, but I managed alright.

When we were given leave to get our bags, everyone gleefully dumped theirs on the floor. They all had lots. It was a big class.

I found a small handful inside my bag. One from our neighbour Steven. A couple more with my name on the envelope. A few more from the kids who gave one to everyone randomly.

I was five years old and I knew without any shadow of a doubt what I was already starting to figure out.

It was humiliating and it was devastating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Suit yourself.

When I was, couldn't've been more than 5, may have been younger, I very carefully went through the box of wee cards I'd very carefully selected from the shop and decided on one for each member of my class, trying to choose one I thought they'd like. I was a serious child and took the whole thing seriously. It mattered to me that they had a card they'd liked, whether they were funny or flowery or loud or quiet.

On the day itself a few classmates went racing round the bags, dropping one in each. Others had also written names on theirs, they took longer. I was slow and I had cards for everyone, but I managed alright.

When we were given leave to get our bags, everyone gleefully dumped theirs on the floor. They all had lots. It was a big class.

I found a small handful inside my bag. One from our neighbour Steven. A couple more with my name on the envelope. A few more from the kids who gave one to everyone randomly.

I was five years old and I knew without any shadow of a doubt what I was already starting to figure out.

It was humiliating and it was devastating.

I did the same thing all they way through grammar school and junior high. The only cards I ever got were from my teachers so I stopped bothering with it once I hit high school.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bradford Mint said:

I agree, we can't get to the point where we protect the feelings of a student who lost to the degree that they never learn to cope with losing in life. It's only through seeing where they lose/win that they learn what they're good at -- learn what to focus on in future endeavors so that they contribute to society with their talents. However, it's not really encouraging them to be a "snowflake" if we say something like "hey, this isn't what you're good at, but there will be something else you can succeed at in other contests". In this way, a childs self-esteem is preserved -- we don't want to run children into the ground so that they feel like a loser at their very core.

I'm not sure how many schools enact this "everyone wins" philosophy in their teachings...is it common? Perhaps some teachers here know. If it happens infrequently I don't see the harm as it does demonstrate there are other factors to consider in competition with others -- possibly factors that are even more important than winning.

Overall in the world I think we focus too much on conquering and winning over others -- males especially get a double dose of socialization in this area. It could be what's driving us to extinction -- trampling over other people and every living thing in order to somehow 'win' or 'progress'.
There's more to childrearing than making a child "tough".
It appears that how one plays the game is more important than winning.

Just now, Talligurl said:

nor I

Message to all guys here then.

Cupid Linden has been around since 2006 and every year late in January he logs on to offer his messenger services to everybody in SL. He's shy and may be hard to find but he's here. And I'm sure he will be next year too so there's still a chance!

46 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I was an awkward gangly child, thus I figured out at a young age how superficial much of it was.  The "popular" kids in my classes were the super cute ones or the ones with a great outgoing personality or the ones with money.  I fit into none of those categories.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
13 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

Any Saints have no bearing, my point is that it's not a public holiday, such as Christmas which is a traditional holiday.

The English tradition as referenced in the thread, pertains to the gesture of sending something to a significant love interest and usually, anonymously.

To then reduce this tradition by generally wishing everyone on the day a Happy Valentine's Day is just incorrect.

I watched an American film the other night, in one scene a chap checked in at the hotel and just as he was about to leave the reception desk, the receptionist looked up and said "Oh, Happy valentine's Day!" and then added a fake smile.

That's exactly what I mean when I say that is reducing the novelty sentiment behind the tradition to diluted fake nothing.

Our entire culture, heritage and history  has been reduced to a diluted fake nothing. Thats the new reality.

There is no abolute truth -- relgions and holidays morph over time, and they mean different things to different people.

Nobody is offending anybody else because they don't see things the way you do. For example, if somebody says 'Merry Christmas' to me, I just say 'Happy Holidays' to them.

A couple years ago someone brought a plate of Valentine cookies to my door on Valentine's Day, dropping off the efforts of her baking bliss to many of the people we both knew. It did not dilute anything for me because these delicious cookies went to other people too.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.