Somebody loves me...

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

It seems to me that the sentiment of Valentine's Day has become entirely lost. It's not a public holiday, everyone is not your Valentine, thus wishing everyone a "Happy Valentine's Day" is inappropriate somewhat!

Just thought I'd drop that on a thread.

Are you familiar with the origins of Valentine's Day? Things tend to evolve over time.

Do you really want people to go back to sacrificing goats and dogs?

https://www.npr.org/2011/02/14/133693152/the-dark-origins-of-valentines-day

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

It seems to me that the sentiment of Valentine's Day has become entirely lost. It's not a public holiday, everyone is not your Valentine, thus wishing everyone a "Happy Valentine's Day" is inappropriate somewhat!

Just thought I'd drop that on a thread.

You weren’t in school and had a box for the other kids to give you Valentine’s cards? I’m sorry for you.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You weren’t in school and had a box for the other kids to give you Valentine’s cards? I’m sorry for you.

Nope, I would send a card to someone of interest or maybe they would send me one but as I'm not a love interest of everyone that I meet on Valentine's Day, saying it to me just comes across as a pointless, disingenuous comment with zero substance. Might as well wish me happy grumpy day, at least I'll smile back at them instead of giving them a perplexed look as I wonder why they've bothered to say Happy Valentine's Day for no applicable reason! :)

Besides, it's not a day that I celebrate.

Just now, Bradford Mint said:

Nope, I would send a card to someone of interest or maybe they would send me one but as I'm not a love interest of everyone that I meet on Valentine's Day, saying it to me just comes across as a pointless, disingenuous comment with zero substance. Might as well wish me happy grumpy day, at least I'll smile back at them instead of giving them a perplexed look as I wonder why they've bothered to say Happy Valentine's Day for no applicable reason! :)

Besides, it's not a day that I celebrate.

My point was, and I didn’t explain it well at all, when some of us were very very young, the tradition was to give everyone in the class a card. That way everyone felt special.

24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My point was, and I didn’t explain it well at all, when some of us were very very young, the tradition was to give everyone in the class a card. That way everyone felt special.

Nooooo, that's like the school sports days where "everyone is a winner".

Just no. Life is competitive, deal with it.

For me, just spamming cards would dilute the sentiment because nobody is special by the sheer virtue of everyone being the same.

32 minutes ago, Bradford Mint said:

Nooooo, that's like the school sports days where "everyone is a winner".

Just no. Life is competitive, deal with it.

For me, just spamming cards would dilute the sentiment because nobody is special by the sheer virtue of everyone being the same.

But when you are like, six years old, it’s fun.

5 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Please see the link I posted above. Valentine's dates back to the 3rd century AD.

Yes, that's what I said although I wasn't quite that specific ;):

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That is, Valentine's day is one of the many old catholic feast days celebrating various saints. So it is a part of the underlying Western tradition and it always has a love or friendship theme. But the way it is traditionally celebrated, if at all, differs a lot.

I wasn't talking about Valentine's day in general but about the specific tradition with the focus on lving couples, Valentine cards and Valentine gifts. That's a fairly recent (at least according to wikipedia) tradition and lovely as it is, it's definitely a very specificlly English one. It spread fairly quickly to those English colonies that were dominated by English immigrants and to the USA. The rest of the world learned about it through Hollywood.

34 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes, that's what I said although I wasn't quite that specific ;):

Please show me where?

10 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Don't forget that Second Life is international. Valentine's day as you know it, is not. It's a 19th century English invention that only really was known in English speaking countries until recently.

That is, Valentine's day is one of the many old catholic feast days celebrating various saints. So it is a part of the underlying Western tradition and it always has a love or friendship theme. But the way it is traditionally celebrated, if at all, differs a lot. In Norway where I live, it's not even marked on a regular calendar. I'm not sure I even knew about Calentine's Day the Anglo-American way until a few years ago when I watched an episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

Many other cultures also have a day celebrating love or friendship but those are of course not related to any christian tradition and it seems they tend to be in autumn.

I don't see any mention of the 3rd century Roman celebration in which Valentine's Day has its roots.

From the link I posted:

From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia.

[...]

The ancient Romans may also be responsible for the name of our modern day of love. Emperor Claudius II executed two men — both named Valentine — on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D. Their martyrdom was honored by the Catholic Church with the celebration of St. Valentine's Day.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Please show me where?

I don't see any mention of the 3rd century Roman celebration in which Valentine's Day has its roots.

I said it was ancient and named after saints. I did not mention any specific dating or how the two Valentines gained their sainthood because quite frankly I can't for my life see how that Level of Detail is relevant to this discussion.

Edited by ChinRey

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

I said it was ancient and named after saints. I did not mention any specific dating or how the two Valentines gained their sainthood because quite frankly I can't for my life see how that Level of Detail is relevant to this discussion.

I thought Bradford's interjection needed a few details to help keep things in perspective. Pardon me for butting in with relevant information some are not aware of.

Any Saints have no bearing, my point is that it's not a public holiday, such as Christmas which is a traditional holiday.

The English tradition as referenced in the thread, pertains to the gesture of sending something to a significant love interest and usually, anonymously.

To then reduce this tradition by generally wishing everyone on the day a Happy Valentine's Day is just incorrect.

I watched an American film the other night, in one scene a chap checked in at the hotel and just as he was about to leave the reception desk, the receptionist looked up and said "Oh, Happy valentine's Day!" and then added a fake smile.

That's exactly what I mean when I say that is reducing the novelty sentiment behind the tradition to diluted fake nothing.

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But when you are like, six years old, it’s fun.

Education starts early:-

Teacher addresses the class of six year olds: "Some of you will grow up to be more beautiful than others, some of you will have more money. Some will be more spiritual and some will just be funnier. Life is competitive, start learning now." 

I'd make a great teacher. 

9 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I thought Bradford's interjection needed a few details to help keep things in perspective. Pardon me for butting in with relevant information some are not aware of.

Oh yes, I see your point then. :)

• Thanks 1

It wasn't mentioned until not long before this post, but, traditionally (in my lifetime, anyway) Valentine cards were given to a love interest anonymously. So not knowing who send it, Coby, is in keeping with that tradition.

'Love interest' isn't really accurate because, although it can be a 'love' interest, it is also a 'fancy' interest.

Note: It wasn't me who sent it, although, in your case, Coby, it could easily have been ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

Any Saints have no bearing, my point is that it's not a public holiday, such as Christmas which is a traditional holiday.

The English tradition as referenced in the thread, pertains to the gesture of sending something to a significant love interest and usually, anonymously.

To then reduce this tradition by generally wishing everyone on the day a Happy Valentine's Day is just incorrect.

I watched an American film the other night, in one scene a chap checked in at the hotel and just as he was about to leave the reception desk, the receptionist looked up and said "Oh, Happy valentine's Day!" and then added a fake smile.

That's exactly what I mean when I say that is reducing the novelty sentiment behind the tradition to diluted fake nothing.

Our entire culture, heritage and history  has been reduced to a diluted fake nothing. Thats the new reality. Enjoy

I am so done with these forums.

*flouncing out the door she says.. "see you inworld"*

6 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

Education starts early:-

Teacher addresses the class of six year olds: "Some of you will grow up to be more beautiful than others, some of you will have more money. Some will be more spiritual and some will just be funnier. Life is competitive, start learning now." 

I'd make a great teacher. 

I agree, life is competitive...but this fact does not have to mean one can't respect their competitor (or even love them).

Competition helps us learn and develop our skills -- in many areas we can't see the level we're at unless we can compare our skills to others.
I don't want to destroy my competitor, come in for 'the kill' at the end if my argument or skill is 'best', or revel at the fact I came out on top. I'd be more inclined to thank the competitor for helping me develop my skills at the end of a contest.

I've actually been helped by competitors in SL, for example, and I've helped others who were my competition. I've also encountered cut-throat creeps who wanted nothing but to tear me down and win over me while I was left in the dust as they went on their 'victorious' way.
Choose your friends wisely.

6 hours ago, Bradford Mint said:

reducing the novelty sentiment behind the tradition to diluted fake nothing

I don't like fakeness, but I think what you're describing here could be defined as 'politeness', almost like saying 'have a nice day' to strangers when you part from them. Since many holidays are accepted by the majority it seems many are trying to be polite and 'go with the flow' by acknowledging them in public. I don't mind this as long as they aren't forcing it on me. In this day and age of too much rudeness and negativity I think it best to take something offered in kindness whenever you can!

I do remember, however, with my soon-to-be husband, in our teen-age 'wisdom', declaring that holidays were stupid & fake and we vowed not to follow them. Of course, we had a better way to run the world in so many areas...lol.

7 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

It wasn't mentioned until not long before this post, but, traditionally (in my lifetime, anyway) Valentine cards were given to a love interest anonymously. So not knowing who send it, Coby, is in keeping with that tradition.

'Love interest' isn't really accurate because, although it can be a 'love' interest, it is also a 'fancy' interest.

Note: It wasn't me who sent it, although, in your case, Coby, it could easily have been ;)

Phil, are you talking to an imaginary friend?  Or maybe someone around here has a nickname that I don't know about, or possibly LL removed a post.  

I have gone back and looked through this entire thread 3 times now and I still don't see a post by anyone named Coby.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1854 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.