Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Toolinator

Disable looking through walls

Recommended Posts

If you set the small parcel to group only and then also add a security orb that covers the entire parcel, even those who fly high trying to see inside the parcel will be teleported out of the parcel. This is the closest thing to privacy in SL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yes there is. It's called a banlist. 

only for parcels, when you have a full sim, not parceled, simple set to group only ,will keep everybody else out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh for cripe sake ....

The user was already told about sim wide access lists, had the effectiveness explained concerning the use cases they brought up and they asked a few more, specific questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Yes there is. It's called a banlist. 

I pay Linden 307$ CAD for the estate , island or whatever it's called.

I make people part of the group that is allowed on the island (I don't have to ban everyone I don't want on the estate I hope)

The people on the white list are allowed on the island (I don't collect anything from them and sell them the parcels @ 1$ ) 

Set the whole estate as a no fly zone (can I make the whole estate no teleport as well? )

With those conditions in place can I enforce no looking at the avatars in the parcel from outside the parcel on the estate using ban lines ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

Set the whole estate as a no fly zone (can I make the whole estate no teleport as well? )

Setting to no fly does no good. Everyone who uses the Firestorm viewer, and I'm pretty sure most TPVs, have the ability to override no fly. So don't depend on that for anything!!

 

No one tells me where I can or can't fly!!!! :P

 

Edited by Blush Bravin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

With those conditions in place can I enforce no looking at the avatars in the parcel from outside the parcel on the estate using ban lines ?

 

7 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If you set the small parcel to group only and then also add a security orb that covers the entire parcel, even those who fly high trying to see inside the parcel will be teleported out of the parcel. This is the closest thing to privacy in SL.

Only way I know to achieve what you are after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toolinator said:

I pay Linden 307$ CAD for the estate , island or whatever it's called.

I make people part of the group that is allowed on the island (I don't have to ban everyone I don't want on the estate I hope)

The people on the white list are allowed on the island (I don't collect anything from them and sell them the parcels @ 1$ ) 

Set the whole estate as a no fly zone (can I make the whole estate no teleport as well? )

With those conditions in place can I enforce no looking at the avatars in the parcel from outside the parcel on the estate using ban lines ?

 

...

No. Your group members can simply fly elsewhere before teleporting into the sim (no, you cannot prevent them from doing this) and as mentioned earlier, general purpose ban lines do not prevent access in the whole vertical portion of the parcel. Anyone within the group that has sim level access can circumvent your proposed method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

...

No. Your group members can simply fly elsewhere before teleporting into the sim (no, you cannot prevent them from doing this) and as mentioned earlier, general purpose ban lines do not prevent access in the whole vertical portion of the parcel. Anyone within the group that has sim level access can circumvent your proposed method.

The whole estate is surrounded by water on all four sides and I set advertising the estate to "No" .  I can't fly off the island but people can fly on to it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Setting to no fly does no good. Everyone who uses the Firestorm viewer, and I'm pretty sure most TPVs, have the ability to override no fly. So don't depend on that for anything!!

 

No one tells me where I can or can't fly!!!! :P

 

All Second Life clients can circumvent No Fly, some TPVs simply found a way to separate that ability/flag from general Linden Admin access mode/requests (the older method for doing so involved using an option in the Advanced/Developer menu system that - when activated - gave access to No Flay circumvention and allowed general users the ability to see a few things they normally couldn't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toolinator said:

The whole estate is surrounded by water on all four sides and I set advertising the estate to "No" .  I can't fly off the island but people can fly on to it ?

No one can "fly" onto your island from outside. But they can teleport to it. And if they are flying before they teleport then will be flying when they enter your estate. But as I said before I could land not flying on your estate and check the box in my viewer to overide no fly .. and then fly anywhere I like in your estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toolinator said:

The whole estate is surrounded by water on all four sides and I set advertising the estate to "No" .  I can't fly off the island but people can fly on to it ?

Oh for ...

No, they cannot enter from the Void.

Sim itself set to Group Only access? Group members can teleport in while flying from any location outside of the sim and still retain flight - as long as they do not land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

No one can "fly" onto your island from outside. But they can teleport to it. And if they are flying before they teleport then will be flying when they enter your estate. But as I said before I could land not flying on your estate and check the box in my viewer to overide no fly .. and then fly anywhere I like in your estate.

So you can't stop people from teleporting to your island without banning everyone on second life except the 9 people that I want on it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to stop others from looking inside private homes. You must do this:

  • Set each private home parcel to group access only (each home should have it's own group)
  • Install a security orb for each private parcel that covers the entire private parcel and set to 0 notice for booting people out of the parcel. This orb can be set to allow group members or can use a white list.

 

Edited by Blush Bravin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

these days most.. or at least a lot, estate owners add their full sim/homestead renters to the manager lists, they have, at a few minor thing left, full control about access and most other estate functions.

Fruit Islands grants full estate rights on homesteads and full sims. Or they did when I had my homestead. Ownership has since changed hands so I don't know if that policy has ever changed. I don't think it has.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Toolinator...you need to understand some basic stuff.  Read the Knowledgebase, as others suggested.  Some key points:

1.  A "region" or "sim" is a grid square on the map, 256 x 256 meters.  If you bought a private region from LL, your monthly land fee is $249 USD (you'll have to convert that to your currency, and add Value Added Tax, if applicable.)

2.  You can keep everyone out of your private island, or allow only members of a specific group to go there, or only members you specifically put on the access list.

The above only restricts physical access.  But if your island is not adjacent to any other regions, then nobody can "lurk outside" the borders and see in.

(Digression.  Your region may be "surrounded by water" in two different ways.  Look on your map.  If the areas of water around your region also have region names, then they are active regions, and people can exist there.  If the "water" around your region is flat, unshaded blue and there are no region names, then that is what we call "void".  It looks like water, but that space is only on the map and has no other existence.  Try walking there, from the edge of your region...you can't, it's like there is an invisible wall.  Nobody can be out there, to spy on you.)

Now, the next part.

3.  You can subdivide your region up into smaller parcels.  For each parcel, you can put up banlines, preventing physical access (although since you have already kept trespassers out of the entire region, there's no reason to do that.)

4.  You can also limit the ability of people outside a parcel of land to see people who are on that parcel, or hear nearby chat from them...the invisibility works both ways.  People on the parcel can't seen or hear chat from anyone outside the parcel.  So, if you want to engage in Naughty Stuff in your house, and keep others outside from seeing that, you can.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

only for parcels, when you have a full sim, not parceled, simple set to group only ,will keep everybody else out.

Not only for parcels but I get what you mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toolinator said:

So you can't stop people from teleporting to your island without banning everyone on second life except the 9 people that I want on it ?

...

Ok, I am seriously starting to wonder a few things here ...

You have had Access Lists and Estate controls explained to you in this thread. Your question was already answered - several times now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey, Toolinator...you need to understand some basic stuff.  Read the Knowledgebase, as others suggested.  Some key points:

1.  A "region" or "sim" is a grid square on the map, 256 x 256 meters.  If you bought a private region from LL, your monthly land fee is $249 USD (you'll have to convert that to your currency, and add Value Added Tax, if applicable.)

2.  You can keep everyone out of your private island, or allow only members of a specific group to go there, or only members you specifically put on the access list.

The above only restricts physical access.  But if your island is not adjacent to any other regions, then nobody can "lurk outside" the borders and see in.

Now, the next part.

3.  You can subdivide your region up into smaller parcels.  For each parcel, you can put up banlines, preventing physical access (although since you have already kept trespassers out of the entire region, there's no reason to do that.)

4.  You can also limit the ability of people outside a parcel of land to see people who are on that parcel, or hear nearby chat from them...the invisibility works both ways.  People on the parcel can't seen or hear chat from anyone outside the parcel.  So, if you want to engage in Naughty Stuff in your house, and keep others outside from seeing that, you can.

In one form or another, this information was already covered and the limitations also covered.

Though perhaps having it spelled out as such will cut through whatever is preventing it from being absorbed.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see this happen all the time in the group I moderate. When someone asks a question and they get answers from numerous people all coming at them at the same time, it's confusing. I don't think the OP is at fault for being confused by so many answers. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

In one form or another, this information was already covered and the limitations also covered.

Yes, I know.  I often re-state answers in a form I hope will be more easily understood, especially when it appears the OP has NOT understood.  If you find this repetition boring, just move along.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes, I know.  I often re-state answers in a form I hope will be more easily understood, especially when it appears the OP has NOT understood.  If you find this repetition boring, just move along.

See the edit above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey, Toolinator...you need to understand some basic stuff.  Read the Knowledgebase, as others suggested.  Some key points:

1.  A "region" or "sim" is a grid square on the map, 256 x 256 meters.  If you bought a private region from LL, your monthly land fee is $249 USD (you'll have to convert that to your currency, and add Value Added Tax, if applicable.)

2.  You can keep everyone out of your private island, or allow only members of a specific group to go there, or only members you specifically put on the access list.

The above only restricts physical access.  But if your island is not adjacent to any other regions, then nobody can "lurk outside" the borders and see in.

Now, the next part.

3.  You can subdivide your region up into smaller parcels.  For each parcel, you can put up banlines, preventing physical access (although since you have already kept trespassers out of the entire region, there's no reason to do that.)

4.  You can also limit the ability of people outside a parcel of land to see people who are on that parcel, or hear nearby chat from them...the invisibility works both ways.  People on the parcel can't seen or hear chat from anyone outside the parcel.  So, if you want to engage in Naughty Stuff in your house, and keep others outside from seeing that, you can.

Thank you for answering the question completely. Yes I have control over the island from shore to shore and only want to stop my adult children from "camera viewing" into our house. They have there own house on the island that they can do what they want with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toolinator said:

Thank you for answering the question completely. Yes I have control over the island from shore to shore and only want to stop my adult children from "camera viewing" into our house. They have there own house on the island that they can do what they want with.

Congrats on affording an entire sim.

Want to stop them from camming in? You'll have to explicitly ban them from your parcel on said island.

Much of this thread would not presently exist if you'd stated some of this much earlier.

To recap for you:

  • Yes, you can prevent the general userbase from accessing the sim by setting the entire estate - at estate level - to a group.
  • Once this is done you then need to set a separate parcel for your own home on the sim.
  • Got that individual parcel made? Good. Set it so only those on the parcel can see/interact with others on it.
  • Once you have that done, add your "children" to that parcel's ban list.

The above steps will keep the general userbase off of your sim and prevent your "children" from being able to see what you are up to. What it will not do is keep them from moving their camera into the structure and seeing any furniture/posters/etc that are present. It will only prevent them from seeing or otherwise interacting with others on that parcel and will prevent their "physical" access.

Edited by Solar Legion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer: Other than banning everyone from the entire sim there's no way to stop them from camming into your house. Best you can do is make them unable to see avatars in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...