EMOTE SAMPLE!??

Mailie Bellflower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

An "emote" usually refers to a chat emote.  That's a way of expressing a feeling or an action in text form.

You start an emote by typing "/me" (without the quotation marks) in local chat or IM.  Some viewers, like Firestorm, allow you to use a colon instead of /me, which saves keystrokes.

Let's say you just told me a funny joke.  I could type "hahahaha!", in which case the chat window looks like this:

Lindal Kidd: hahahahaha!

Or, I could type the emote, "/me laughs!", in which case the chat window looks like this:

Lindal Kidd laughs!

The colon that normally appears after your name isn't there, and the chat is therefore describing your action, rather than showing words that you are "speaking".

Emotes can be fairly lengthy.  Let's say we are at the beach and decide to go swimming.  I might emote this with:

Lindal Kidd strips off her top and pants, revealing a skimpy bikini, and runs laughing into the surf.

For an emote to look correct, remember to speak of yourself in the third person.

• Like 1

Out here in the forums, your name doesn't appear in front of the text you post, as in in-world chat. Yet there are times we want to emote and we all have different ways of doing that. Some people use the same "/me" that works in-world, so you'd see...

/me sets Lindal's top and pants on fire while she's out laughing in the surf.

I introduce emotes with an ellipsis, like this...

...invites all her friends to watch Lindal try to hop on the city bus, wearing nothing but her skimpy bikini.

I'd give more examples, but I'm already in enough trouble.

• Haha 2

Emotes are most commonly used in role play scenarios. They fill in the emotional and difficult to animate behaviors of the avatar providing color and drama to the chat text. While there are HUDs that expand on what the avatar can do it is often inconvenient to wear all the HUDs one might need. So, emotes are used.

So, a love tap might be emoted as: /me  slams her clenched fist into the losers chin using her body to drive her stiff arm pushrf by her legs pushing down driving her so hard into his chin he lifts off the floor.

..or something equally endearing.

Different role play (RP) communities have different ideas of how emoting should be done. The larger communities offer classes in RP and cover emothing.

In local and group chat outside of RP emotes are mostly used to add humor or express a feeling. /me is gobsmacked by Lindal's display of near nudity.

Emojis are more often used here in the forum for the same purpose. :) Emojis are frowned 😣 on in most serious RP games. Those RP games more about spontaneity and fun than dramatic writing and storytelling are less strict and you can get away with more.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1896 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.