inventory in cloud?

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What if LLs created  an online cloud space for members  so one could work one inventory with no downloads on PC as to keep to the requirements of TOS.

Could this be a possibility, to be able to work without being on SL  and maybe colour code folders and directories

Edited by greek Wingtips
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

one can work without being in sl, I know you can put on do not disturb but still would mean stopping all notices coming in ect, offline I think would be a nice little add on and maybe also colour code directory titles  and folders

So you want to be offline because you're easily distracted? This is foreign to me because I almost always have multiple things going anytime I'm in SL. As a creator, I have to learn to focus while also paying attention to what is going on around me. Of course it's no skin off my nose if LL can provide this service for those who would find it useful. I'd be bored as hell with it though. :) 

• Like 2

My main concern would be opportunity cost: Whatever development goes into this would not be going into other features that might have a bigger impact on retention.

And it's more than trivial development, too, because it would need to be at least as reliable (and secure) as current in-world inventory operations which took many years to get as robust as they are now.

Looking at the new Auctions page, still not feature-complete and now months behind the expected date for resident-to-resident auctions, does not inspire confidence. And the very last thing any of us need is to have our Inventories corrupted, adding to the support backlog if fixable at all.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Did you know that your inventory is downloaded onto your computer every time you log in? You could parse and edit this file directly outside the viewer, but nobody has created any tools to do this in a user-friendly way as far as I know. 

it ""more or less" been around in the form of a offline inventory viewer

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory/Stored_Inventory

problem with these tools are permissions as soon it's posisble to change it offline..... if you can get it on your own HD to work on... it's also possible to change more.... (and if not, there will be enough work arounds very fast)

27 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it ""more or less" been around in the form of a offline inventory viewer

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory/Stored_Inventory

problem with these tools are permissions as soon it's posisble to change it offline..... if you can get it on your own HD to work on... it's also possible to change more.... (and if not, there will be enough work arounds very fast)

I don't think that's what I'm talking about. Doesn't sound like it. I don't mean exporting any assets, I'm talking about the local copy of your inventory that your viewer downloads from LL's database every time you connect, which doesn't contain any actual data but placeholders/pointers to them. You couldn't copy or edit these (not because of permissions but because the new copy/edit wouldn't have a new UUID), only move or delete them and you'd need to send updates back to LL about what you're changing so the real database/inventory is affected, just like normal viewers have to do.

It would basically be a text-only viewer, minus chat, with extra tools specifically for inventory sorting. Or maybe (ideally) it wouldn't even require a login until you were done and wanted to send the updates in bulk.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I would like to work on the inventory without downloading and installing Second Life on 'that' computer.

I often have free time, but not with my personal computer. I am not familiar with the "cloud" and how it works. I wonder if it can help me with that.

As an example, I picked up 20 gifts/15 L each for a Valentine hunt yesterday. I haven't had time to sort them. It would be so nice if I could make a folder in the inventory and move them there, to clean up when I am not home (Not home in RL, but with access to another computer). Also moving notecard, landmarks and unpacker scripts to the trash. Such small things would help on maintenance for all my avatars.

I am now logging in my other female avatars to get the Valentine hunt since it's ending today. If I had only one avatar, I could do the cleanup in the inventory for her, but....

LL does earn money on me having more than one. All my avatars are mesh from top to toe and I spend money on them, they aren't freebie hoarders.

Edited by Marianne Little
added to clarify

On 2/13/2019 at 6:40 AM, greek Wingtips said:

I think the inventory plays a massive part in SL and am not sure what developments you think may proceed this , maybe you can enlighten us what you feel could to with a massive development plan???

Personally, I think by far the most important thing for the survival of SL is a viable mobile viewer. Doesn't need to have everything the desktop viewers have, but more than Lumiya. The Lab is apparently working on it behind the scenes, but it's something they should have had five years ago. The SL userbase would be a lot healthier now if it had.

But besides that: I almost never touch my Inventory, except very rarely when there's enough junk in Objects or top level that I start worrying about the 10K-per-folder limit. Otherwise I treat it pretty much the same as I've handled email since I got my early invitation to gmail: hands-off, no filing, no tagging, just rely on search and chronological sort to find anything. So, for me, it doesn't take much to be more valuable than offline Inventory management.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

but it's something they should have had five years ago.

These statements really crack me up. Uh... they DID have it five years ago. I was one of the beta testers. It flopped big-time. Oh, and it was also going to be a paid-for service by subscription. are you willing to pay RL money for such?

(Generally-speaking to all, not directed to @Qie Niangao The funny thing for so many of you is that your genius idea that Linden Lab already thought of since before you ever heard of Second Life and tried to implement turned out to be EPICFAIL or it would already be here.  Those of us here since before the 2010's can easily tell you as we watched those train-wrecks happen as it happened. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

These statements really crack me up. Uh... they DID have it five years ago. I was one of the beta testers. It flopped big-time. Oh, and it was also going to be a paid-for service by subscription. are you willing to pay RL money for such?

(Generally-speaking to all, not directed to @Qie Niangao The funny thing for so many of you is that your genius idea that Linden Lab already thought of since before you ever heard of Second Life and tried to implement turned out to be EPICFAIL or it would already be here.  Those of us here since before the 2010's can easily tell you as we watched those train-wrecks happen as it happened. LOL

Yes, it was an epic fail then but that was then and this is now. There has been a changing of the guards. Some of those LL employees are no longer working for LL. Perhaps, with some fresh(er) blood they will get closer to getting it right this time. They might even get it right enough that they just have to modify some coding to make it right.

On the other hand, this is LL we are talking about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh...and the only reason my inventory on this account is now below 30k is because I keep things like textures boxed until I need to use them. My other accounts are different. They just don't have that much stuff. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

That must have been one of the Server-Side Rendering attempts, right? To be fair, five years ago the graphics power of a mobile phone or tablet may have been weak enough that SSR seemed a better approach (ridiculously high network bandwidth demand notwithstanding). But there were worse problems, too: they did very little to adapt the UI to a handheld, touch-control device, so the whole scheme was doomed from the start.

That's no guarantee they won't repeat the same mistakes, but they would seem sillier now.

28 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

That must have been one of the Server-Side Rendering attempts, right? To be fair, five years ago the graphics power of a mobile phone or tablet may have been weak enough that SSR seemed a better approach (ridiculously high network bandwidth demand notwithstanding). But there were worse problems, too: they did very little to adapt the UI to a handheld, touch-control device, so the whole scheme was doomed from the start.

That's no guarantee they won't repeat the same mistakes, but they would seem sillier now.

There were a couple versions, one was a server-side rendering and THAT one was horrific - imagine the exact same viewer UI on a 3.5" smartphone screen (was before the gigantic phones LOL) - the other one was okay, but again: the UI was too small and it rezzed things more slowly (and seems to be a little more "pixelated").

For a time (maybe three years ago) I purchased an AWESOME iOS app (I forget what's called right now, it only *just* stopped working) - that does *everything* you could possibly want to do in SL except 1) rez stuff and 2) See anything. As long as it didn't require manipulating anything rezzed - you could do it. Sit on things, stand-up, TP anywhere, Chat, IM, Pay others, Create, edit, save notecards, Play with ("Organize" your inventory, literally anything - other than interacting with rezzed stuff or seeing anything.

It's too bad the devs haven't continued with it because I have not seen anything even come close to what it did. Was the best $5 I ever spend toward my SL (though not necessary now as I don't run sims anymore).

Best thing to get what you (and others) want is to raise some money, hire a Developer to develop both: Android and iOS version that does everything other than actually render the world (many Devs for hire companies that will do this). Then sell it on both app store.

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.