Does Linden Lab Terms of Service allows for adults to sell SL virtual 3D products for real life children while having a child avatar?

MeshPromo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

26 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Um, that was Phorumities who posted a link to  Encyclopedia Britannica, not you.. 

So, I'm a little confused as to what you mean. I actually agree with 90% of what you say and have, to my recollection, not attacked you over anything. 

Dude... alt.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Except that legally a 16 year old is still a child..

Depends on the country. I know that at least were I'm from, the law makes distinctions between a child and someone who is 16 years old. And I can't imagine that even the US doesn't have a seperations in rights, restrictions and laws between actual children/babies/infants and 16 year olds.

5 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Depends on the country. I know that at least were I'm from, the law makes distinctions between a child and someone who is 16 years old. And I can't imagine that even the US doesn't have a seperations in rights, restrictions and laws between actual children/babies/infants and 16 year olds.

In most states you are considered adult enough at 15/16/17 to be issued a learner's permit to drive. You must have an adult licensed driver with you though.

There are other situations where teens are considered adult enough. Let's not confuse legal privileges with age of consent.

8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In most states you are considered adult enough at 15/16/17 to be issued a learner's permit to drive. You must have an adult licensed driver with you though.

There are other situations where teens are considered adult enough. Let's not confuse legal privileges with age of consent.

I only know the legal differences in my own country and there rights and abilities as well as responsibilities grow with age... but it sounds so wrong to call a 16 year old a child.

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

I only know the legal differences in my own country and there rights and abilities as well as responsibilities grow with age... but it sounds so wrong to call a 16 year old a child.

It is and it isn't wrong to call a 16 year old a child. For one thing it depends on the individual's level of maturity. Some mature faster than others. Sixteen year olds are usually mature enough to be responsible for their own decisions and actions but they aren't mature enough to make legal decisions for themselves. They aren't a young child but they aren't quite a young adult yet.

ETA: In some ways they're sort of stuck in a kind of limbo.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

Considering that the provisions in the TOS related to child/adult prohibitions are sexual in nature, one would consider the normally accepted legal definition for child in the US. Granted states are the ones who set the definition for their own state, but when in relation to determining sexual abuse I believe 18 is the legal standard in the USA for reaching the age of consent.

The restrictions provided in the TOS aren't in relation to whether someone is old enough to drive or buy alcohol. If a 40 something year old is targeting a 16 year old and making sexual advances, I would consider the 16 year old a child by comparison, and so would the courts.

11 hours ago, MeshPromo said:

for the purpose of interacting with a minor

This is the key part. You're not allowed to (wittingly) interact with a minor by posing as a minor.

It is very unlikely that you will ever interact with a minor on SL for the following reason: Minors aren't allowed in SL. Hence, they aren't allowed to buy your products. There's always a chance that you may unwittingly interact with a minor. This chance is very very small for the following reasons:

A fraction of the total SL population may actually consist of minors posing as adults.

A small fraction of these minors in SL may actually be able to purchase products in SL.

One level deeper, a small fraction of the minors that are able to purchase things may pose as minors and buy child-related products--theoretically-- we're already in the realm of the astronomically unlikely here.

And then there's this: even if a minor, who has the wit and motivation to gain access to SL, and is able to get their hands on their parents' credit card or obtain L$ by other means, and somehow decides to pose as a minor and buy children's objects and finds their way through the multitude of kids' stores to yours, you still will not be able to tell if it's a minor. Because your 'interaction' only consists of a little cash register sound and a popup window. If an actual minor bought your products, you are not to blame. The only person violating the ToS will be the kid who poses as an adult who poses as a child. Unless you KNOW it's an actual minor.

If you ever meet someone and suspect beyond reasonable doubt that they are a minor, (i) ask them if you can talk/type to their parents and (ii) AR them. If they don't comply, (i) tell them they are breaking the law and they need to log off and (ii) AR them.

If you sell childs' stuff in SL to someone and you can't tell if they are an actual minor IRL, it's not your problem.

* Minor beyond reasonable doubt = human being with a squeaky voice calling you a ***** (rhymes with lag) on Voice and threatening to perform lewd acts with your mother

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Added footnote

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've heard that when you lie too much it becomes difficult to keep everything straight, so best just to tell the truth.

Oh I tried telling the truth, but these forums can't handle the truth.

*grins*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOxEwCuEgQ

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a link

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I dunno, there's a few people in these forums that are way older than 16, and I'd defo call them children

3 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

And when you agreed to the ToS you accepted the laws of California and the US governed SL. Which makes a 16 year old legally a child. 16 year olds in the US still have to see a pediatrician or at least a doctor who is also one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

How was i supposed to know? 

I'm supposed to keep track of whos alt is whos? With all of the people on the forums? Hell I'm lucky i know i posted something. Was there a thread where people outed their own alts? I missed it if there was. 

Well... for some of us it was kind of obvious once she was back as BilliJo. 

It just kind of boggled my mind that you never thought of someone using an alt to post, whether they had been banned on another account or not. I apologize for being surprised you didn't think of it.

ETA: If that sounded sarcastic, it wasn't meant to be.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Well... for some of us it was kind of obvious once she was back as BilliJo. 

It just kind of boggled my mind that you never thought of someone using an alt to post, whether they had been banned on another account or not. I apologize for being surprised you didn't think of it.

No, i understand people using alts to post, i just didn't think they were the same person. Of course, people aren't supposed to use an alt to get around a banning, so outing oneself publicly is kind of ... stupid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

No, i understand people using alts to post, i just didn't think they were the same person. Of course, people aren't supposed to use an alt to get around a banning, so outing oneself publicly is kind of ... stupid. 

Well yeah but I wasn't going to say it.

7 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Well I never ever used an alt to get around a banning, but the way they hand out punishments, it makes more sense to use one account inworld and one account in the forums.

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I thought everyone knew it was me. People started accusing me of being Phorumities after just a few weeks. I never admitted it, but after a while, I started regularly talking about my main (me).

I kind of did too and I wasn't even back yet when you first.. well... you know. You didn't try to hide it. I saw that much pretty much right off the bat. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.