Conversion starters

Derekmate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love this, what kind of responses do you get?

@Gabriele Graves
Mostly the conversation will turn into a sudden silence. But also be prepared for a "fu.. off". Horny guys (the naked ones with permanent errection) dont like that answer at all ^^

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo and misquote
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gluehwuermchen Tornado said:

Hi, I know Germany, german bratwurst, beer and Bayern Munchen! 

I better dont judge anyone about that kind of knowledge. If someone tells me he is from the netherlands, my mind spins around tulips, gouda cheese and weed. :)
What i do like to tell about germany is the lack of a good public wifi reception, the not so bad highways and the low food prices in general.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I better dont judge anyone about that kind of knowledge. If someone tells me he is from the netherlands, my mind spins around tulips, gouda cheese and weed. :)
What i do like to tell about germany is the lack of a good public wifi reception, the not so bad highways and the low food prices in general.

Not to forget the tale of the dutch tulip craze and Mrs. Antje from Holland 🙊🙈
Sometimes it is just too funny 🤣

Are you kidding me Resi? Where do you live when you talk about the NOT SO BAD highways? 🤪

Edited by Gluehwuermchen Tornado
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gluehwuermchen Tornado said:

Hi, I know Germany, german bratwurst, beer and Bayern Munchen!

Germany and I are very close friends indeed!

A decade ago I wouldn't have thought much of it, we did have a little something called 'geography' in school after all - however, having interacted with people across the globe (Ah-murr-ih-khans *cough*) I've found that people don't appear all too familiar with the little space rock we call home. Genuine conversation I had with someone who tried to 'hit me up' a few years back:

- 'u know, I'm 1/62th* cherokee' (*yes, not 1/64th - I didn't care to ask).
   - 'Oh?'
   - 'yea, indian blood is cool'
   - 'Sure. Isn't 'native American' a preferable term these days, though?'
   - 'indian is easier tho'
   - 'I suppose. If you say you're an Indian though, people might think you're from India.'
   - '?? why?'
   - 'Well, in English, people from India are called Indians... And there are Indian Indians in SL, it being a global thing and all that.'
   - 'wth that's racism'
   - 'How so?'
   - 'that's my heritage u messing with that's racist'
   - 'I beg your pardon?'
   - 'it's OK u probably didn't know better'

Suffice to say, no pixels were bumped. Funnily, it appears India is a particular blind spot - I once managed to convince a friend that 'Actually, India is north of Siberia...' - I got as far as to say that 'you know, Eskimos and native Americans have a lot in common, so when Columbus came to America he thought they were somehow related and figured he had discovered India.'. At that point she had a light bulb moment that 'Oh yeah, I learned that in school' and I realised that I'd gone far enough. She was pretty confused and unhappy when I told her that I was pulling her leg - and promptly had her look at a map and explain that Columbus was -trying- to get to India and thought that's where he was, thus referring to the native Americans as Indians. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

nl.jpeg

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, Gluehwuermchen Tornado said:

Are you kidding me Resi? Where do you live when you talk about the NOT SO BAD highways🤪

Taking the A6 from the bavarian Lebkuchen city itself , going eastbound, and back... Its quite empty most of the time, and without serious potholes.

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2019 at 2:11 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Can you still haul @$$ on the Autobahn or did they finally tone that down a bit?

ETA: Asking for a friend. shiftyeyes.gif.07ced6333b68a423d0ee529a7be28c6c.gif 

Edited by Selene Gregoire

On 2/18/2019 at 2:17 AM, Orwar said:

- 'u know, I'm 1/62th* cherokee' (*yes, not 1/64th - I didn't care to ask).
   - 'Oh?'
   - 'yea, indian blood is cool'
   - 'Sure. Isn't 'native American' a preferable term these days, though?'
   - 'indian is easier tho'
   - 'I suppose. If you say you're an Indian though, people might think you're from India.'
   - '?? why?'
   - 'Well, in English, people from India are called Indians... And there are Indian Indians in SL, it being a global thing and all that.'
   - 'wth that's racism'
   - 'How so?'
   - 'that's my heritage u messing with that's racist'
   - 'I beg your pardon?'
   - 'it's OK u probably didn't know better'

Most of us prefer First Nations or the tribe name. 

There's an old joke among those who are actually First Nations. "Everybody is Cherokee." Because that is the one tribe most try to claim. We find that amusing most of the time but it really is quite offensive.

14 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Can you still haul @$$ on the Autobahn or did they finally tone that down a bit?

ETA: Asking for a friend. shiftyeyes.gif.07ced6333b68a423d0ee529a7be28c6c.gif 

If there is no speed limit due to the proximity of nearby cities or because of constructions sites (quite a lot), you can drive as fast as you and your vehicle is able to.
I dont like fast driving that much, so i hit the cruise control at 120-130 kmh. But, let me tell you... only trucks and coaches are slower than me. Gasoline prices still seem to be too cheap for most of the folks.

• Sad 1

I don't own a car, but I will forever remember the one driving lesson, where the Autobahn was almost completely empty and no speed limit in place for a short distance, and my teacher asked me to drive as fast as I dared (and the car could handle). Driving at around 160km/h feels amazing.

But in general people are usually nice, curious or sometimes even enthusiastic, when the fact that I'm from Germany makes it into the conversation (or is used as a conversation starter). Although some ideas and concepts people have are...interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

I don't own a car, but I will forever remember the one driving lesson, where the Autobahn was almost completely empty and no speed limit in place for a short distance, and my teacher asked me to drive as fast as I dared (and the car could handle). Driving at around 160km/h feels amazing.

Driving instructors in the USA would get fired for stuff like that.  But I think high speed driving (maybe on a closed course) should be a required part of driver education.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Driving instructors in the USA would get fired for stuff like that.  But I think high speed driving (maybe on a closed course) should be a required part of driver education.

It'd be prohibitively expensive but it would probably save countless lives to say nothing of reduced property damage. And yes, definitely a closed course and in a car with dual controls and a skilled instructor. It's good to know what being at the limits of a car's safe handling speed feels like, just so you'll know when to slow the hell down.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The car was equipped with dual controls and looking back, I found in city traffic to be much more stressful. On the highway you have at least all cars going in one direction and no people crossing the street.

1 hour ago, Syn Anatine said:

The moment someone realizes I am german the one word I keep hearing is "Schnitzel." People seem to be obsessed with that.

For me its "Fräulein". I don't know why people like it so much. 🤨

Just now, Syo Emerald said:

For me its "Fräulein". I don't know why people like it so much. 🤨

I'd much rather be called Fräulein than to hear about Schnitzel! I eat it occassionally but it's not the be all and end all as far as german cuisine goes ¬¬

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

I'd much rather be called Fräulein than to hear about Schnitzel! I eat it occassionally but it's not the be all and end all as far as german cuisine goes ¬¬

For a split second I read that sentence as if they were calling you Schnitzel...time for more coffee, I guess. Schnitzel is fine, but not my favorite either. And in day to day life, I depend a lot more on having plenty of choices of bread and other bakery products around me.

1 hour ago, Dillon Levenque said:

It'd be prohibitively expensive but it would probably save countless lives to say nothing of reduced property damage. And yes, definitely a closed course and in a car with dual controls and a skilled instructor. It's good to know what being at the limits of a car's safe handling speed feels like, just so you'll know when to slow the hell down.

There are defensive driving courses.

For example: https://www.nsc.org/safety-training/defensive-driving/courses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Safety_Council

18 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

i hit the cruise control at 120-130 kmh

130 kmh = roughly 80-81 miles per hour (the US system).  I usually have my cruise set on 79-80 mph on the latter part of my drive to work each morning - a 4 lane non-divided highway.  There is a speed limit of 65 mph (104.6 kph) on that section of road, but I tend to ignore speed limits on highway / interstate type roads with little traffic.

The toll road that goes to the airport, as well as the interstate heading north to Wyoming, both have speed limits of 75 mph (120.7 kph) and my husband & I pretty much always drive those at 85- 90 mph (136.8 - 144.8 kph).

If I'm not within the busy part of the city or in neighborhoods, then I tend to think of speed limits simply as 'suggestions'.

7 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Schweinshaxe! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.