starbabe1701

"There was a problem charging your payment method" Error with valid card info

Question

So I am having a peculiar issue. I have a Visa card that was issued to me by an online-only bank by the name of Varo Money. This card HAS worked for me in the past, in fact, up until like Thursday, it WAS working. I say WAS because it no longer is now when I go to buy Ls, or items with US$. Every time I make the attempt I get the error, "There was a problem charging your payment method."

It IS a debit card, but I've never had problems with it up until recently, and there are funds on it. In fact, as of the date of this posting it was pay day for me with my job and prior to making the most recent attempt I had checked to see if my check had cleared, which it had, so clearly funds are not a problem. I also tried to verify with other purchases on other services like Steam and Amazon if it was my card, and those cleared perfectly. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try next, or if anyone else can verify they too have this or a similar issue? I am aware of the SL Cashier outage earlier last week, and have a theory my problem may be linked to those, but without others saying they too have this issue I have no means of verification on this.

12 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, starbabe1701 said:

So I am having a peculiar issue. I have a Visa card that was issued to me by an online-only bank by the name of Varo Money. This card HAS worked for me in the past, in fact, up until like Thursday, it WAS working. I say WAS because it no longer is now when I go to buy Ls, or items with US$. Every time I make the attempt I get the error, "There was a problem charging your payment method."

It IS a debit card, but I've never had problems with it up until recently, and there are funds on it. In fact, as of the date of this posting it was pay day for me with my job and prior to making the most recent attempt I had checked to see if my check had cleared, which it had, so clearly funds are not a problem. I also tried to verify with other purchases on other services like Steam and Amazon if it was my card, and those cleared perfectly. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try next, or if anyone else can verify they too have this or a similar issue? I am aware of the SL Cashier outage earlier last week, and have a theory my problem may be linked to those, but without others saying they too have this issue I have no means of verification on this.

most debits sooner or later give problems as most aren't accepted payment options for SL.
Tie your card to a verified paypal account and it most likely will by usable that way.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

most debits sooner or later give problems as most aren't accepted payment options for SL.
Tie your card to a verified paypal account and it most likely will by usable that way.

Save for one problem there-the stuff PayPal needs to verify my card? I don't see on my app. So that isn't an effective solution, and Skrill's just a giant white box. Looks like LL's odd refusal for debit cards is gonna end up being a giant middle finger to me then.

13 minutes ago, starbabe1701 said:

PayPal needs to verify my card?

your paypal account has to be verified. Add the debitcard to paypal and use paypal as your payment method on SL.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 1

Your best bet is to trot down the Real Life street to a Real Life brick and mortar bank.  Open an account.  Get their credit card.  You could probably be OK with a debit card, but play it safe.  Get an actual major CREDIT CARD.  In fact, get both a debit card AND a credit card.  There are times when one is preferable to the other.

Then sign up for a PayPal account and verify it (register your bank account as a backup payment method).

Online-only banks?  Ewww.

• Like 1

While I appreciate the help, you all are great, there is one thing that I can't understand.

Why does LL seem to refuse to charge debit cards? More importantly, why do they specifically make it seem like they CAN use debits when you add your card info? And if they don't take debit cards, why do they push the dollar authorization fee then refund it? I'm not doubting any of you, I'm just trying to understand why this system is actually this asinine. I've been fighting with this for hours, and every time I try to charge my account for Ls, it throws that up, and it is worth noting that after posting this thread I ordered off Amazon a $100 SteelSeries Arctis 5 headset and bought a game on Steam with this same exact card in question so it's not a question of my bank (unless for whatever reason they decided that SL was a potentially fraudulent site and blocked it, something I have an email in with them on to see, but I've never seen a bank lock a card to one specific site before).

Everything about this suddenly feels like a bait and switch at best, blatantly illegal at worst.

No, it's not on your bank's end.  (Or, probably not.  There HAVE been some instances of that, even with PayPal.  I could be wrong, so do go ahead and check that end.)

And it's not bait and switch, or illegal.  Any merchant can decide what forms of payment they're willing to accept.  LL doesn't accept prepaid or most debit cards.  Part of this is legal concerns...prevention of money laundering, or use by underage persons.  Another part is their desire to protect themselves...they want to be sure that a payment method will always work, when they bill it for goods or services you've signed up for.  A prepaid or debit card won't pay them, if there's no money on it.

The one dollar charge is a test transaction.  It is used by LL (and indeed, many other merchants) to verify that your proposed payment method actually works, has money available, and is one that meets whatever other criteria they set.  Whether it's accepted by LL or not, the test transaction is reversed, so you aren't actually out any money.

• Like 1

Update. So I was able to authorize my PayPal to where I can make it work with SL. And work it did.

Until today.I'm not even close to my spending limit for SL, and I've got the money in my actual account I'm billing through PayPal, and my bank came through today and told me that if they suspected any suspicious activity on my card, they would just lock the card, not access to just one site. Any solutions here? I tried just now dropping my PayPal and readding it.

If I'm gonna be honest, this issue's really starting to irritate me to the point I'm considering leaving the grid unless this is resolved, and to a manner that it will work, and work ALL the time. And again, I appreciate the help of all of you, you've been great through my constant whining and bickering and...admittedly almost creating conspiracy theories.

52 minutes ago, starbabe1701 said:

Umy bank came through today and told me that if they suspected any suspicious activity on my card, they would just lock the card, not access to just one site. Any solutions here? I tried just now dropping my PayPal and readding it.

if your Bank gives trouble, you have to be at their side, removing your PP and re- adding it won't solve that problem, and if payments fail by your bank locking access will also raise red flags at LL side.

54 minutes ago, starbabe1701 said:

this issue's really starting to irritate me to the point I'm considering leaving the grid unless this is resolved, and to a manner that it will work, and work ALL the time. And again, I appreciate the help of all of you, you've been great through my constant whining and bickering and...admittedly almost creating conspiracy theories.

irritation won't bring you anywhere, simply follow the steps that show up, you won't get it solved with leaving. You managed to get paypal tied to your account, now only solve the little issue at your banks side, contact them and most likely ( if there is no reason to put your bank account on hold/lock ..it doesn't háve to be LL) within a few minutes it's solved.

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

if your Bank gives trouble, you have to be at their side, removing your PP and re- adding it won't solve that problem, and if payments fail by your bank locking access will also raise red flags at LL side.

irritation won't bring you anywhere, simply follow the steps that show up, you won't get it solved with leaving. You managed to get paypal tied to your account, now only solve the little issue at your banks side, contact them and most likely ( if there is no reason to put your bank account on hold/lock ..it doesn't háve to be LL) within a few minutes it's solved.

Except with the same card I just bought NBA 2K19 on Steam and subbed to Origin Access (I also play video games) so it's NOT my card, though I think the issue here might lie with Paypal-I tried to use it when subbing to Origin Access, and it too was kicked back there. Guess I'll wait and see if this is just a maintenance thing or something before jumping to a rash decision.

2 minutes ago, starbabe1701 said:

Except with the same card I just bought NBA 2K19 on Steam and subbed to Origin Access (I also play video games) so it's NOT my card

in my opinion this is a wrong way of thinking, that some payments pass, only tells you those companies accept your type of card without restrictions, Paypal might have stricter rules for using it on SL because LL or some other companies will not wait for payments, they want it instantly. If your card takes a day, it can fail. You can solve this delay by loading a amount from your card directly on the paypal account.
It's not a failure in the meaning something is broken, but a restriction on the use to prevent failing payments. Adding your direct bank account to paypal might perhaps lift this possible block. If your bank is fast enough, or has a trusted level, even as you need that, Paypal even works without restricitons with a bank as payment method only.
Note that this can be different depending on your country.

8 hours ago, starbabe1701 said:

Until today.I'm not even close to my spending limit for SL, and I've got the money in my actual account I'm billing through PayPal, ...

This is the problem.  You have to have the money actually in your PayPal account, NOT in the backup account.  The reason is that LL won't wait for money to be transferred from the bank, to PayPal, to them...they require instant payment.

Transfer enough money from your account into PayPal that you can cover your expected Second Life bills, and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

If you continue to have trouble, contact Billing.  Billing issues is one problem where you actually get a phone number and can thus call them:

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000131008-billing-support

Billing support phone numbers
    Toll-Free (US/Canada): 800.294.1067
    Long-Distance: 703.286.6277  

Our Billing team is available from 9am to 6pm EST(6am to 3pm PST), Monday through Friday.