A New Game

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm not sure whether that would make any difference.  Guessing and making up new ones are the fun parts.  Getting it "right" is sort of an afterthought.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep, we've got a mix of multiple answers (which I'm enjoying) and multiple open challenges (which I'm still chewing). I'm trying not to fill the challenge bucket faster than we can collectively drain it.

Ok, then it's fine. I enjoy a mental challenge.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can you rhyme the first part of words or is it only the last parts of words that can be rhymed?  I guess the first part of words would be too easy wouldn't it..

It's the second word pair that must rhyme, and have the same meaning as the first. The first doesn't HAVE to rhyme. But if you really feel like challenging yourself... :P

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey, you animated your shot-up Stop sign!  Cool.

I'd been meaning to do it right from the start. I timed the bullet holes to give the feeling that my aim was improving and that I had well earned burst of confidence at the end. It still needs work.

Yes, I overthink everything.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ok, now tell me you guys aren't just coming up with stuff off the top of your head, and that you are using literary aid available online....some of you are just too good at this   :)    Well, too good even IF you are using these literary devices...

I sometimes have an easier time making up my new ones than guessing others'.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ok, now tell me you guys aren't just coming up with stuff off the top of your head, and that you are using literary aid available online....some of you are just too good at this   :)    Well, too good even IF you are using these literary devices...

Okay, I am not coming up with stuff off the top of my head, I'm using literary aids online. I can just imagine the smoke spewing from thesaurus.com.

ETA: It didn't take long to realize that the thesaurus doesn't help.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
37 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Okay, I am not coming up with stuff off the top of my head, I'm using literary aids online. I can just imagine the smoke spewing from thesaurus.com.

ETA: It didn't take long to realize that the thesaurus doesn't help.

Yeah, I can't imagine using a Thesaurus. (1) I'm too lazy to go to all the work of searching for words and welding them into decent questions and answers and (2) I'm fairly confident that I can do a better job on my own anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, I can't imagine using a Thesaurus. (1) I'm too lazy to go to all the work of searching for words and welding them into decent questions and answers and (2) I'm fairly confident that I can do a better job on my own anyway.

I tried using it to generate the original word pairs, and found it useless for that. I'm not above cheating, if it works.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's why my justification has two parts instead of one. Phrased more succinctly: (1) Cheating takes too much work and (2) I can do a better job without cheating.

During my engineering career, "cheating" was often both better and easier than the mainstream approach. Yes, that's not really cheating, but I couldn't know if throwing convention to the wind was better unless I tried it. When people saw what I'd done, they often called it cheating. I expect you've done the same, perhaps because you actually have a better understanding than those who do things the conventional way. I do it because I'm lazy and lucky. ;-).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.