You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I have problems with my world map. When it's zoomed in on a place, it works just fine, and as I zoom out, all the new squares that becomes visible adds nicely.

Until I get zoomed out half way. Then the entire map turns "ocean blue" and all the land I just saw is gone. If I zoom in again, it comes back. If I scroll when seeing a map, new bits is added as it should, but as soon as I zoom out, it all goes blank again. I have waited for 30 min for it to rezz, but nothing happens.  I have noticed this the past days, but I don't really know when it started.
I am using the Firestorm Beta viewer 6.0.1. but I am having the same problem with Firestorm 5.1.7 so I don't think it is the viewer as such that's causing it.

Any one got an idea on how I can solve this?

Unfortunately(?) it's not just you, and not only in-world. Try zooming out on this map in a browser. This means that the map data collection process didn't complete the last time it ran, so some resolutions of the map never got generated.

If the jira weren't in some Atlassian Limbo at the moment, I might try to find and re-open one of the several reports from all the times this has happened in the past. Maybe somebody can do that if/when jira comes back.

• Like 1

It's not a viewer issue. It's a bandwidth issue. Each region (square) on the map is a separate image that is downloaded from the web. When you zoom out, more regions are visible=more images to download. If you zoom out so far that you see the entire world then you are downloaded literally thousands of images. So 30 minutes to see the entire world? Makes sense.

This is a very simplified, general description of what's happening (not an officially technical explanation). The point being that it's not a viewer issue and it's not an issue that only you are experiencing, everyone experiences this. We've just gotten used to it and gone complacent, I suppose. :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

It's not a viewer issue. It's a bandwidth issue. Each region (square) on the map is a separate image that is downloaded from the web.

Not exactly. Instead, the work of compressing all those region maps into zoomed-back images is done by the map server, in eight power-of-two scales. The documentation of the Map API has all the detail you never wanted, but as an example, you can see it working properly in these two intermediate-scale levels:

map-3-1000-1000-objects.jpg

http://map.secondlife.com/map-3-1000-1000-objects.jpg

map-4-1000-1000-objects.jpg

http://map.secondlife.com/map-4-1000-1000-objects.jpg

I finally got into the jira and found that this has been broken at the very next step of zooming back -- since August!

• Thanks 1

Again? I thought that was fixed. Apparently there's some batch job that runs periodically and makes low-rez tiles from high-rez tiles. Fine. But losing all the old tiles if the batch job crashes is lame.

This really bugs the aviation people. They use the big map for flight planning.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.