How about a new sub forum in "People"?

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If there were one and the mods have been explicitly told they can not close threads in that section for going off topic, only if things get out of hand, it would not only give us some breathing room, it would make the mods jobs easier. And those that get a thrill from reporting off topic won't be able to get threads shut down just because they don't like the topic or person.

The question has to be asked, "Why haven't they been told this about General Discussion"?

It seems some clarification is in order from LL.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

I'm not entirely convinced by the idea, but I'm not really opposed to it either. I just don't see what the point of it, really. Besides, you're already in a browser - there's millions of forums for various RL topics across the Internet. There's also a bunch of communities within SL that have their own Discords and websites (some with their own forums), and making a forum is really easy... So... I don't know. Give some examples of what would be put in such a board?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

The question is, why do we need anything pertaining to RL in this forum as its separated sub section when you can literally join hundreds of thousands of forums to discuss and they're just a mouseclick away?

Well, I think a better question might be "why do people on the SL forum mention RL at all (and they frequently do) when they could talk about RL on some other forum"?

21 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

The question is, why do we need anything pertaining to RL in this forum as its separated sub section when you can literally join hundreds of thousands of forums to discuss and they're just a mouseclick away?

SL is a part of RL for all SL residents. 

Why do we need anything pertaining to non SL topics (General Discussion) if all we ever talk about is SL? 

Boring.

Boring.

Boring.

That "mouse click away" works both ways.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

What I'm envisioning is a separate category for General Discussion with sections for different types of topics like so:

General Discussion

• Books
  • Music
  • Food
  • Games (forum)
  • Sports
  • Tech support (pcs)
  • TV/Movies

Other sections can be added if needed.

It would be a means of getting to know other residents for those looking for friends. Imagine that. Getting to know other people by their own words. Funny how that works in both RL and SL.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

There's already a forum with all of those topics and SL/virtual worlds too. Why complicate things for the forum mods here when what you want already exists?

Where is this forum? All I see is the one GD that has no organization. What's wrong with having an organized section where people can choose the topics they want to discuss? It would make the mods jobs easier, not harder. Heck, I could do all the work for them to set it up without even having to shut down the board. It's not hard to do and it doesn't take all that long. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Where is this forum?

The one you posted the link to...

I've pointed this out before - if a forum exists strictly as a forum, like SLU/VirtualVerse, a wide variety of discussions is what it's there for, and even heated discussions keep it running.

If a forum exists to serve something else, like, in this case, Second Life, heated discussions about outside subjects can only be a liability.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

For the woman closing her SL store for Sabbath reasons RL & SL are not separate, so there could be no discussion of her issues without mention of RL issues.

Right, so that thread would not have been appropriate for the proposed "anything but SL" forum.

I'm not optimistic there'd be wide participation in threads where SL-related discussion is forbidden. Do people really care what other SL forum denizens think about such topics in isolation? Would that even be a good thing? Is there some benefit to filling people's time and attention with matters explicitly unrelated to the platform the overall forum exists to support?

Also... y'all know there's Twitter, right? and Reddit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The one you posted the link to...

I've pointed this out before - if a forum exists strictly as a forum, like SLU/VirtualVerse, a wide variety of discussions is what it's there for, and even heated discussions keep it running.

If a forum exists to serve something else, like, in this case, Second Life, heated discussions about outside subjects can only be a liability.

I was not suggesting making politics, religion and society a part of the SL forums.

SLU was originally created specifically for SL. VV1 expands on that foundation by adding other virtual worlds, VR, etc. I'm not suggesting LL expand the SL forums in that manner.

Since heated discussions can only be a liability then perhaps the best thing to do would be shut the forums down entirely. Perhaps you simply do not see the heated discussions that occur that do pertain to SL.

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Since heated discussions can only be a liability then perhaps the best thing to do would be shut the forums down entirely. Perhaps you simply do not see the heated discussions that occur that do pertain to SL.

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

As long as this post is about discussing the addition of another sub forum, how about adding one entitled Religion and Politics. If that would keep people from inserting their particular take on religion and political philosophy into post having nothing to do with either, I'd be happy.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Where is this forum? All I see is the one GD that has no organization. What's wrong with having an organized section where people can choose the topics they want to discuss? It would make the mods jobs easier, not harder. Heck, I could do all the work for them to set it up without even having to shut down the board. It's not hard to do and it doesn't take all that long. 

It's a different website. I've seen people here refer to it obliquely so I'm not sure if we're allowed to say its name. But it has everything you're asking for in that list and has plenty of room for the sorts of topics Luna and BilliJo like to lock horns over too.

If there's a reason why that set of forums is unacceptable to the three of you, you could always set up a new one of your very own. It's really quite easy.

(edit: And clearly you're aware of it, so what's the problem?)

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer

1 minute ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It's a different website. I've seen people here refer to it obliquely so I'm not sure if we're allowed to say its name. But it has everything you're asking for in that list and has plenty of room for the sorts of topics Luna and BilliJo like to lock horns over too.

If there's a reason why that set of forums is unacceptable to the three of you, you could always set up a new one of your very own. It's really quite easy.

I've owned and admined quite a few forums in the past 20 years. I no longer have the time or energy it takes to put into it.

I posted on SLU for 9 years. I then made the switch to VV1 thinking a new start would bring about some good things. That didn't happen and I no longer post there.

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

As long as this post is about discussing the addition of another sub forum, how about adding one entitled Religion and Politics. If that would keep people from inserting their particular take on religion and political philosophy into post having nothing to do with either, I'd be happy.

The one issue I can see with that though is, will those "discussions" be kept within that sub forum or will they end up spilling out all over the board, like what has happened numerous times on other forumS.

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm not blind. My point was ANY heated discussion is a liability on a corporate "public facing" forum. So, based on that, the logical thing to do is shut the forums down entirely. 

If it's related to the product being served, a heated discussion can be a liability because of its tone, but it also has value because it can air out issues with the product. If it isn't related to the product being served, the heated discussion has no upside.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The one issue I can see with that though is, will those "discussions" be kept within that sub forum or will they end up spilling out all over the board, like what has happened numerous times on other forumS.

Honestly, I said it tongue in cheek. I'd rather people just discipline themselves and not insert the topic into posts. But that's certainly not been the case. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If it's related to the product being served, a heated discussion can be a liability because of its tone, but it also has value because it can air out issues with the product. If it isn't related to the product being served, the heated discussion has no upside.

Tell me something I haven't known for a few decades.

I suggested expanding GD into something a bit more organized. You don't like the suggestion. I get that. You don't need to beat me over the head with it.

Since no one is interested in setting up an area where posters can get to know other posters better before taking the plunge inworld (which is difficult for some to do) I'm just going to bow out.

24 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've owned and admined quite a few forums in the past 20 years. I no longer have the time or energy it takes to put into it.

I posted on SLU for 9 years. I then made the switch to VV1 thinking a new start would bring about some good things. That didn't happen and I no longer post there.

So you're looking for a new home, where someone else takes responsibility for admin and moderation. Yes?

Perhaps that should be the suggestion then. It doesn't have to be you doing the organising, though you're the one who seems most keen. Do you know others who might be interested? Or is there a way to increase interest in the revamped other one?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.