How about a new sub forum in "People"?

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It could be called "Anything but Second Life"

I think people will agree that the most active, interesting topics are ones that digress from whatever the OP was talking about.

Of course after a few days the topic ends up locked.

This new subforum could allow people to post and comment about RL issues and concerns.

Of course the same rules about respecting the other members would still apply.

I know the general subform is supposed to allow this, but I get the impression any topic not related to Second Life is frowned upon.

So whacha think?

• Haha 1

I do get that idea! I remember the old WoW forums had one aswell (sadly it didn't carried over to the new one) and I remember it from other, old forums. The benefit was the community building aspect, the downside that more forum means more space to moderate, especially since with an off topic forum, you expand the topics that could come up.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Dunno about the rest of the SL population, but I specifically come here (to SL and its forum) to NOT to hear about the first life nevermind discussing it.

So no, I do not agree with you.

there you go, you wouldn't have to click the link to the new subforum, there would be no RL topics in the rest of the forums, I would think all around it would make you even happier 😁

6 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh i know because threads never go off topic to discuss RL issues do they?

BilliJo, you're right...threads derail and become off-topic all the time and they are not closed. So what made the "Sabbath" thread different?

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

BilliJo, you're right...threads derail and become off-topic all the time and they are not closed. So what made the "Sabbath" thread different?

sorry but we aren't permitted to bring closed threads to new threads.

We've established that frequently threads go waaaay off topic, major derails....but they are not closed by a moderator due to being off-topic.

So, generally speaking, what occurs in the type of derail thread that does get closed?

Edited by Luna Bliss

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Oh i know because threads never go off topic to discuss RL issues do they?

There is a difference between allowing non-SL discussions and forcing them.

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I get the impression any topic not related to Second Life is frowned upon.

I get a different impression.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There is a difference between allowing non-SL discussions and forcing them.

I get a different impression.

No one will be forced to take part in non SL discussion topics.

And I respect that your impression is different from mine.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a word

8 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

there you go, you wouldn't have to click the link to the new subforum, there would be no RL topics in the rest of the forums, I would think all around it would make you even happier 😁

People wouldn't just derail in the sub-forum though, they would still do it in whatever thread they were in.  It wouldn't solve anything.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We've established that frequently threads go waaaay off topic, major derails....but they are not closed by a moderator due to being off-topic.

So, generally speaking, what occurs in the type of derail thread that does get closed?

generally threads get closed when the posts turn into attacks on other forum members.

And that surprised me about that other thread being closed, the whole discussion stayed quite civil.

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

generally threads get closed when the posts turn into attacks on other forum members.

And that surprised me about that other thread being closed, the whole discussion stayed quite civil.

They do get closed when the topics stray into religion territory (and politics) and someone reports it. Other than that the mods don't go looking for off topic threads to close.

2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

@Selene Gregoire"Anything but SL" is not the same as "Anything including SL" though.

I did not say "anything but SL". Billi did. I did not say I agreed with the "anything but SL" specifically either now did I.

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

a section where we can discuss things not necessarily SL related. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bad, it seemed that you were agreeing with Billijo's idea but the idea was slightly different.

General Discussion is supposed to be the place for topics that aren't necessarily SL related though.
From the Community Participation Guidelines (emphasis mine):

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes it was civil, and IMO it should not have been closed. However, I can only imagine a moderator saw that you and I were into it and guessed where it would go due to our past exchanges on threads, so I can't blame them for closing it. There's always a period in threads when they start to go downhill where the emotional energy intensifies and it's easy to see people aren't thinking as clearly, and I did see that intensifying.

I wish it had not been closed, as I was actually doing some climate & Sabbath reasearch. And this Dr. Watson issue was interesting, especially Maddy's feedback, as I really thought humankind was totally inbred by now but apparently not.

2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

My bad, it seemed that you were agreeing with Billijo's idea but the idea was slightly different.

General Discussion is supposed to be the place for topics that aren't necessarily SL related though.
From the Community Participation Guidelines (emphasis mine):

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

Tell that to the mods who are a bit too enthusiastic about nuking non SL related threads from orbit that are in GD.

• Like 2

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Tell that to the mods who are a bit too enthusiastic about nuking non SL related threads from orbit that are in GD.

Yeah I know but I doubt it would be any better if there was another sub-forum though.
I hear what you are saying and have been surprised at some of the closures myself.

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Yeah I know but I doubt it would be any better if there was another sub-forum though.
I hear what you are saying and have been surprised at some of the closures myself.

If there were one and the mods have been explicitly told they can not close threads in that section for going off topic, only if things get out of hand, it would not only give us some breathing room, it would make the mods jobs easier. And those that get a thrill from reporting off topic won't be able to get threads shut down just because they don't like the topic or person.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.