constant crashing

VoicelessDarkAngel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

There is a Second Life issue. We were talking about it at the Beta Server UG yesterday (Thursday).

[2019/02/07 15:05]  Mazidox Linden: We've put DRTSIM-398 on Second Life Server. We also put DRTSIM-351 (More commonly known as EEP) on BlueSteel with an updated server version. DRTSIM-388 contains our latest OS upgrade and is now on LeTigre and Magnum.

Lots of cloud uplift prep. I can't even describe the amount of cloud uplift prep. And fixes and patches to internal services to keep them humming along smooth until we get to the cloud.

[2019/02/07 15:30]  Rex Cronon: is good not to be logged out every 15 minutes:)
[2019/02/07 15:31]  Mazidox Linden: Yeah Rex, I'm glad to see that it's not happening on this version.
[2019/02/07 15:31]  Rex Cronon: u guys found out why is that happening?
[2019/02/07 15:31]  Mazidox Linden: It's specific to the new OS upgrade Minuet. We're still ironing out the issues with it, (hence RC and not Second Life Server)
[2019/02/07 15:36]  arton Rotaru: so Rex is going to be kicked every 15 minutes on the main grids RC channels now?
[2019/02/07 15:36]  Rex Cronon: oh. mazidox. i am glad that at this version is not kicking me out:)
[2019/02/07 15:36]  Whirly Fizzle: Is Rex's disconnect actually a server bug?
[2019/02/07 15:36]  Mazidox Linden: Arton until we get enough data to isolate why it's happening and fix it, it's likely yes.
[2019/02/07 15:37]  Mazidox Linden: But without sufficient data points, it'll happen to everyone if we just moved forward with a full grid roll out. So we're taking our time and gathering more data :)

This past RC update is probably the start of your problem. The Lindens are updating the OS running their servers. This seems to have created the problem you are experiencing. Check to see if you are crashing while on an RC channel. You open the viewers HELP->About... and look for the server version. If you are in a Blue Steel, Le Tigre, or Magnum region, it will say.

To help resolve the problem file a JIRA report. Have your crashing friends also add their info to your report. They can file their own report, but this works better if all of you get the info in one place. Key to helping is including precise time, date, and place. They will need all your viewer and computer information, the form asks for it. Use the HELP->About info to fill in those sections.

I suspect there is a report already. But I couldn't find it. If there is they may close your report, which will block you and others making additions to the report. Look at the referenced reports they add when closing a report to see if one is open and add your additional info as you get it to the open report. If none are open, contact the Linden that closed the report and ask to open it as you have more info. They usually do or they'll point you to where you can add it.

As the version running in ADITI on the region hosting the meeting seems to be fixed, it suggests a fix will make it to the main grid in a week maybe two. We have one attendee on an old computer with a weak connection to SL. He had been having problems staying connected for 3 or 4 weeks, crashing every 15 minutes, more or less. But not this week as the region was running a new version. So, they may have it fixed. Still file your reports. This is one of those things that affects only a few people. So, the Lindens need to see it is more than just 1 or 2 people.

FYI: @Whirly Fizzle

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Added Whirly
  • Thanks 2

This type of problem just begs that you check grid status. Any large displacement of avatars usually gets announced quickly (quickly being a proprietary Linden term different somewhat from the definition used by mere mortals). Quickly as in 2 or more hours.

Also, if you use Firestorm notice the currently logged in numbers. If the number is below 28,000 then there is likely a grid wide problem.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are region update/restart days. Generally early mornings. But, you get an intrusive warning the region is restarting.

A quick check with the Firestorm Support group is probably the best quick response indicator in SL. If there is a problem, they will know in minutes... like 15 or 20... Other large active groups may work as well.

A computer and modem/gateway restart are easy first steps to try. Viewer restart first. then try a computer and viewer restart. Then a computer, modem, and viewer restart... then start worrying.

Save a reinstall until you KNOW the viewer is broken. Try an alternate viewer to see if it is the viewer or not. The Linden made SL Viewer and Firestorm are the common choices for an alternate viewer. Keep at least 2 viewers installed for quick troubleshooting.

This is one of those cases where a cache clear can be disastrous. So, avoid that until you KNOW, not guess or someone suggests, KNOW something in the cache is the problem.

11 minutes ago, VoicelessDarkAngel said:

All day today I've been experiencing SecondLife crashing anywhere from every 10 minutes to 30 minutes (longest so far)... has anyone been having logging issues today? 
where you can't stay connected and keeps crashing??
comes with an error message of region problems but haven't seen anything posted?

Have you restarted your router/modem?   I know my ISP did some "maintenance to improve my service" 🙄 the other night and after that I was crashy.  I rebooted and all has been stable since. 

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

This type of problem just begs that you check grid status. Any large displacement of avatars usually gets announced quickly (quickly being a proprietary Linden term different somewhat from the definition used by mere mortals). Quickly as in 2 or more hours.

Also, if you use Firestorm notice the currently logged in numbers. If the number is below 28,000 then there is likely a grid wide problem.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are region update/restart days. Generally early mornings. But, you get an intrusive warning the region is restarting.

A quick check with the Firestorm Support group is probably the best quick response indicator in SL. If there is a problem, they will know in minutes... like 15 or 20... Other large active groups may work as well.

A computer and modem/gateway restart are easy first steps to try. Viewer restart first. then try a computer and viewer restart. Then a computer, modem, and viewer restart... then start worrying.

Save a reinstall until you KNOW the viewer is broken. Try an alternate viewer to see if it is the viewer or not. The Linden made SL Viewer and Firestorm are the common choices for an alternate viewer. Keep at least 2 viewers installed for quick troubleshooting.

This is one of those cases where a cache clear can be disastrous. So, avoid that until you KNOW, not guess or someone suggests, KNOW something in the cache is the problem.

im not using firestorm, I am using singularity. (which I have the latest version)
Cache is cleared and im still having this problem, every 20 minutes now and im not the only one experiencing it. 
Couple of my friends are experiencing it too. 

my internet is completely fine, computer is good too. 

NOTE for people experiencing crashing or inventory issues (on or around Feb 8 or 9 2019, in case this thread gets resurrected in the distant future):

If you are seeing an error message about "Protected Category" at login, DO NOT rez objects or mess with your inventory.  You need to clear your inventory cache, re-log, and let your inventory rebuild itself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.