Star Spangled SL?

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Um...Hi there!

It has been quite a while since I posted anything here at all. But upon logging in tonight and seeing it dark in-world, I happened to notice a little something...Different. What, you ask? The stars, of course! They're...Bigger and brighter. And square-ish, with a hint of green on them. Here's a picture, so you can see what I mean...Anyway, please tell me this is like some kind of joke or something. I can even see the stars in wire-frame mode! Normally, this wouldn't be possible. Who made this change, when, and why? Please let me know...Thanks. P.S. If this was LL's doing, I'd rather not live in a fantasy/Ruin-Scape themed SL world, alright?

Star Spangled SL_001.jpg

Edited by HenryCrawford

More info here :)

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/356-environmental-enhancement-project/

8 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

I noticed the sky looked odd during the day earlier, there were black marks all over the place it looks like I had the stars shown during the day but as dark spots instead of light spots

I'm not sure but I think it was launched on Blue Steel and possibly other RC channels during this week's or last week's restarts and they may have taken it down fairly soon. I too saw those black spots for a while and at night the stars only showed up as gray squares.

I suppose that means EEP wasn't quite as ready as they thught but they've certianly made progress and it shuoldn't be long now.

That's how the stars look on an EEP region when using a non-EEP viewer.
The stars will render larger then normal & will be black if ALM is enabled & white if ALM is disabled.
The stars will render normally on an EEP region when using an EEP enabled viewer.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Ah, that explains it.

Considering that apparently the latest official release of the official viewer is non-EEP, maybe launching the feature on the main grid was a bit premature then.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

The stars will render larger then normal & will be black if ALM is enabled & white if ALM is disabled.
The stars will render normally on an EEP region when using an EEP enabled viewer.

Ah, this explains it but...What is ALM? And it'd be better if the stars didn't clip through the rising or setting moon as detailed in the following snapshot...

Stars clip through Moon_001.jpg

On 2/13/2019 at 7:42 PM, HenryCrawford said:

What is ALM?

ALM = Advanced Lighting Model aka "deferred rendering"
If you are running the viewer with ALM disabled, you are using "forward rendering".
Technical stuffs: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/forward-rendering-vs-deferred-rendering--gamedev-12342

LL viewer: Preferences -> Graphics -> Advanced Lighting Model.
FS viewer: Preferences -> Graphics -> General -> Advanced Lighting Model  or  Quick Preferences -> Advanced Lighting.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

ALM = Advanced Lighting Model aka "deferred rendering"
If you are running the viewer with ALM disabled, you are using "forward rendering".
Technical stuffs: https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/forward-rendering-vs-deferred-rendering--gamedev-12342

LL viewer: Preferences -> Graphics -> Advanced Lighting Model.
FS viewer: Preferences -> Graphics -> General -> Advanced Lighting Model  or  Quick Preferences -> Advanced Lighting.

Very nice, thank you. Now I just have to find out which viewers are EEP viewers... o.o

30 minutes ago, HenryCrawford said:

Very nice, thank you. Now I just have to find out which viewers are EEP viewers... o.o

The EEP viewer is still a project viewer, so TPVs are not yet allowed to release with the EEP code.

You can find the LL EEP project viewer here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_EEP/6.0.2.524123

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.