JemyMurphy

No information from Linden why I was banned twice

Question

I wonder if there is anything else I can do at this point. About a month back I was banned from Second Life for one hour, then the week after that I was banned for one day. After I was banned for one day I no longer felt a wish to continue my second life. I felt that the joy, time and investment here had no guarantee and all my friendships and social circle here could be disrupted. I let my avatar stand idle in my parcel for two days, only to get banned a third time in the middle of the night (as I was sleeping) after having had no interaction with anyone more than casual responses to two friends for two days.

I have a hunch who send these reports since I have had a Borderline friend who have smear campaigned me for four years and made my Second Life hell. Since we use the same sims at times, we are likely to pass the same places, but he got me banned on two sims I almost never visited and tried to get me banned on some mainstream sims as well. And now I am getting banned from the entire Second Life. I have tried most things at this point, but he is highly unstable and beyond reason.

The e-mails I got sent from Linden state I was banned state I am banned for "harassment". A copy-paste statement that is particularly vague; "Violation: Harassment. Given the myriad capabilities of Second Life, harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner which is offensively coarse, intimidating or threatening, unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors, actions which are likely to cause annoyance or alarm are all deemed as forms of harassment". Nothing I done in Second Life fits a moderate interpretation of these sentences. I think he filed a harassment report when I tried to reason with him, asking him for a resolution. The 3rd ban happened after not doing anything in Second Life more than being logged in after the 2nd ban was applied.

I have sent Linden tickets to get specific information about on what grounds I was banned, specifically. The first two times they sent me a copy-paste response where they stated that "Linden Lab just completed its review, at your request, of a disciplinary action taken against your account. Our investigation shows that the suspension of your account was correctly applied in alignment with the Second Life Terms & Conditions and/or Second Life Community Standards. You may review the Terms & Conditions in full at https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions. If any further information is required, Linden Lab will contact you regarding this incident. Otherwise, please consider the matter resolved." The third time the ticket was closed without comment.

Without information I have really nothing to go on, and I pretty much just expect a fourth ban whenever. Right now Second Life just feels effectively over with nothing I can do about it. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I think the question got answered, in regards to what I can do and why Linden doesn't explain why they ban people.

• Like 1

There may also be a difference between what happens if you are suspended for a day or two and what happens if you are banned, which is permanent.  In the OP's case there was no ban.  A short term suspension is a warning, a cooling off period.  Having never been suspended or banned, I can only hypothesize. It may be that Governance saves the work of doing a full report when they issue a short suspension for a minor offence.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There may also be a difference between what happens if you are suspended for a day or two and what happens if you are banned, which is permanent.  In the OP's case there was no ban.  A short term suspension is a warning, a cooling off period.  Having never been suspended or banned, I can only hypothesize. It may be that Governance saves the work of doing a full report when they issue a short suspension for a minor offence.  

The big weird for me was the 3rd suspension. The first two suspensions came after trying to plead with the person. The third came 2 days after the 2nd suspension had ended, in the middle of the night as I was sleeping, after not doing anything but standing in my parcel, only responding to incoming IM's one unaffiliated friend each of the two days. After this happened and the 3 day ban had ended I started to keep my main character offline, hoping that the way he did his "reports" would fail if my main character was offline. Had I not stayed offline, I ran the risk of getting additional suspensions that got longer and longer, with the risk of a permanent ban.

Edited by JemyMurphy

37 minutes ago, JemyMurphy said:

The third came 2 days after the 2nd suspension had ended, in the middle of the night as I was sleeping, after not doing anything but standing in my parcel,

Can I ask why people do this?  We hear over and over recently about people getting bans for just standing around on their land while asleep in RL.  

Yeah, I am not discussing the merits of your particular case.  In fact, as Ethan has pointed out, this is the Answers area, not General Discussion, so we have already strayed well beyond the normal limits for this area.  As others have also pointed out, though, leaving your account logged in while you are AFK for a long period is not wise (or inexpensive).  It opens the door for others to abuse your av or misinterpret your intentions.  In any case, my sole point in commenting just now was to say that a short term suspension for a relatively minor infraction is not as serious as a permanent ban, so it perhaps merits less complete reporting.  Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Can I ask why people do this?  We hear over and over recently about people getting bans for just standing around on their land while asleep in RL.  

I can hypothesize about the reaction.  Some residents get annoyed, even paranoid, about bots that are parked for long periods of time.  They suspect that the bot is there to spy on them when, in fact, it may simply be using the quiet place to park between tasks. Since they can't easily tell the difference between a bot and a regular av that has been abandoned accidentally, the paranoid resident submits an AR: "A bot is spying on me! I'm being stalked!"  And your poor sleeping avatar gets a suspension as warning to quit doing that.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, I am not discussing the merits of your particular case.  In fact, as Ethan has pointed out, this is the Answers area, not General Discussion, so we have already strayed well beyond the normal limits for this area.  As others have also pointed out, though, leaving your account logged in while you are AFK for a long period is not wise (or inexpensive).  It opens the door for others to abuse your av or misinterpret your intentions.  In any case, my sole point in commenting just now was to say that a short term suspension for a relatively minor infraction is not as serious as a permanent ban, so it perhaps merits less complete reporting.  Maybe.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I can hypothesize about the reaction.  Some residents get annoyed, even paranoid, about bots that are parked for long periods of time.  They suspect that the bot is there to spy on them when, in fact, it may simply be using the quiet place to park between tasks. Since they can't easily tell the difference between a bot and a regular av that has been abandoned accidentally, the paranoid resident submits an AR: "A bot is spying on me! I'm being stalked!"  And your poor sleeping avatar gets a suspension as warning to quit doing that.  🙂

I am just commenting and clarifying at this point.

This might happen, but incorrect in this particular case. I read the comment on AFK idling before. The advice is not right. My main had been logged in for six years straight before this happened. Doing so is safe and non problematic. I have the private space and resources to do so with ease, and good reason too. The sim I idle on is private with very few visitors. The person who have been flagging and reporting me have been doing so obsessively for years. Nothing I change in my Second Life is going to change his behavior more than either me giving it all up completely, or me filing back reports on my own.

I am also 100% sure its him doing it. He admitted he tried to do so.

I know quite a bit about how he operates. Before he started this on me he smearcampaigned other people, making me believe he had been haunted and harassed. Once he turned he explained how he would 'get' me here in Second Life. I have a few theories myself on what grounds Linden had for banning me, but I cannot say for certain. The delay might either be because Linden work through a backlog where they are 5-6 days behind, without checking the date, thereby banning me twice for the same interaction. Or it might be that he managed to file a new report that somehow got successful. I can only speculate and I have no idea. My concern is if he reports someone else indirectly under my name, or reports me for entering one of the main sims when he is there, and he manage to get that ban to stick permanently.

Edited by JemyMurphy

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:43 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I sort by vote, so stuff gets lost.

This is exactly why every time I enter any Answers thread, the first thing I do is sort by date.  If it is not my first time into the thread, then I have to find where I last was, but it is still better than always reading comments out of order.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 3:21 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is exactly why every time I enter any Answers thread, the first thing I do is sort by date.  If it is not my first time into the thread, then I have to find where I last was, but it is still better than always reading comments out of order.

Is the star or dot at the beginning of the thread title not taking you to the post just after you last post?

6 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Is the star or dot at the beginning of the thread title not taking you to the post just after you last post?

Yes, but if there have been many replies since I last visited the thread and some have been voted up or down, then just going directly to the first post after whatever I last saw does not always help.  I still have to sort by date and then reposition myself to that post to continue reading.

• Thanks 1

I tried to mark Fionalein and Lindal Kidd as answers.

Fionalein explained why I wont get any answers, which was important information, and Lindal Kidd provided plenty of things I could do.

Edited by JemyMurphy