how to hide your online status even from friends, unnoticed.

ainst Composer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, ainst Composer said:

how to hide your online status even from friends, unnoticed.

i know theres eye icon, but they will know i disabled it and will be offended. 

is there any other way?

no, and you can't hide it, it's simply impossible.
There are scripted devices that can see your status, no matter you disable it in preferences/friendslist.

Also in the groups where you'r visible for other members, they can see your real status.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ainst Composer said:
4 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

There are scripted devices that can see your status, no matter you disable it in preferences/friendslist.

Also in the groups where you'r visible for other members, they can see your real status.

oh, everything is possible! maybe you just dont know...

No, not EVERYTHING is possible and in this case, nobody can hide their online status - except possibly a Linden.  The SL scripting language will tell you if someone is online.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ainst Composer said:

Thanks! Good options! but what happen if i block them but keep in my list? my online status will be visible?

Yes, it will.  As others have said, your on-line status is public information.  It cannot be hidden completely.  There is no legal way to track where you are in SL, but it is not a TOS violation to tell whether you are logged in, and finding out is quite easy.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ainst Composer said:

The answer to your question is simple. You have two options: 1) Remove them from your list. 2) Stop logging in. There are your possibilities.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The answer to your question is simple. You have two options: 1) Remove them from your list. 2) Stop logging in. There are your possibilities.

Thanks! Good options! but what happen if i block them but keep in my list? my online status will be visible?

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Even taking someone off your Friends list doesn't keep them from being able to find out if you are logged in.

Rather than not logging in at all, most people who want to "hide" create another account, an "alt".  There are legitimate reasons for this.

• You don't want people to call up while you're working on a new product or build
  • You want to go do Really Naughty Things and don't want your friends to know the depth of your depravity
  • You want to avoid someone who's a real Time Vampire (you know...those people who suck your time away)

There are Bad Reasons too, like cheating on your SL partner, or using an alt to mess with the heads of other people, or stalking your ex.  Don't do those, OK?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Even taking someone off your Friends list doesn't keep them from being able to find out if you are logged in.

Rather than not logging in at all, most people who want to "hide" create another account, an "alt".  There are legitimate reasons for this.

• You don't want people to call up while you're working on a new product or build
  • You want to go do Really Naughty Things and don't want your friends to know the depth of your depravity
  • You want to avoid someone who's a real Time Vampire (you know...those people who suck your time away)

There are Bad Reasons too, like cheating on your SL partner, or using an alt to mess with the heads of other people, or stalking your ex.  Don't do those, OK?

Yes, yes. It was intended more as a tongue-in-cheek reply. LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ainst Composer said:

This is only one example of literally *hundreds* at Market Place: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-OnlineMonitor/935074

Turning off the "online status" for friend list I can understand - in the respect that it turns off the notifications for *that* person (which is a B.S. reason, I believe) - or you can turn off notifications in settings. The one that really makes me laugh is "hide my online status" from everyone. It's so funny: profile-surfing and their profile say "offline" as I stare directly at them. It gives me the impression that they are Ostriching it (sticking their head into a hole in the ground so no one can see them). 

I am always laughing. You being offline as I stand next to you is only one of the many causes of humor for me. The kind of laughing where I hold my nose and point.

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This is only one example of literally *hundreds* at Market Place: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-OnlineMonitor/935074

Turning off the "online status" for friend list I can understand - in the respect that it turns off the notifications for *that* person (which is a B.S. reason, I believe) - or you can turn off notifications in settings. The one that really makes me laugh is "hide my online status" from everyone. It's so funny: profile-surfing and their profile say "offline" as I stare directly at them. It gives me the impression that they are Ostriching it (sticking their head into a hole in the ground so no one can see them). 

I am always laughing. You being offline as I stand next to you is only one of the many causes of humor for me. The kind of laughing where I hold my nose and point.

If you carefully read my question, you will see the word "unnoticed". if you are a maniac of undue attention and communication - this is your problem.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, ainst Composer said:

No not everything is possible,   YOU can not hide from the system, the system is setup so scripts and delivery agents and vendors and all kinds of things can get the information, you simply can not hide from it.   Hiding from them by unchecking them sure, but if you share a group or they have a device, they can find out the truth.    There is no hiding that's as plain and simple as the truth as we can make it for you.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, Ethan Paslong said:

That's true. But I also thought you could see if they were online on SL website too but you can't, at least not anymore. Now the only way is through online trackers or groups.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.