Updating personal info on account.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been a member of SL since 9/15/2007. I have remained in good standing, not violating ToS in any way, shape or form (well maybe a really small form).

I am preparing to pour a boatload of $ for Lindens to upgrade my avi from standard to all mesh and everyone knows that is not cheap (Body, head, clothing, hair, etc). However, in the back of my mind, something could happen to have me provide pertinent information to show that I own the avi. As it stands now, if you held a gun to my head, I would not be able to tell you what name or basic information I entered at the initial sign up. I am of legal age and know my actual birth date, so it wasn't an age thing to get in. At the time, I had a distrust of websites I was not familiar with and tended to give out inaccurate answers to assist in not receiving spam.

I can provide names on my friend list, groups I have membership of, the last regions I have been to and L$ I have on account. I can email a copy of my driver license if push comes to shove.

It's understandable that this is a resident to resident forum and I'll probably get general answers/suggestions ("file a ticket"). Maybe if a Linden wanders upon this topic, he/she can DM me and advise. I don't wish to lose the account due to having it since 2007 and most of all, I HAVE A LAST NAME (don't want to lose that option by any means)!

How can I remedy this?

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Desert Bulloch said:

However, in the back of my mind, something could happen to have me provide pertinent information to show that I own the avi.

I bet, a lot of people, including me, are not able to answer a secret question, wich they had to define 10 years ago.
Just update your account in the best way you can, and then have fun with your new mesh outfit.

24 minutes ago, Desert Bulloch said:

I can provide names on my friend list, groups I have membership of, the last regions I have been to and L$ I have on account. I can email a copy of my driver license if push comes to shove.

Keep calm, nothing happened yet. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desert Bulloch said:

I have been a member of SL since 9/15/2007. I have remained in good standing, not violating ToS in any way, shape or form (well maybe a really small form).

I am preparing to pour a boatload of $ for Lindens to upgrade my avi from standard to all mesh and everyone knows that is not cheap (Body, head, clothing, hair, etc). However, in the back of my mind, something could happen to have me provide pertinent information to show that I own the avi. As it stands now, if you held a gun to my head, I would not be able to tell you what name or basic information I entered at the initial sign up. I am of legal age and know my actual birth date, so it wasn't an age thing to get in. At the time, I had a distrust of websites I was not familiar with and tended to give out inaccurate answers to assist in not receiving spam.

It's understandable that this is a resident to resident forum and I'll probably get general answers/suggestions ("file a ticket"). Maybe if a Linden wanders upon this topic, he/she can DM me and advise. I don't wish to lose the account due to having it since 2007 and most of all, I HAVE A LAST NAME (don't want to lose that option by any means)!

How can I remedy this?

The basic information you entered at account creation even years ago was only the bare basics. Even if you entered an incorrect date of birth I highly doubt it would be an issue, if that was the case then half the current grid would be banned as a good portion of them joined "adult" SL when they were still very young and have built successful businesses in world since then, and come from a time when "age verification" meant sending in a scan of your passport. I can think of four people who used their parent passport, and have since had to confirm using their actual details.  Around four years ago, I exported some money to PayPal and had to provide a copy of my RL driving licence and there was no issue what so ever. I even forgot the secret question and password to one of my accounts once and I was able to regain access to it by providing my email, linden transaction information and some other details that I forget now. 

The thing is, people worry about the Lindens like they are some evil overlords but the truth is...they are pretty forgiving. The above account that I couldn't remember the password for also had a debt of somewhere around 1500USD and because the debt was in effect for so long they actually wiped it for me to give me a fresh start, which was very kind of them and I was very thankful for.

On the subject of submitting a ticket in regards to account information. I doubt you would loose your account. But before you submit a ticket make sure you do the following :

1. Log into the SL website

2. Under contact information, make sure that is filled out accurately

3. Under email settings, make sure the correct contact email is on your account

4. Under billing details, make sure any billing information is correct and up to date with your latest address etc etc

Then submit a ticket and....for example if you can't remember your account security answer. State to them that you can't remember your security question and you would like to change it and state you can provide whatever identifying information they may ask for. They will then send you a message back asking you to provide that information and then they should ask you what new secret question and answer you would like to put on your account. You can also do this by ringing up billing but I would recommend it over a ticket.

Edited by chibiusa Ling
  • Thanks 1

One of the questions that I got asked once when I needed to recover an old account -- What city were you in when signed up for the account?   I honestly do not remember back in 2007/2008 any signup process asking for my city, so I assume that they were simply logging the city associated with the IP at signup time.  It is a good thing that I've lived in the same place for a couple of decades now and that I wasn't using some sort of VPN or other method of obscuring my location at the time that I created that account.  

In other words, LL can sometime ask some really oddball questions in their effort to verify an account holder.

• Thanks 1

The problem for LL is that nobody can definitively prove that they were the person who opened the account back then or that LL are talking to the real owner of the account now and yet they must do something about allegations that accounts have been stolen.  All they have is information recorded on the account and so they pick a random field and ask you to tell them what it says.  The difficulty is that over the years information required to open an account has changed a lot, some of those fields may have not been entered by the user (inferred from IP address for example) and information about people changes over time (such as address).

All web services that have user accounts face the same problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been a very educational lesson to me, thank you all. I gave all a trophy in appreciation.

I guess if I've been online this long with no problems, I'll continue the course and carry on. With the lapse of time, I would figure that the Lab will take into consideration any answers I may lack if the situation arises. If a family Linden happens to see this thread, an observation would/will be most welcomed.

4136 days; 11 years, 3 months, 25 days goes by quickly when one follows the ToS.

23 minutes ago, Desert Bulloch said:

I guess if I've been online this long with no problems... any answers I may lack if the situation arises... an observation would/will be most welcomed... when one follows the ToS

The more you talk about , the more suspicious you make yourself. Shhhh 🤐

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

The more you talk about , the more suspicious you make yourself. Shhhh 🤐

Pulls over to side of road.

Grabs license, registration and proof of insurance and exits vehicle.

Discretely drops "Sucrets" tin and kicks softly under the car.

Approaches the officer, handing the needed information over and asks "Anything wrong, officer?"

For those who don't know what a "Sucrets" tin is:

!!sucrets.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Desert Bulloch said:

Approaches the officer, handing the needed information over and asks "Anything wrong, officer?"

The officer imediately steps back, putting her right hand close to the holster, still aiming with the flashlight directly at your face. "Sir, i need you to get back to the the car, turn right and place your hands onto the roof!"

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One of the questions that I got asked once when I needed to recover an old account -- What city were you in when signed up for the account?   I honestly do not remember back in 2007/2008 any signup process asking for my city, so I assume that they were simply logging the city associated with the IP at signup time.  It is a good thing that I've lived in the same place for a couple of decades now and that I wasn't using some sort of VPN or other method of obscuring my location at the time that I created that account.  

In other words, LL can sometime ask some really oddball questions in their effort to verify an account holder.

Thats true LittleMe Jewell but I had moved towns and states in that time and changed email address. 

I have password but nothing that 'proves' my account from original set up. They did try. I did wonder about asking if my account ran smoothly from that point to a point in the future, if I could re-establish 'secret question/answer' but I never asked. 

Good luck to anyone else with this problem.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:34 AM, Desert Bulloch said:

How can I remedy this?

No one has asked this so here it goes: If you have been here for over 11 years, do you have payment info on file? If so, there shouldn't and wouldn't be a problem. All you would have to do is buy lindens from the credit card or the paypal account. Really I don't understand why you would need to have all the information for something like that. If you don't have payment info on file, then all you would need to do is add a credit card or paypal info on the account page. 

15 hours ago, Desert Bulloch said:

Pulls over to side of road.

Discretely drops "Sucrets" tin and kicks softly under the car.

For those who don't know what a "Sucrets" tin is:

!!sucrets.png

I hated those things as a child. They were nasty! Nassy! Nassy! Nassy! 🤮

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
On 2/5/2019 at 5:29 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

What city were you in when signed up for the account? 

I can give you the full address if you want... including the zip code.

/me sighs and shakes her head at all the strange things she never forgets :S

The possible problem for me with that question is that many years ago I helped my mother get started in SL.  While doing so, I created a new alt for myself, to show her different things.  That alt was created while I was visiting her, so when LL asked me the question, there was a slim possibility that my memory was failing a bit and the alt I was trying to recover was really the alt I had created while visiting my mom - I have let a few go by the wayside over the years.  The odds were against that as I only created one alt at her place out of the approx. dozen or so that I have. 

Otherwise, I could give address, city, state, zip - since all the others were created at my current address.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The possible problem for me with that question is that many years ago I helped my mother get started in SL.  While doing so, I created a new alt for myself, to show her different things.  That alt was created while I was visiting her, so when LL asked me the question, there was a slim possibility that my memory was failing a bit and the alt I was trying to recover was really the alt I had created while visiting my mom - I have let a few go by the wayside over the years.  The odds were against that as I only created one alt at her place out of the approx. dozen or so that I have. 

Otherwise, I could give address, city, state, zip - since all the others were created at my current address.

Since you've only created alts from two different locations (unless I miscounted) there's no reason you couldn't provide the info for both with the explanation that you weren't sure which set of info was for that account. As long as you provide the correct info they will "return" an account to you. That's how I got this account back when some script kiddie managed to log into it. I couldn't remember which email addy I had used so I gave all of the ones I was using at the time. As you can see, I have the account still.

Sometimes, offering info they don't specifically ask for will give them enough to make the correct determination. Sometimes. I make no guarantees you won't end up dealing with an @$$hole who insists on going "by the book". Personally identifying information isn't always addresses, phone numbers, SS numbers, DoB, etc. It can be the seemingly unimportant little details that make the difference.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:26 AM, anniepany said:

No one has asked this so here it goes: If you have been here for over 11 years, do you have payment info on file? If so, there shouldn't and wouldn't be a problem. All you would have to do is buy lindens from the credit card or the paypal account. Really I don't understand why you would need to have all the information for something like that. If you don't have payment info on file, then all you would need to do is add a credit card or paypal info on the account page. 

Not true annie, I have payment on file  :)

On 2/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Desert Bulloch said:

I am preparing to pour a boatload of $ for Lindens to upgrade my avi from standard to all mesh and everyone knows that is not cheap (Body, head, clothing, hair, etc). However, in the back of my mind, something could happen to have me provide pertinent information to show that I own the avi. As it stands now, if you held a gun to my head, I would not be able to tell you what name or basic information I entered at the initial sign up. <snip>

As far as I recall, the only information provided in sign-up was the email address and date of birth. Name and address are tied with your payment info, if you have any.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:18 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

The officer imediately steps back, putting her right hand close to the holster, still aiming with the flashlight directly at your face. "Sir, i need you to get back to the the car, turn right and place your hands onto the roof!"

Someone needs to stop watching Live PD. May I suggest 60 Days In?

On 2/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, anniepany said:

That makes complete sense. The financial info would be the easiest way to show ownership via name on card and last four of the account number. In the meantime, I would make use of Realms for crystal hunting. I got it down to a science, knowing where all the orange crystals could be found and their timing of cycles. Did really good. Made about 400LS in a just a few days to buy a tranq gun.  Not at this time do I have payment info on file. That can be fixed in a jif.

I updated my Dashboard too with current addy which happens to be in the same town I signed up from.

1 hour ago, Desert Bulloch said:

.... The financial info would be the easiest way to show ownership

.... I updated my Dashboard too with current addy which happens to be in the same town I signed up from.

Let me know how you get on...

Edited by CheriColette
added quote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.