Sign in to follow this  
Kwakkelde Kwak

Issue with bone naming between Poser and SL

Hello all,

I'm not sure how many people use Poser for their SL animations, but I ran into the following:

The old avatar I used in Poser had a skeleton with standard Poser naming. (hip, chest, lCollar, rThigh, etc.) These names are, as far as I know, essential for mirroring poses in Poser. The SL bvh importer still recognises these bones since the upgrade of the skeleton to Bento, but the added bones for the fingers for example will not take the Poser standards (lMiddle1 instead of mHandMiddle1Left).

Does anyone know if there's a workaround for this? (other than manually altering the bvh file in a text editor, which is a true pain)

Is this something that needs to be addressed?

Have you tried writing a small bash script to substitute the bone names? A little more work once and then all should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. Although I am not scared of scripting, my only experience with it is in 3ds max and second life.

A small script that replaces the names on Poser bvh export would be fantastic, and even a stand alone one would be nice, but I wouldn't even know where to start!

I am also using Poser, has there been any update as to how I can do bento and movement of fingers?   Did anyone make that script? Id be willing to pay for it. ty