Anyone yet tried to "Marie Kondo" their inventory?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My avatar is over 10 years old and I have never reached even 30,000 items yet. 9 years of wearing the same outfit every day does wonders for keeping inventory slim and wallet fat.

That said, one of the things I always do which reduces unnecessary clutter is automatically deleting landmarks and notecards that come in shopping boxes. The only time I keep notecards is when they contain essential instructions on using a product. But the "Thank you for shopping at my store" cards get deleted along with the landmarks and the bag-holding scripts. I keep ad images if they show what the clothing looks like but I delete them if they're just a store logo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

My avatar is over 10 years old and I have never reached even 30,000 items yet. 9 years of wearing the same outfit every day does wonders for keeping inventory slim and wallet fat.

Hyperventilates....searches brown+paper+bag   chooses the prettiest one of 24 results, strokes her 368k items like a villian strokes a cat

• Haha 4

I delete very little (although I trim out landmarks, notecards, extra sizes etc), and the stuff I do delete is usually freebies that I have and will have zero use for. What I do instead is put a folder called ".Unused" inside each bottom-level sorting folder (for example "Tops, Sweaters"). Anything I don't think I'll wear on a semi-regular basis goes in there.

The thing about Second Life inventories is that the space we have is effectively unlimited, but the space we can effectively process is not. There is no mechanical reason why I can't have 100 pairs of jeans, 80 of which I'll never wear; but putting all 100 into one folder is unmanageable to the point where most of your 20 good pairs will be swamped, and you'll end up using that one pair you like that sits on the top of the pile. I can declutter those 80 by deleting them... or just throwing them into a subfolder where they are out of sight. For me it achieves the same thing, without the finality of deletion.

(I don't actually have 100 pairs of jeans, don't worry. Although I do have 19, of which 8 are in the .Unused folder.)

• Haha 1

If things are really unused, one can pack them up into boxes, then take the boxes full of jeans (or whatever) back into inventory.

I do this with textures.  I put my textures into texture organizers (a special sort of box that displays a thumbnail of the textures in it), and then I take the original textures and box them up in a prim.  I don't box anything else, though...too much trouble.

• Thanks 1

I been here coming up to 6 years in Sept; I am just over 40K worth of inventory items and I will say mine is pretty well organised.  Clothing folder has many sub folders, some basics like tops or dresses have sub folders of style top or dress and then outfits like denim outfits or non denim outfits have sub folders of pants or skirt style so I really enjoy being able to put outfit and know what I want where it is roughly.

Only a year back I got rid all of clothing with system layers, and just 6 months back I got rid of clothing with appliers as only applier based things Seren wears is her nails, make up, tats and skin  however my decision on deleting the system clothing layers outfits I own and or applier clothing outfits may come back to bite but honestly, I prefer seeing mesh clothing on Seren as I think it looks better.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:32 PM, MrsSeren said:

I been here coming up to 6 years in Sept; I am just over 40K worth of inventory items and I will say mine is pretty well organised.  Clothing folder has many sub folders, some basics like tops or dresses have sub folders of style top or dress and then outfits like denim outfits or non denim outfits have sub folders of pants or skirt style so I really enjoy being able to put outfit and know what I want where it is roughly.

Only a year back I got rid all of clothing with system layers, and just 6 months back I got rid of clothing with appliers as only applier based things Seren wears is her nails, make up, tats and skin  however my decision on deleting the system clothing layers outfits I own and or applier clothing outfits may come back to bite but honestly, I prefer seeing mesh clothing on Seren as I think it looks better.

Remember that like history, fashion repeats itself, but never exactly the same way.  So I'm guessing those old system clothes are going to be dated looking regardless if such things as shrugs come back in vogue.  I bought my first boat-load of outfits when Last Call was closing it's doors.   I just google searched  Last Call and came across a blog that was questioning if their Last Call wardrobe was out-of-date.  Note this blog is from 2010.  My current avatar is wearing such an outfit, however as my computer is so old at this point, I am stuck in my LL house permanently.  I might as well be in ratty pajamas.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nacy Nightfire said:

Remember that like history, fashion repeats itself, but never exactly the same way.  So I'm guessing those old system clothes are going to be dated looking regardless if such things as shrugs come back in vogue.  I bought my first boat-load of outfits when Last Call was closing it's doors.   I just google searched  Last Call and came across a blog that was questioning if their Last Call wardrobe was out-of-date.  Note this blog is from 2010.  My current avatar is wearing such an outfit, however as my computer is so old at this point, I am stuck in my LL house permanently.  I might as well be in ratty pajamas.

Each to their own but I don't regret doing it, like I said may bite my butt later however for now I'm happy as I am and if seren ends up looking dated then I shall cheerfully just say; she not dated; she just vintage ;) -  lol!

• Haha 1

Up to my neck in Inv. Determined to organise it, one day. The obsessed will be delighted to learn slashing the contents of the notecard folder and burning hundreds of 'calling cards' can bring temporary relief.

Also want to know if it's true more than 25K items ... elements ... can lag our viewers and game ?

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, Nacy Nightfire said:

I bought my first boat-load of outfits when Last Call was closing it's doors.   I just google searched  Last Call and came across a blog that was questioning if their Last Call wardrobe was out-of-date.  Note this blog is from 2010.  My current avatar is wearing such an outfit, however as my computer is so old at this point, I am stuck in my LL house permanently.  I might as well be in ratty pajamas.

When bento was going live and was in beta in SL viewer only I could not log in, and I got so frustrated time wise in trying to minimise folders into subfolders and the like that I went a bit crazy as I was running out of testing time, and I purged by Last Call and my Dazzle (which is Last Calls earlier closing down and leaving SL store) As soon as Baked on Mesh got announced I screamed, as I had saved it all for eons, the Dazzle stuff was from Christmas time 2006, so now all of those pieces would be wearable and GONE GONE GONE, so annoyed lol.

I did recently play with Baked on Mesh beta, and I did a lot of system layer testing and honestly a lot of the clothing holds up still now, all those gowns especially because they were system and flexi already and I do miss a good swish now and then. I cannot wait until BoM goes live and people start asking ' What the hell are glitch pants ?" 

Edited by Sasy Scarborough
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Up to my neck in Inv. Determined to organise it, one day. The obsessed will be delighted to learn slashing the contents of the notecard folder and burning hundreds of 'calling cards' can bring temporary relief.

Also want to know if it's true more than 25K items ... elements ... can lag our viewers and game ?

You were typing same time as me so I came back to answer... my inventory is more than 14 times that, the longest impact is logging in, my partner logs in in seconds, I take a full 3.5 minutes at least. However once I am in my inventory is fully loaded, where as my friend who has about 20 times more can stand there for hours waiting for hers to load. My frame rate is often over 100fps, if I go to a laggy event I just turn everyone off, but I also run around Hair Fair with everyone showing and no issues. Whimsy likes to imagine that LL gave her and I our own servers each lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

...  the longest impact is logging in, my partner logs in in seconds, I take a full 3.5 minutes at least. ...

Interesting. Bitter experience has taught me if I delete three of 26K items, they will be the three I want or need the next day. The secret to a smiley Inv is therefore, to watch like a hawk what goes in at the time it goes in. If one can be bothered. I dont always follow my own advice.

• Like 1

Linden Lab Marie Kondo'd me by losing 15,000 items from my inventory, many of them single-copy gatchas.

The only thing I will do of this nature is that whenever I go to an event and scoop up the free gifts, or even get some of the gatchas, I have a ruthless unboxing session in a sandbox where I will delete anything that doesn't spark joy. That's something, anyway. More and more, I don't find it hard either to delete items i run across that are ugly or stupid or I don't mind selling even my last copy of a gatcha because I know chances are I may never see it again in my inventory of 104,000.

I dumped just about everything older than when mesh hit and started looking good. All clothing that wasn't sized for a specific body type, prim items, etc. Ugly old hair. Furniture with poor animations. You get the drift.

So pretty much if it was older than about 2016 out it went except for those items which truly had some kind of emotional meaning to me for whatever reason; gifts from friends/relationships and a lot of landscaping items because most of those still look ok enough to use. 

I still have over 65,000 items. Marie Kondo clearly never had a virtual home 😠 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.