Would like to Trade Properties But at a Cost - Is this fair?

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone:

I found some land that is even flatter than what I currently have.  Now what I do have I had to do a bit of terraforming to it to make it flat, but there are just some parts on the LL side of the land that could not be made flat to the road level.

So the parcels I would like to trade are from the same person I bought my current land from.  I was almost about to do the deal until he told me that it would cost me 7000L$ to do the trade.  These are mainland parcels by the way.

Now I could maybe see him charging a small fee because all I would be doing is giving him my current parcels and then taking the parcels I want due to land allotance or something like that. (I'm still new to mainland ownership.) But I don't think it should cost anywhere near 7000L$ to do this.  With what I got, it would take me a few months to come up with the funds since I currently cannot use my own money.

So what do you all think about this situation?  I asked elsewhere and I got mixed reviews about it, but some also said that this is insane and that the land owner is being greedy.  I get that he's probably in this to make money.

I would like to add that the size of the lands are about the same, just a couple sq meters less.  I have a 2048 and a 1024 currently.

Edited by Mitchell Indigo

The value of land even situated right next to each other can and often does vary greatly in value. It just depends on the features of the land. Unless seeing the actual land it's hard to tell. For instance, the fact that the land cannot be terraformed to meet the road properly devalues the land you currently own. You also have to look at whether any of the sides of the land have protected status. Does it connect directly to a road or waterway? Even the shape of the parcel can impact value. 

So, with the information you've provided, I don't know if it's a fair deal or not.

1 hour ago, Mitchell Indigo said:

Hello everyone:

I found some land that is even flatter than what I currently have.  Now what I do have I had to do a bit of terraforming to it to make it flat, but there are just some parts on the LL side of the land that could not be made flat to the road level.

save yourself the costs and use a prim or mesh objects to fade out the less wanted remains of level difference

• Like 3

It's all up to "what the market will bear."

For starters, if you could currently sell your land and buy other land as good or better than the trade with a net cost lower than the L$7000 this trader wants to charge you, then yeah, he's overvaluing the land.

Not that it makes any practical difference if he is overvaluing it: he owns the land and can do as pleases with it. If he thinks he can gouge you for more than he can get from another buyer, there's nothing to stop him from doing that, so it isn't really productive to worry whether that's what he might be doing.

I'd just recommend not letting the "trade" part of this cloud perceptions. The trader evidently has something you want, and you'll have to decide if you want to give him what he'll accept in exchange for the land. That you offer to include your current land as part of that negotiation may not hold any special appeal for the other party.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

save yourself the costs and use a prim or mesh objects to fade out the less wanted remains of level difference

even if you want to build something like a freight station 100% even level with road is not needed. Hide the remaining bumps with some items or buildings nad you should be fine.

Pictured in this first link below is my current land.

https://gyazo.com/6f9f3ccc78ba087a151e3de31a604638

I really like the area that I am in, but the edges of that property leave a bit to be desired.  These particular parcels are on the Quoll sim.  If you visit this sim, you will notice that the property with the gas station on it has the really bad edges that stick too far up.  I'm trying again to get LL to terraform this to the street level.

Pictured in the second link below is the land I would like to get.  He is the same landlord that I bought my current land from.  However, he wants 7000L$ just for me to trade the properties I want to buy for my properties.  These properties are on the Bandicoot sim.  The 1008 sq meter parcel is for sale for 4750L$ and the 2016 sq meter parcel is for sale for 8500L$

https://gyazo.com/3ca60adaec7884eeda25188f2978d785

I don't see the trade deal being 7000L$ worth.

Edited by Mitchell Indigo

What you see though is pretty much irrelevant, land is a buyer's market right now.

A landowner can sell for any price they want to, they don't "owe" you a special deal, they're in it to make money.

Sorry, but to answer your question, yes it's 100% fair, you wouldn't ask a garage to trade you a better car for free, would you?

Edited by belindacarson
clarification and added text.

I was looking to buy both parcels on Bandicoot. For the two parcels on Quoll, I paid about 12k for the two of them. I was going to try and sell the Quoll parcels but the seller of the Bandicoot properties started getting very shady with me. Therefore I'm done with him and I'm not selling the parcels on Quoll for the time being. 

Yeah, I was going to suggest shopping elsewhere. I sent an alt to scout around and I don't think the Bandicoot parcels are as good as the ones you have already on Quoll. Even though they're a little flatter (which I don't particularly like anyway) they're also smaller.

None of these are really exceptional properties. They're roadside green Jeogeot in an area with a lot of abandoned land -- and relatively pleasant adjacent builds right now. I don't think it would be difficult to find at least as good for a better or comparable price. (Personally, I'd look for less flat, but to each their own.)

Just in passing: if land were group-owned you could hold 10% more for the same monthly tier, so you could own up to 3376 sq.m. instead of the 3072 you own now (or the 3024 in Bandicoot).

I stopped by both lands. I think what you have currently is better than the ones for sale. But... BUT .. across the street from those parcels in Bandicoot is a rather large piece of abandoned land that connects to the road. If I were you, I'd put in a ticket asking to purchase the amount of sqm. you desire next to the road. You might get it rather cheaply or it's possible that they will put it in an auction and you could try that way. 

1925393921_abandonedland.thumb.jpg.97274c2eb969f91e1fd8233eaf71f55e.jpg

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3

On 2/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, Blush Bravin said:

I stopped by both lands. I think what you have currently is better than the ones for sale. But... BUT .. across the street from those parcels in Bandicoot is a rather large piece of abandoned land that connects to the road. If I were you, I'd put in a ticket asking to purchase the amount of sqm. you desire next to the road. You might get it rather cheaply or it's possible that they will put it in an auction and you could try that way. 

1925393921_abandonedland.thumb.jpg.97274c2eb969f91e1fd8233eaf71f55e.jpg

Well it turns out that land was either put up on auction or the guy who also owns the many parcels on that sim wrote to LL and had a space cut for him there.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mitchell Indigo said:

Well it turns out that land was either put up on auction or the guy who also owns the many parcels on that sim wrote to LL and had a space cut for him there.

bandicoot.thumb.png.e75d0d219992d57049115dee5d654a5b.png

Yeah, the 2048 was definitely set for direct sale on-request -- the L$1/sq.m. price is a good indicator, and anyway I don't see any Bandicoot listings on the Recently Closed Auctions page now. I suppose because he already has land on the sim (though not surrounding the parcel), his case for buying the land outright, no auction, would be considered stronger.

• Like 1

There are some land sellers who charge inflated and ridiculous prices for all land parcels. I recommend just not doing business with them. SL abandoned land is cheap, abundant, and easy to buy as long as you don’t mind waiting a few days for LL to respond to you. And you can almost always find something as nice or nicer that way. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 3:55 AM, Qie Niangao said:

bandicoot.thumb.png.e75d0d219992d57049115dee5d654a5b.png

Yeah, the 2048 was definitely set for direct sale on-request -- the L$1/sq.m. price is a good indicator, and anyway I don't see any Bandicoot listings on the Recently Closed Auctions page now. I suppose because he already has land on the sim (though not surrounding the parcel), his case for buying the land outright, no auction, would be considered stronger.

This is definitely a purchase of abandoned land. You can tell because the parcel name is a date and an avatar name. Also, it is for sale by a Linden. The price is $1L per meter and it is set for sale to a specific avatar. It has not been purchased by that avatar yet  

If it were an auction, then the land would be purple on the map and you wouldn’t see it for sale to a specific avatar. 

Also, the bit about needing to have land on the sim to make a case to buy abandoned land is widely believed, but it is information that is outdated by at least a year or two. The policy has changed and the current LL Policy is stated here: 

Basically, LL tries to give priority to abandoned land buyers who already own land in the region. But anyone can buy abandoned land and LL will usually sell it to them directly. LL putting it up for auction instead seems pretty rare. And I’ve never known that priority issue to come up, though I suppose it could if two people wanted the same parcel and one hand land in the region and the other did not. 

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Female Winslet said:

If it were an auction, then the land would be purple on the map and you wouldn’t see it for sale to a specific avatar.

indeed this, a parcel won by auction will be set to your ownership directly and money is already in escrow. Tier level also will be raised automaticly if needed.

4 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

indeed this, a parcel won by auction will be set to your ownership directly and money is already in escrow. Tier level also will be raised automaticly if needed.

I totally misread this so my reply didn’t make sense so I deleted it. Sorry!

Edited by Female Winslet

On 2/4/2019 at 10:21 PM, Mitchell Indigo said:

Hello everyone:

So the parcels I would like to trade are from the same person I bought my current land from.  I was almost about to do the deal until he told me that it would cost me 7000L$ to do the trade.  These are mainland parcels by the way.

Now I could maybe see him charging a small fee because all I would be doing is giving him my current parcels and then taking the parcels I want due to land allotance or something like that. (I'm still new to mainland ownership.) But I don't think it should cost anywhere near 7000L$ to do this.  With what I got, it would take me a few months to come up with the funds since I currently cannot use my own money.

So what do you all think about this situation?  I asked elsewhere and I got mixed reviews about it, but some also said that this is insane and that the land owner is being greedy.  I get that he's probably in this to make money.

I would like to add that the size of the lands are about the same, just a couple sq meters less.  I have a 2048 and a 1024 currently.

Mainland 2048 doesn't worth 7000. You are getting ripped off, just put in a ticket and request for land auctions go shop around for a bit

• 3 weeks later...

wow so much fuss:) the lands he wanted to exchange were sold already if you have any issues with my service come to me and if you have a problem with my pricing feel free to be my partner in paying my maintenance costs I can let you live free then on any of my lands you wish all together :) I have been nice enough to hold the small blocks 32sqm and 16 sqm right on his door step for months now leaving it open to terraform however he wants after giving him repeated after sales service I guess some people are never going to be happy. the price of the parcels he wanted was 13k in total which was reasonable and got sold within a week and he requested to exchange for his land which he bought for 12k from me months ago paying a difference of 1000L$ which i refused to accept cos im not here to make exchanges i have lands that i need to sell but i still offered him 7k and then reduced to 6k considering a good offer for the exchange. he could not pay that much and brought this issue here to make a big deal of the situation i have been reading the comments some of you really said to the point but those who are thinking i sell too high then please try to hold a region or two for a month and pay the bills :) then come back and tell me what they think of my land prices my prices are always better than other sellers and my lands are worthy more than what i ask always.

Thanks to you all.

Maztadizazta

Edited by MazTaDiZazTa

8 hours ago, MazTaDiZazTa said:

wow so much fuss:)

it's a month later now before you respond here .. but really don't need to defend your business, how you run it is totally on you. And the topic isn't really about you but a resident who asked advice what to do.

I would reccomend to fix your keyboard, seems your . , kapitals and "enter" seem not to work. Using those makes your txt more enjoyable to read.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MazTaDiZazTa said:

wow so much fuss:) the lands he wanted to exchange were sold already if you have any issues with my service come to me and if you have a problem with my pricing feel free to be my partner in paying my maintenance costs I can let you live free then on any of my lands you wish all together :) I have been nice enough to hold the small blocks 32sqm and 16 sqm right on his door step for months now leaving it open to terraform however he wants after giving him repeated after sales service I guess some people are never going to be happy. the price of the parcels he wanted was 13k in total which was reasonable and got sold within a week and he requested to exchange for his land which he bought for 12k from me months ago paying a difference of 1000L$ which i refused to accept cos im not here to make exchanges i have lands that i need to sell but i still offered him 7k and then reduced to 6k considering a good offer for the exchange. he could not pay that much and brought this issue here to make a big deal of the situation i have been reading the comments some of you really said to the point but those who are thinking i sell too high then please try to hold a region or two for a month and pay the bills :) then come back and tell me what they think of my land prices my prices are always better than other sellers and my lands are worthy more than what i ask always.

Thanks to you all.

Maztadizazta

I'm not fixing all that like i usually do... 

That being said, every single landowner i have rented from in SL over the past 12 years has always let me move to another location they own for no additional cost. Thats just good business practice. It costs you nothing to let them move and you may get a very long term renter out of it. 

4 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

the price of the parcels he wanted was 13k in total which was reasonable and got sold within a week and he requested to exchange for his land which he bought for 12k from me months ago paying a difference of 1000L$ which i refused to accept cos im not here to make exchanges i have lands that i need to sell but i still offered him 7k and then reduced to 6k considering a good offer for the exchange.

You received 12k for original land.

He wants to trade the 12k land for 13k land and pay you the difference of 1k.

You say no .. you want an additional 5k for letting him move.

I get it that with selling mainland properties you are wanting sales and not to simply swap out land because in essence that's not actual money in your pocket, but I still think the deal was one sided with you coming out way ahead. You apparently are in the land business so you could have offered to buy his current land for it's market value and then sell him your land. That would have been the fair thing to do, but you chose to be a greedy land dealer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.