Line in the Sky ... ??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay. Y'all see that line in the sky? How in the heck do I fix that? Is it possible to do so without having to take the picture into an image editing software? I am incapable of doing complex editing so I was hoping this was an in-world fix...somehow... :(

((This was taken maybe a year ago, so I don't recall what Windlight setting I used here...))

38851665_247142142675209_7303894226775834624_o.jpg

2 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Okay. Y'all see that line in the sky? How in the heck do I fix that? Is it possible to do so without having to take the picture into an image editing software? I am incapable of doing complex editing so I was hoping this was an in-world fix...somehow... :(

((This was taken maybe a year ago, so I don't recall what Windlight setting I used here...))

I'm not sure what exactly you ask.

The picture was taken year ago, now its saved in your SL inventory and/or on your HDD as .png file (or .jpg or other file) and you ask if you can use Second life as picture editor and to edit the old picture there, correct? IF the question was this, then answer is no - SL is not picture editor.

(Some) SL viewers have really strong tools for pictures, but they are meant to be used for the scene inworld before we hit the snapshot button and the picture is created. They edit the scene inwold, not the screenshot as file.

Once the picture is taken and saved as texture in inventory or file on your HDD, SL doens't have tools to edit it, for that you need to use external picture editor.

But maybe you meant something else, I'm really not sure i got it right.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry. When I typed all this I thought I was making sense, but reading it again I clearly did not.

Let me try again:

When I took this picture the seam in the sky did not show up until after I had saved it to my PC. My Snapshot Height and Length is in the 2k's - but know this did not happen before or after - just in this picture - or anything else with the sky, clouds + whatever lighting I'm using at the time.

I know Second Life doesn't offer image editing like Photoshop, Gimp, etc, but I was (trying to at least, lol) asking that if there was a tweak somewhere in Firestorm Viewer.

I didn't know if there was a way to make the seam(line) in the sky to not show up in future pictures.

What lines?

T-Rex Fixed.png

I've experienced this problem over the years, as have others. Sometimes it happens only in the sky, sometimes across the entire image. I suspect multiple bugs have been involved and hope you aren't continuing to have the problem now. Back when this was happening to me routinely, I used my Mac's screen capture tool rather than the SL Snapshot tool. That was a hassle (because tags and HUDs had to be turned off) but always worked. If you're taking an important photo, it's a good idea to view the saved snapshot to make sure something like this hasn't ruined it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

- but know this did not happen before or after - just in this picture -

I never experinced this issue and taking pictures is the main thing I do in SL for 6 years, so I don't think its so common.

(Ok, maybe I should not count years with ReShade, because then I used external way how to take the screenshots (Reshade itself or Fraps) - same as Madelaine mentioned she did as well -  but still, I think I took thousands of pictures with different versions of Firestorm and Black Dragon and never saw this.

And if I understand correctly, you experienced the issues ONCE year ago, correct? It didn't happen for entire year again after this particular picture? Then it was random and hopefuly rare issue, no guarantee it will not appear never again, but if its not common, we should just take it as other random SL hiccups. I fully agree with what Madelaine said - never take only one picture, always took them more and before you leave the scene, check the saved files if they are OK.

If the problem would happen as common, and would remain after year, then it would be completelly different situation.

• Thanks 1

This problem shouldn't happen now if you are using an up to date viewer.

The line in your original image looks like a case of FIRE-4725 - [MAINT-628] Highres snapshot - Rendering artefact (Window sized frame buffer regardless of snapshot size). DoF and AA bug visible on our photos

This bug was fixed years ago.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I have also been re-experiencing this issue with the lines across images, and it seems to have evolved, its even showing parts of the seam on one side where there is shadow; then the other side of the seam will show shadow settings. Is there any word or plan on this being fixed soon?  It's been happening for a while, and a lot of people have rolled back their viewers apparently to fix the issue. Here is what things are looking like. 

glitch2.png

glitch1.png

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.