How ABOUT that... an ad for SL found on Bing page

TechDave

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

strange.. with a VR device... while LL abandoned that years ago

I didn't was to say anything like they might seem to be Sneaky or nothin'!   An ad for SL... promoting Sansar?!

At least there's sompthin' up IRL... not noticed much before. I couldn't believe my eye's when I seen it flash across my screen!!

LL's must be fishin' for the masses to join up.

There are private developers working on a "better" VR option for Second Life. Opensource.  Featured on New World Notes a week or so ago.   VR "will" work in SL apparently but it needs to be on an OPTIMIZED sim and there are very few of those :D.  I don't have gear and don't want gear -- this is just from writings on blogs and conversation on DISCORD.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

There are private developers working on a "better" VR option for Second Life. Opensource.  Featured on New World Notes a week or so ago.   VR "will" work in SL apparently but it needs to be on an OPTIMIZED sim and there are very few of those :D.  I don't have gear and don't want gear -- this is just from writings on blogs and conversation on DISCORD.

I have a hard enough time getting tossed out of my skin when someone sneaks up on me with headphones on..

I couldn't imagine not being able to see on top of that to the outside world around me..If someone were to touch me with headphones on and a vr set,I'd go through the roof..

I'll wait for the contacts version maybe..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Nope if we read the same article it will need steam VR ...  now where's my puke emoticon?

Edited by Fionalein

I just bought my first GOOD mesh helicopter.. and I'm REALLY enjoying it!

Tho to be on topic here... am now flying Quite often in MouseLook mode, it's GREAT to be flying 'low & slow' in Mouselook. Who needs that bulky headset.. GEEZ!! (I don't… and DON'T want it)

40 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Nope if we read the same article it will need steam VR ...  now where's my puke emoticon?

Likely the same and likely I missed that point not knowing much about VR.  

Yep, looked it up. Both Firestorm and STEAM needed. Still, new :D. And apparently there are folks using VR in SL now successfully -- and have been all along (without the "new" software).    

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, TechDave said:

I just bought my first GOOD mesh helicopter.. and I'm REALLY enjoying it!

Tho to be on topic here... am now flying Quite often in MouseLook mode, it's GREAT to be flying 'low & slow' in Mouselook. Who needs that bulky headset.. GEEZ!! (I don't… and DON'T want it)

congrats.... yeah good helicopters ar such a thing... many crap around

Yeah me neither I personally would prefer a 3D software for polarized or shuttertech 3D monitors... I'd prefer that much to VR - but my guess is such an interface could easily be forked from there.

Edited by Fionalein

My trouble with VR Headsets is that IRL I don't have two good eyes to perceive images. Lazy Eye since birth... than had surgery on it recently. I only keep it 'around' so I look 'normal' for others!!  

So basically I live RL with 'flat vision' with very little/if any side view vision.... so don't need costs for VR headset. Have sort'a been looking for a RL game room somewhere... or store to demo something, but really doubt it's going to do much for my virtual life. 

It's exciting to think about entering our virtual world more fully via VR...but if you've spent any time in Mouselook (more than about thirty seconds) you've seen the huge drawback to that.

"Oooh, look, I'm actually IN the world.  Wow, this is soooo cool."

"Uh...where's my interface?"

"Gaah, how do I type?  I can't see the keyboard."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Sometime back in the 90s, I attended a computer graphics conference at which there was a booth partially flooded by projection images, approximately as shown in the image you posted. The room was as disorienting, and potentially nausea inducing, as the 3D VR headsets being shown in other booths. The problem with both implementations is that the visual field doesn't correspond with your body's other sensory input. Your inner ear, your butt and the soles of your feet are not in on the deception and they cry foul, degrading the deception at best and making you vomit at worst. It's not a good sign when people hawking a "fantastic" new technology have a stack of barf bags tucked behind a curtain.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's exciting to think about entering our virtual world more fully via VR...but if you've spent any time in Mouselook (more than about thirty seconds) you've seen the huge drawback to that.

When I'm in my virtual home I can bring up a virtual keyboard and type on it directly inside the virtual world. I can go anywhere on the internet while I'm in virtual reality -- I've even read this forum on my super huge virtual monitor while inside my virtual home. Presently it's slow because 'typing' on the virtual keyboard is point and click using virtual hands, but eventually there will be haptic sensors on fingers so it will be the same as how we type on regular keyboards.

*Likewise, the inventory and all the rest of the interface is clickable within the virtual world itself.

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 hours ago, TechDave said:

My trouble with VR Headsets is that IRL I don't have two good eyes to perceive images. Lazy Eye since birth... than had surgery on it recently. I only keep it 'around' so I look 'normal' for others!!  

So basically I live RL with 'flat vision' with very little/if any side view vision.... so don't need costs for VR headset. Have sort'a been looking for a RL game room somewhere... or store to demo something, but really doubt it's going to do much for my virtual life. 

I sympathize -- I've got something going on with one of my eyes and might need surgery. I hope I don't lose the eye.

I'm going to investigate today, close one of my eyes in VR, and determine if there's any advantages to VR even when only using one eye.

* Along with a store or game room, sometimes libraries have VR setups you can demo.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There's FS preferences to view your HUD's and interfaces while in Mouselook. Can't click on anything... must exit Mouselook to operate/click things... but viewer will so them. Example is that I view World Map/Mini-Radar... in mouselook as I'm fly my helicopter, Works GREAT (except for changing anything). 

• Community Manager

Thanks for bringing this ad to our attention. We can confirm that this ad was created externally without our approval. We are investigating and plan to request that it be immediately removed. If you continue to see this or any other ads that appear to be problematic, then please notify us at advertise@lindenlab.com . In particular, it is helpful if you right click and copy the link of the ad itself in your correspondence so we can immediately identify the offending ad partner or network.

• Thanks 7

1 hour ago, TechDave said:

There's FS preferences to view your HUD's and interfaces while in Mouselook. Can't click on anything... must exit Mouselook to operate/click things... but viewer will so them. Example is that I view World Map/Mini-Radar... in mouselook as I'm fly my helicopter, Works GREAT (except for changing anything).  

You can click the UI & HUDs etc in Mouselook by using ALT+Click :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

You can click the UI & HUDs etc in Mouselook by using ALT+Click :)

One thing I noticed in Mouselook is that you can't see yourself. This is usually not a problem for walking around and stuff, but if I ever wanted to use SL in a virtual reality format, I would like to see my own virtual body when I looked down. Why spend so many Lindens on clothes I never see?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.