Mircea Lobo

Custom bones and non-standard rigs in mesh avatars

Question

Greetings. I have a question regarding mesh avatars. I'm following instructions on the rigging instructions page but would like to know something not mentioned there: To what extent are custom bones supported? Is the builtin animation skeleton the only one we can use, or can you import a mesh containing your own armature granted you use custom animations for it?

I have several characters not using the builtin rig and bone naming scheme (L_UPPER_ARM, R_HAND, PELVIS, etc) for which I'd prefer to keep existing animations. I don't expect the appearance editor to work, nor things like the head turning around procedurally, but am hoping that with a custom AO I can still get it to animate the movement accordingly. Renaming the bones to match the current SL mesh isn't a problem, but I have special bones as well which I'd like to be supported by custom animations. Do I have any chance of getting that to work? Thank you.

2 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, HunniHope said:

sorry no custom bones, you need to use the SL skeleton

I understand. That is unfortunate, I will have to see how to adapt my other meshes in this case. Thank you.