I need to know something....

Ender9000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 minute ago, Ender9000 said:

I have a question for the admins, I was wondering if I could request a welfare check?

We are all residents here just like you.  If you need to contact LL you need to file a support ticket.  If I am understanding you right though a welfare check is out of their hands. 

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

4 hours ago, Ender9000 said:

I have a question for the admins, I was wondering if I could request a welfare check?

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I am guessing you are worried about another resident? 

Being from the US, that is sooooo not what I thought the OP meant and was truly ready to LMAO.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

This question has popped up before. I don't think there's anything you can do. LL's privacy policy prevents them from revealing anyone's RL information (including whether they are well or not, I imagine) to you.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Death_and_Other_"First_Life"_Worries

My case is a bit different....

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Then you might understand my chuckle upon reading your post, until I got a bit further down.

Or maybe you don't, but we do get a lot of people asking how to get free money - which is why/how my mind went there.

It's fine... But I'm not like those people... I'm just deeply worried about someone.... someone I hold close to my heart....

5 hours ago, Ender9000 said:

It's fine... But I'm not like those people... I'm just deeply worried about someone.... someone I hold close to my heart....

that most likely still doesn't give a reason for LL to break the privacy rules. Unless there is a written consent of the person that you want to let research on private details. People disappear on SL all the time, every day. And mostly because their relationship sucks or their life gets so boring they create a alt and start allover.
The answer thats given in 99.999% : sorry... but not possible.
And to be honest, LL does not have the utilities to do that. If someone is so close you would have the RL details and could call the police. Many people assume a SL relation makes them priority ... but most are at most secundary in RL emergencies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

that most likely still doesn't give a reason for LL to break the privacy rules. Unless there is a written consent of the person that you want to let research on private details. People disappear on SL all the time, every day. And mostly because their relationship sucks or their life gets so boring they create a alt and start allover.
The answer thats given in 99.999% : sorry... but not possible.
And to be honest, LL does not have the utilities to do that. If someone is so close you would have the RL details and could call the police. Many people assume a SL relation makes them priority ... but most are at most secundary in RL emergencies.

*sighs* >_< Thanks.... It's fine....

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you know the RL location of this person, you could contact the police in their area with as much information as you have & ask them to do a welfare check.

I just wanted to know if they're banned or not, but I'll be fine.... now I'm just waiting for an admin to close this

11 minutes ago, Ender9000 said:

I just wanted to know if they're banned or not, but I'll be fine.... now I'm just waiting for an admin to close this

if the person is banned permanently the name is removed from search. (not friendslists and groups as far i know) Next to that it's possible to delete or simply abandon the account yourself, most simple is not log in anymore, in this case the account will keep showing everywhere as if nothing happened, but won't be online anymore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ender9000 said:

My case is a bit different....

In case you have serious hints about someone being in a dangerous condition (let's say you suspect them of having suicidal tendencies) you might be able to ask LL via a support ticket to inform the local authorities, but you will never get to know wether LL decided to contact authorities nor what the results were if they did.

SL sadly is no good place for this. If your friend however was part of some out of SL self help group try contacting the admins there. Those groups usually have RL info on their members and fellow admins so they can send help in an emergency - but again: You will never get to know the results. In SL groups are pretty useless for this - you are forbidden to share private infos about fellow residents without their consent - and any "worries" you might have are pretty much always connected to private info.

41 minutes ago, Ender9000 said:

That’s not at all what you originally said, which implied you were concerned about their RL safety. There is a big difference between that and being banned.

As has been mentioned, ghosting is very common in SL. 

• Like 5

WOW,  we went from welfare check when I first answered. Making me imagine needing police to knock their door down to check on their real safety to I just want to know if they are banned.  WTG with vague posts that turn out to be just your regular missing friend might have been banned.  My spidey senses pondered this before I logged off and stopped replying last night but I decided to give the benefit of the doubt.  

Next time be more direct.  My friend is missing from SL.  Is there any way to find out if they were banned?  

"A welfare check occurs when the police respond to a requested area to check on the safety or well-being of a person. Officers will then report back with their findings. You are relieved to learn that your mom answered the door"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I'm not from the US, but what you had in mind was what I too associated with the word.

But he wants “admins” to do the welfare check. In SL. Where presumably they might find an avi languishing somewhere in need of assistance.

There is such a thing as over immersion.

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:
17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Being from the US, that is sooooo not what I thought the OP meant and was truly ready to LMAO.

I'm not from the US, but what you had in mind was what I too associated with the word.

I think a lot of us probably stayed out of this thread because of the original message. For the benefit of those outside the US and its political jargon, a "welfare check" is a draft of funds provided by the government ( something like what might be called "Public Assistance" in other countries) to help low-income people get basics of food and shelter.  Linden Lab is not about to send any SL resident money to help them through a tough period.  That's even less likely than expecting them to tell you anything about the state of another resident's account.

BTW, a thread may be closed at the moderators' discretion if it runs foul of some part of the Community Guidelines or the TOS.  Otherwise, a thread is public dialog, not the property of the OP.  It lives forever (sadly, sometimes to be reborn after years in limbo).

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

a "welfare check" is a draft of funds provided by the government

weirdly enough I was watching Investigation Discovery last night and the story was about an american murdered but they actually found the body because a neighbour requested a welfare check and the police turned up.  I have never heard it used in the UK.  We just go knock on the door and find the body ourselves.  I have heard of welfare cheque,  used the way you describe it, here though.

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have heard of welfare cheque,  used the way you describe it, here though.

Aha, so the same thing, although we would never think to write the word "check" as "cheque", any more than we would write "labour," or "defence."  As one of your previous PM's (Churchill?) said, we are two cultures divided by a common language.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.