Problems with the definition of makeup

Zumeji

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings.

Some time ago I am trying to create makeup for the whole face, that is, with eyeliner, eye shadow, blush and lipstick in a single texture, but when trying it on the avi it looks pixelated, especially the lipstick.

I use a 1024x1024 pixel canvas because I do not want the image to be so heavy. But I always see how another creative makeup looks so sharp. I would like to know how they do.

Any advice will be welcome.

Thank you.

Question: Are you making this texture into a tattoo for a system avatar? Or turning it into an applier for a mesh head? If you're making it into a tattoo for a system head, that will be the problem - at the moment, system avatars only use 512 textures for their faces & bodies, so your nice, sharp texture gets shrunk and pixalised on the system avatar. Mesh heads can use 1024 textures, so this could account for the difference you're seeing.

9 minutes ago, Zumeji said:

Thank you very much for the information.

What I do is try the image in a classic avatar and then pass it to my mesh avatar. 

I've tried 512 and finally 1024, but I always had the same problem. I'll try 256

256x256 textures on the face are going to look awful. If you are working on classic system faces, you're never going to match the clarity of a mesh face. Mesh head textures carry four times (2x2) more pixels than system heads. If you are exporting 512x512 textures from an original 1024x1024 image, make sure you're saving out in TIFF or PNG format, as those don't suffer compression artifacts. The resampling algorithm used by your graphics program to produce 512x512 from 1024x1024 can also affect the clarity of the output. Look into that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

256x256 textures on the face are going to look awful. If you are working on classic system faces, you're never going to match the clarity of a mesh face. Mesh head textures carry four times (2x2) more pixels than system heads. If you are exporting 512x512 textures from an original 1024x1024 image, make sure you're saving out in TIFF or PNG format, as those don't suffer compression artifacts. The resampling algorithm used by your graphics program to produce 512x512 from 1024x1024 can also affect the clarity of the output. Look into that.

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the advise!

I suggest making your texture at 2048 x 2048 and then RESIZING to 1024 and SHARPENING in some manner (different graphics programs have different methods so see what looks best to you). Also you can make the texture higher resolution to start out with. I use 300dpi so check what resolution your canvas is.  Putting both things together should help.  Good luck. 

And yes, don't save as a jpg. It will become a jpg2000 (or something like that - I forget) anyway. So start out as clear as you can. Most folks use png I believe. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I suggest making your texture at 2048 x 2048 and then RESIZING to 1024 and SHARPENING in some manner (different graphics programs have different methods so see what looks best to you). Also you can make the texture higher resolution to start out with. I use 300dpi so check what resolution your canvas is.  Putting both things together should help.  Good luck. 

And yes, don't save as a jpg. It will become a jpg2000 (or something like that - I forget) anyway. So start out as clear as you can. Most folks use png I believe. 

It worked more than good. I created 2048x2048 image and then converted it to 512x512 tga to export it. The results are perfect!

Thanks to all for the help!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 2:21 PM, Peony Swee*****er said:

Question: Are you making this texture into a tattoo for a system avatar? Or turning it into an applier for a mesh head? If you're making it into a tattoo for a system head, that will be the problem - at the moment, system avatars only use 512 textures for their faces & bodies, so your nice, sharp texture gets shrunk and pixalised on the system avatar. Mesh heads can use 1024 textures, so this could account for the difference you're seeing.

System avatars have been running 1024 by 1024 bakes for a few months now - it's part of the run-up for Bakes on Mesh.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 2:27 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

System avatars have been running 1024 by 1024 bakes for a few months now - it's part of the run-up for Bakes on Mesh.

Fantastic! Thanks for that Theresa - I must have missed the announcement...time to play with my system Avi and check that I've updated all my system layers to 1024 already.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.