Heads/body shapes (mesh)

dann87

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, dann87 said:

in a store

get a demo, click the sign and buy ( mostly free or 1 L$)

how to try things on

open the folder in your inventory and/or unpack
find the new folder and "add" the item you want to try, if you already wear a mesh body item first do the next step before you add something.

how too take things back

find the item in your inventory/ or right click the item and choose "detach"

note: you can not detach the basic shape/hair/eyes/skin, those can only be replaced.

• Thanks 1

A lot of the things you buy will be in "boxes" and have to be unpacked before you can use them.

If you try wearing something and suddenly find a box or a big sign is attached to your right hand, that's one of these boxed items.  Right click it and choose Detach.  Then, follow the instructions in this article to open it and get its contents into your inventory: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/opening-boxes-r84/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some stores (not many) have a changing room where you can try things on.  You may have tried the changing room in the shop on Social Island when you went there as a newcomer.  Basically, you step in and are teleported to a safe spot somewhere at a distance. If it's offered, it's a handy service.

Some larger shops also have a small area designated for opening boxes -- like a mini-sandbox with a short autoreturn time.

In most cases, you'll need to try on a demo right there in the store by very carefully adding (not wearing) new items and then removing other ones.  When you've been in SL for a while, you will become adept at this, so changing in public will not be quite as scary.  The basic rules:

1. Use the ADD option to put clothes on.  (Using WEAR replaces clothing items, so wearing new jewelry that is attached to the same point on your body as your sweater will make the sweater detach.)

2. When you are replacing clothing items, think in layers. Add inner layers before you detach outer layers.

3. Don't be too disturbed if you find yourself suddenly naked. It happens to all of us. Sometimes we make a mistake, sometimes clothing doesn't attach the way we expect, and sometimes clothing  simply doesn't render as quickly as we expect (especially in a very busy place). If it happens, smile and fix things as quickly and calmly as you can.  Or teleport home.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Typos, of course
  • Like 1

This is old but I'll make a reply anyway.

The viewers have OUTFITS. You can make Outfits. Use Me->Appearance or click the T-Shirt icon. You may have to add that button to your viewer. Right-click any viewer button and select Toolbar Buttons to add buttons to your screen.

An Outfit is the collection of everything you are wearing, clothes, mesh body parts, huds... everything. Once you have made an Outfit you can right-click select it in Appearance and have it replace everything you are wearing with the stored outfit. So, if you wear an Outfit to go shopping you can try on the demos and totally destroy your avatar. You just need to Wear - Replace an outfit to restore your avatar.

Outfits can be added to or subtracted (removed) from your avatar. So, outfits provide a versatile way to control your appearance. I use the add/subtract features to add and remove controls for the different aircraft I fly. This allows me to add/remove with out making changes to my clothes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.