An insight on retaining new users

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont think you can generalise about the SL experience.

I put my toeΒ in the water as a complete ingoramus and expected nothing.

Being curious and a bit OCD helped me along.

After a few days it clicked and I found the world which matched my needs. Nothing fancy, just having fun.

A series of test or quests to get in would have stopped me completely. This place is for art and creativity and relaxation.

A small number of people here ( The Forum and in world) have made it such a delight to log in.

I'm a fairly new user and found that SL has a learning curve. I'm not sure if I would dumb anything down. There are sims dedicated to the new user with helpful tutorials and people that are willing to lend a hand. If things were done in "stages" I don't think I would have realized what was possible here.

3 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

They should bring back the mentors.

"some residents are more equal than other residents" ?

No thanks, what I heared is that it was a personal egotrip for some tutors and that the Lab had a particular bad hand in chosing those tutors... (maybe that is not entirely true but the black sheep will prevail in memory) they can at least control their own employees...

12 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

"some residents are more equal than other residents" ?

No thanks, what I heared is that it was a personal egotrip for some tutors and that the Lab had a particular bad hand in chosing those tutors... (maybe that is not entirely true but the black sheep will prevail in memory) they can at least control their own employees...

Mentors were not LL employees. They were volunteers.

TheΒ Second Life MentorΒ group is made up of residents who have volunteered to devote part of their time to helping new Residents atΒ Welcome Areas,Β Help Islands,Β InfoHubs,Β Sandboxes, and a variety of public places. Mentors answer questions, give advice, and provide guidance.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Mentor

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Volunteer_Portal

Β 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fionalein said:
38 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Mentorsο»Ώ were not LL employees. They were volunteers.ο»Ώ

and that is where theΒ problemο»Ώs started...ο»Ώ

LL should create a way for the mostΒ expert residents toΒ mentor employees, with supervision. I dunno, maybe a Forum or something.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Imagine if you had to assemble your own avatar. You could switch the arms and legs, put the head on you abdomen, and add extra parts to your heart’s content.

πŸ‘€πŸ€”:)β€οΈπŸ’œπŸ’™πŸ’šπŸ’›:xπŸ˜’πŸ˜±πŸ™:x:DπŸ™ƒπŸ˜ŽπŸ’₯

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.