decurcele

Weight paint and 4 weight groups limit per vertex

So i stumbled upon this limit on sl which pretty much makes any decent weight paint of a face a nightmare,

i have this mouth that i have to weight paint but the bones are really close to each other, this makes the whole process overly complicated and frustrating,

most of the time i find myself surpassing that limit in order to achieve a somehow working mouth but then again ...sl wont accept more then 4 weight group per vertex,

also using the  "Limit total" function doesn't help a lot.

10.jpg.07495bf2d52e1ad07b1ad4ddbc1cfcd3.jpg

i really need some suggestions and tips for the workflows that i need to follow in order to avoid messing with the limit and making a decent weight paint. 

15 hours ago, decurcele said:

So i stumbled upon this limit on sl which pretty much makes any decent weight paint of a face a nightmare,

Figure that it is the same limit most game engines support. UnrealEngine4 and Unity have that same limit, for instance. Same goes with Bethesda's CreationEngine (Skyrim, Fallout franchises).

The way to proceed is to think in groups of bones for a specific deformation. By this, i mean that you should think to achieve a specific shape by moving and rotating two or more bones at the same time, ideally creating a set of controllers that animate the bones via drivers (as Blender calls this feature). Here is a good tutorial to understand the idea 

Of course the shapekeys part is not applicable (that's why they wanted so many bones in the face), but at least it gives you the idea of setting up one controller to override multiple bones behaviors to achieve what i pointed out above.

• Thanks 1