Sandra8675

collar... interested...

I've become interested in wearing a collar.  And I have gotten advise from some friends who have experience in wearing and using collars.  Can anyone tell me the main reasons people would choose to wear a collar over simply having sex without the collar?  Is there a link anyone can refer me to?

5 hours ago, Sandra8675 said:

I've become interested in wearing a collar.  And I have gotten advise from some friends who have experience in wearing and using collars.  Can anyone tell me the main reasons people would choose to wear a collar over simply having sex without the collar?  Is there a link anyone can refer me to?

Your questions of this kind of activities are often better asked to the people you see wearing or using these devices, to point where to look for information. Answers for these kinks on the forums often end in a discussion between people that are for ánd against it, quite some mis-information and won't get enough info for you to be usefull.
Often also a simple google search will lead you to threads from the past, tutorials and other info the might get you on the way.

for example : searchwords in google: rlv second life

gives

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=rlv+second+life

• Like 2

This probably belongs to the adult section, but..

Not all collars are functional, just accessories. You can wear one and just pretend it does what you want it for.

Then there are RLV collars (RL for Restrained Life), which can restrict the functionality you have in SL, such as speaking, sending IMs, teleporting, standing up, etc.. And with RLV relays, you can allow other people to impose these restrictions on you.

So there is no "benefit" to wearing RLV collars, beyond having other people control you in a BDSM-like manner.

• Like 1

Don't accept a collar from a Dom/Domme/Master/Mistress unless you trust them. If you are putting your own collar on, make sure you set yourself as owner, know your safeword and how to escape if you get into a situation you don't like.  Join one of the inworld  opencollar groups. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Don't accept a collar from a Dom/Domme/Master/Mistress unless you trust them. If you are putting your own collar on, make sure you set yourself as owner, know your safeword and how to escape if you get into a situation you don't like.  Join one of the inworld  opencollar groups. 

thanks...  I was leaning toward having my own and setting it myself.

45 minutes ago, Sandra8675 said:

thanks...  I was leaning toward having my own and setting it myself.

That seems a sensible way to start. There are a variety of fully functional collars available for free -- I think there are two major variants, each with a selection of appearance options.

As already mentioned, a collar can be used with or without connection to RLV features of some third-party viewers. There's a whole array of different RLV functions that can be enabled or disabled, giving others more or less control over your animation, appearance, and ability to interact with the world.

Without RLV, a collar mostly allows others to control your unseated avatar animations (kneeling, for example), with a few other scripted tricks such as particle chains and physical motion of the unseated avatar (e.g., being dragged along on a leash).

In passing: nothing can precisely control the rotation and position of unseated avatars. So collar or no collar, RLV or not, there's no way to make two avatars pose together accurately unless they're seated.

• Like 1

You can use a collar command for swapping out saved outfits, just by typing a command, without having to find them in your inventory.

I would think that would interest many many people who want nothing to do with the sexual rp aspects of a collar.

And as others have said, you don't even need a collar per se, the scripts can be in any item you wear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You can use a collar command for swapping out saved outfits, just by typing a command, without having to find them in your inventory.

I would think that would interest many many people who want nothing to do with the sexual rp aspects of a collar.

And as others have said, you don't even need a collar per se, the scripts can be in any item you wear.

Or... you can do it without a collar (just an FYI):

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CTS-Wardrobe-Organize-your-outfits-with-style-A-visual-inventory-organizer/935078

The sole purpose of an SL Collar is as a "tool" to allow another person to control your avatar without your input, including animating you and restricting you from some aspects to allow a "controlled experience".

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The sole purpose of an SL Collar is as a "tool" to allow another person to control your avatar without your input, including animating you and restricting you from some aspects to allow a "controlled experience".

You are wrong there, since I have already explained another purpose of a collar.

If your collar is not public access  and no one is owner except you, no one else can use it to control you.  It can simply be a tool to allow easier dressing.

Besides, A collar is free, that thing u linked to costs 700L.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You are wrong there, since I have already explained another purpose of a collar.

If your collar is not public access  and no one is owner except you, no one else can use it to control you.  It can simply be a tool to allow easier dressing.

Besides, A collar is free, that thing u linked to costs 700L.

My point is clear: I never debunked anything you've said. I simply pointed out that a collar, as a collar, is not necessary for most things a collar can do. So a collar as a collar is most useful as a badge to advertise your D/s proclivity or as a tool unless it doesn't look like a collar at all, in which case it's just jewelry.

I have no intention of changing your mind. But the word wrong is a bit heavy-handed. I'll not say you're wrong; you aren't. I'm just saying that a collar is a collar and as a collar carries a meaning to it and I've expressed that meaning.

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

My point is clear: I never debunked anything you've said. I simply pointed out that a collar, as a collar, is not necessary for most things a collar can do. So a collar as a collar is most useful as a badge to advertise your D/s proclivity or as a tool unless it doesn't look like a collar at all, in which case it's just jewelry.

I have no intention of changing your mind. But the word wrong is a bit heavy-handed. I'll not say you're wrong; you aren't. I'm just saying that a collar is a collar and as a collar carries a meaning to it and I've expressed that meaning.

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

@BilliJo Aldrin & @Alyona Su 

OP did ask about the benefits of a collar/RLV in relation to sex.. I don't think an outfit management system was quite the thing they were curious about.

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Thank you for explaining what the collar means to YOU.

7 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Thank you for explaining what the collar means to YOU.

Don't direct your snark at me, because this isn't about "what a collar means to me." (And for the record, it doesn't mean sex or BDSM lifestyle to me.)

This is what OP said: "Can anyone tell me the main reasons people would choose to wear a collar over simply having sex without the collar?"

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Don't direct your snark at me, because this isn't about "what a collar means to me." (And for the record, it doesn't mean sex or BDSM lifestyle to me.)

This is what OP said: "Can anyone tell me the main reasons people would choose to wear a collar over simply having sex without the collar?"

Actually it wasn't even directed at you, I was on my phone and for some reason I ended up with multiple quotes even though i really only wanted to reply to  Alyona.

Have a nice day Wulfie.

• Thanks 1

For the record, there are other reasons for  having a collar besides using it to shout "hey I'm a sub, come and get me".

You might want to use it in d/s games with a partner for one.

• Like 2

Is there a benefit for wearing the collar? that really depends upon what you are seeking or wanting done to you. If you get excited about being controlled and restricted by someone else and at their beck and call when ever they want if they are your owner/Master you might want a collar. If you just want sex you might just get and use a rlv relay hud and not even worry or mess with a collar. You can still be force sit and restricted by the furniture being used if its rlv enabled.

To some a collar is a symbol of their trust and faith and loyalty and respect and submission to their Owner/Dom/Master. To some its just a tool to be used to help enhance the experience and they never add an owner to it. To some its used as a free simple outfit management system. The possible reasons and uses and ways to use are near limitless.

With a rlv collar like OC 7.1(OpenCollar) collar you can add owners or trusted, or be set to public or group. It has a built in relay, so no need of one extra. The relay can be set on ask, or trusted, or auto which changes how it responds to requests from items.

Do you need to wear a collar for sex in sl, no, there are numerous huds or even furniture that can be used for that purpose alone and do not even need rlv enabled. you just might get spammed with lots of permission requests each time you first get on something or do something. with a relay or collar on auto you dont have this problem.

You have to be very careful if you use a rlv collar and who you set as owner or trusted. some people here in sl are just predators looking for new players that do not understand rlv and the collar and what it can do.

Never accept a collar or ring or necklace or earring or shoes or anything that they want you to wear from someone you dont know and trust already, they may have preset the item to autolock on wear and add them as owner and auto restrict you and the only way out would be to log out of rlv because they might have disabled the runaway feature on it too. So make sure you understand how to log in and out of rlv. learn some basic editing skills so if you ever do get a collar or ring or anything from anyone that they want you to wear; you can first rez it and edit it and look for any scripts in it or any notecards with preset settings in them. and safe yourself a little frustration of being duped by a sexual/rlv predator.

If you use a rlv collar or relay make sure you learn and understand how to use it and the relay safeword in the collar and the collar global safeword if it has one. learn about the own self feature of the collar, the runaway feature in the collar. this can help protect you from the predators that just want to toy with you or abuse you because you dont know how to get free.

there are lots of helpful groups and sim that will help teach about the use of a collar. but remember its not what they say about how it 'has' to be used it how 'you' want to use it that matters the most. after all it is your secondlife and not theirs to do with as they want without any regards to your feelings or thoughts.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 12:27 AM, Sandra8675 said:

Can anyone tell me the main reasons people would choose to wear a collar over simply having sex without the collar?

I can't talk for "people" but for me:

1. I think it's sexy and even when not scripted, brings a new ingredient of fantasy for those who enjoy restriction, submission, etc.
  2. The functions (open collar, in case) add a lot specially in foreplay, with custom poses, leash, etc. And when having sex too: it's really cool to see yourself or your partner on a leash. It doesn't change de act per se, but the fantasy.
  3. Works as a symbol, a way to say you are into that kind of thing to possible partners before they approach you ou vice-versa.

I use my collar all time, and dependending on the sim, there is a thrill in letting it open to public. Just be warned to put yourself as owner and everything will be fine. Have fun!