New player looking for advice

LuxLucian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've recently joined this game after being on the edge for a while. So far I'm enjoying it a lot! I have a friend who's bringing me into the game, but I do want to know what sort of money I'll be spending on this game. I don't have too much, so I'd like to find some way to make L$. On top of that, I wouldn't mind owning some land, but it seems most of that is quite pricey, so I would like to know if there are cheaper plots out there. Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to getting to know the SL community better.

About the land:- you can't 'own' any Mainland without being a Premium account, which needs paying for, of course. You can 'own' land that's not mainland. In both cases you never really own the land. You rent it from the actual owner. With mainland, LL remains the actual owner and, with other land, the user remains the actual owner as far as you are concerned. Even though you may appear to own the land, that user can throw you out of it at any time and for any reason, regardless of any money that you've paid to him/her. That user doesn't own it either. He/she rents it from LL.

Edited by Phil Deakins

25 minutes ago, LuxLucian said:

I've recently joined this game after being on the edge for a while. So far I'm enjoying it a lot! I have a friend who's bringing me into the game, but I do want to know what sort of money I'll be spending on this game. I don't have too much, so I'd like to find some way to make L$. On top of that, I wouldn't mind owning some land, but it seems most of that is quite pricey, so I would like to know if there are cheaper plots out there. Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to getting to know the SL community better.

methods of making L are abit grindy. However, you don't got invest anything to do either.

You could play Voodoo.. Or if you wanna make serious dough

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every Friday night they're sword tournaments if you wanna make a free sword at LR weapons then try your skill at PVP then I'd step into my ring.

Tournament prizes normally are

2500L ((First))

1500 ((Second))

1000 ((Third))

Every Man for himself at end ((1000))

Also there is a Gorean Tournament Guild you can join, which I or other people can invite you to. For other major sword tournaments, For example next sunday besnit is hosting one where first gets 10kL.

Edited by Haselden
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Haselden said:

You could play Voodoo.. Or if you wanna make serious dough

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every Friday night they're sword tournaments if you wanna make a free sword at LR weapons then try your skill at PVP then I'd step into my ring.

What our gor-gor "friend" tries to sweep under the carpet here though is that you have to enter a misogynic world of gor (google search link as actual Wikipedia article is as NSFW as the folks down there - forget what they tell you about toxic masculinity - those guys take it to a whole new dimension)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

What our gor-gor "friend" tries to sweep under the carpet here though is that you have to enter a misogynic world of gor (google search link as actual Wikipedia article is as NSFW as the folks down there - forget what they tell you about toxic masculinity - those guys take it to a whole new dimension)

I think all gamers are toxic. But  if you show up to the tournaments, all you really wanna come in is in your underwear... or something you could get at freebies like this. freebies- http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ibiza/40/40/3016

qtTX3BP.jpg

Edited by Haselden
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

You can rent land parcels on a weekly basis and the smallest plots of 512 sq m can be fairly inexpensive. Just search in world for land rental. 

If they knew how to script & mesh thats the only time you rent land....But even then Marketplace would be a wiser route too sell your merch...

In addition, if players are coming to forums asking about how too make Lindon last thing they wanna be told is "Go buy land, you'll make more money." No, that's not how the real world works..You should point out why they should buy land.

Land is nothing more than a server to store space...The fact LL charges so much for it is just bonkers and terrible for business. So if you're creating mesh, this could be handy That's it.

Edited by Haselden
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Does the tournament accept women entrants?

GE ((Gor evolve)) ones do, which are few but bigger cash prizes such as 20k first, 15k second, and 10k third last one iknew of was like last summer. BTB - ((By the book Gor)) so just make a male classic avatar then you're good. Alot of IRL females do this too look the role.

The weekly tournaments normally are BTB.

Thanks a ton for all the advice! I'm mainly looking at art as an income, though I doubt it will be enough, might good for getting started. I am curious about the land though. I understand I won't be getting any decent amount of money without either work or an investment. With land I was asking since my friend had a parcel that cost 1250 L$ weekly, which is quite a bit. With work, I'm not sure where to find it, and with creating, it seems like a difficult task. Either way, thanks a ton for your help! Land is gonna be a personal thing for me, unless I find a way to make money with it.

2 hours ago, LuxLucian said:

I do want to know what sort of money I'll be spending on this game. I don't have too much, so I'd like to find some way to make L$.

You don't truly need to spend any money at all if you don't want to.  A Basic membership is free, and there are plenty of free things around.  It's hard to avoid wanting to spend money, though.  Without much effort at all, you can find yourself sucked into buying a mesh avatar with all the trimmings, a full wardrobe, and a car or two, and then throw the rest of your cash at pole dancers.  Really, it's just like RL.  Decide for yourself what you are willing to spend, and then tell yourself not to spend any more than that, no matter how strong the addiction gets.

Making money is a very different topic.  Very few people actually make money in SL, beyond pocket change here and there.  If you are a skilled creator or performer with some experience and an in-world following, you can earn a decent income by SL standards.  Well-established merchants can do quite nicely too.  Making much money at all means dedicating a lot of in-world time to it, even if it's L$ that you get for completing quests in one of the Linden Lab games.  If you're not careful, earning L$ can be like holding down a part-time job, which can take some of the fun out of SL.  Again, you choose how you want to spend your time.  I would guess that most residents simply buy enough L$ on the LindeX to cover their in-world expenses.  It's easy and fast, and you can live like a king for the cost of a Big Mac and fries a couple of times a week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LuxLucian said:

Thanks a ton for all the advice! I'm mainly looking at art as an income, though I doubt it will be enough, might good for getting started. I am curious about the land though. I understand I won't be getting any decent amount of money without either work or an investment. With land I was asking since my friend had a parcel that cost 1250 L$ weekly, which is quite a bit. With work, I'm not sure where to find it, and with creating, it seems like a difficult task. Either way, thanks a ton for your help! Land is gonna be a personal thing for me, unless I find a way to make money with it.

Well if you're looking to sell art I'm assuming mesh.. you can experiment for free at a local sandbox, then sell on Maketplace.

Just don't leave your crap out or get crazy with the prims.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LuxLucian said:

With land I was asking since my friend had a parcel that cost 1250 L$ weekly, which is quite a bit.

That's about $5 US, less than most people pay for lunch, so it's all a matter or perspective and priorities.  There are many ways to think about SL, to rationalize what it costs you.  Think of it as a hobby, or a cheap vacation, maybe.  Compare it to what you pay for a cup of coffee, a cab ride, or a pair of socks.  You know what your budget is like, so don't let anyone else's experience tell you how much SL should be worth to you. If you want land to be part of your own SL experience, though, it doesn't have to be a huge expense.

• Like 4

An annual premium membership (US$72) works out to, after return of L$300 per week stipend, approximately US$1 per month. 

Then in that you get rights to free 512sqm Linden Home and right to ‘buy’ another 512sqm lot without ANY further costs. (It’s a mix/match deal... however you choose to setup) . All while ‘living’ on the stipends). 

Tho yes... you will be ‘spending ‘ US$72/year on SL.... still I don’t think it’s such a bad deal for getting started inworld. US$6 per month or US$1.38 per week. 

Should that not be affordable, learn to live as Basic, for free... is surely possible, even tho you may need to be sharp and work at it!

Edited by TechDave
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TechDave said:

An annual premium membership (US$72) works out to, after return of L$300 per week stipend, approximately US$1 per month. 

Then in that you get rights to free 512sqm Linden Home and right to ‘buy’ another 512sqm lot without ANY further costs. (It’s a mix/match deal... however you choose to setup) . All while ‘living’ on the stipends). 

Tho yes... you will be ‘spending ‘ US$72/year on SL.... still I don’t think it’s such a bad deal for getting started inworld. US$6 per month or US$1.38 per week. 

Should that not be affordable, learn to live as Basic, for free... is surely possible, even tho you may need to be sharp and work at it!

I'm surprised alot of successful stores don't do this. Instead of Homesteads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I would guess that most residents simply buy enough L$ on the LindeX to cover their in-world expenses.  It's easy and fast, and you can live like a king for the cost of a Big Mac and fries a couple of times a week.

I would like to add you can eventually earn a mesh body and bento head inworld with silly time consuming games... a lot of ms friends with less money did so. But keep in mind if grinding in SL turns into work, grinding the same time in Real Life will earn you enough to buy that burger and your SL outfit ;)

As Dave pointed out, with annual premium membership you'll practically be spending $1 a month (or 250L$/month) for a 1024m2 of land (it's 32x32m big) with even 10% bonus if you put your land tier into a group and make your land a group land.

Renting from landlords is not a bad option too, you can get a decent small mainland parcel for about 250-300L$ a week, or a skydome / skybox for 0.75L$/prim a week (size varies), but you do get more privacy on a parcel that you rent yourself rather than one of stacked skydomes / skyboxes.

And oh boy if you're a good artist you'll be making TONS of money doing furry art commissions lol, people are willing to pay a lot to get their avatar drawn, and considering $20 (assuming that's the average fee for a commission) is about 5000L$, you won't be having problems paying for land rents

3 hours ago, LuxLucian said:

I'm mainly looking at art as an income, though I doubt it will be enough

It might be enough for a guy, since you all tend to spend less on clothes,  but it is a very saturated market.

• Like 1

Thanks for helping me get a better idea of the prices guys! So far the best route for me to take is probably drawing. I'm an okay artist, but if I can find the right people I should get some money in, at least enough to have a good amount of L$.

Edit: On another note, are there any groups of modders I could reach out to? I might try my hand at making things, and having people to talk to would be very helpful!

Edited by LuxLucian
Grammar and additional thoughts

25 minutes ago, LuxLucian said:

Edit: On another note, are there any groups of modders I could reach out to? I might try my hand at making things, and having people to talk to would be very helpful!

Try Builders Brewery. Search for it in world for the inworld location.

Class schedule: http://www.buildersbrewery.com/calendar/index.php

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Haselden said:

This sure beats wasting time at them crappy sploder clubs to make lindon.

Are you really comparing participation in a form of role play that is premised upon the notion that women are inherently inferior, and best disciplined by rape . . . with scrambling around in a club after a sploder?

Really?

310872032_Oneofthesethings.gif.57b19c67bd1cefc4b09b1fc5ebf7b2fa.gif

3 hours ago, Haselden said:

The only combat system other than Gor I've seen now that does tournaments  are a few in Wild West, but they're monthly. Then I bet you'd have issues dressing like a redneck.

Well, the "Wild West," historically, was racist as all ****. But I'm guessing that very few Wild West RP sims focus on lynchings, or the genocidal displacement and slaughter of indigenous peoples that were a very important part of that story. I suspect they're more about gunfights, and romancing the buxom barmaid or the comely school marm.

Whereas in Gor, rape, sexual slavery, and the utter subservience of women is one of the most important elements of the RP.

So, yeah, I'd have much less of an objection to the Wild West stuff.

Seriously Haselden, come and commune with the friendly and peaceful woodland creatures. I don't know any tarsks or tharlarions, but I can introduce you to some very decent otters, and a most accepting moose. I'll bring a picnic lunch! It'll be fun! And you'll find that they're all much prettier and less demanding than those giant insect things.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

Hi Lux, welcome to Second Life!

A few summary points!

• You don't NEED to spend any money.  There are tons of freebies.
  • You can learn to create your own stuff.  This does have a learning curve...but if you get good, you can sell your creations to others.
  • As an artist, you might want to look into creating (and selling) textures.  There's always a market for quality textures.  You do have to be careful about protecting your intellectual property rights with them though...textures pretty much have to be sold as full permission items, with a user agreement.  So it's easy for people to copy the things and give them away to their friends, cutting into your sales.  Artwork, such as paintings you hang on the walls, can be sold as either No Copy or No Transfer, which solves that problem.  But there's not as much of a market for it.
  • The Premium membership, especially on a yearly basis, is a pretty good bargain, as you've been told.  But don't buy a year's membership until you've spent a month or two here and are sure you plan to stay a while.
  • Like 1

The entry price for a year is high, but even if you look at it quarterly or even monthly, it is not so bad if you call it entertainment money.

I mean, if you are on SL a lot, you could cancel a Netflix or a HBO payment and finance SL with that. You should pay for what you really use, and if the TV remote is collecting dust because you spend your time on SL... why not cancel.

You get 1024 m land and you get 300 a week to pay for uploading of textures or mesh. That cover 30 uploads of drawing or other art. It is creator forums here, and the Marketplace sell free frames.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

You will need some money for uploads, but it is free to have a Marketplace store. For frames, you need to pay for uploading your own, if you use Blender or another program. Or buy frames.

Even creating textures demand that you upload them to SL, so people can use them.

The Marketplace is flooded with very cheap art and textures.

It is hard to manage without a startcapital.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.