Do you use ban lines or those things that kick people out...

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use a security system on my skybox, but my land is open.

I have caught people on my land, but there’s nothing to do or mess with down there. The people I have caught appear to just be idling there. So it’s not really hurting anyone.

The skybox. You have to be really close for it to kick in. Why do I have it? I just don’t want random people doing the nasty on my stuff or tp’ing in on me while I’m nakie.

I have used "Sell passes to:" for comedic value.  Otherwise I don't have a hard preference on my own land.  The scripted "security orb" things seem weird to me.  Cubes would make more sense to me as that is where it all starts in Second Life, but I realize people have their preferences.  I use the Parcel access lists some; when somebody does something worthy of an abuse report.  For the lesser infractions I just keep freezing them until they sublimate.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 11:52 AM, Ardy Lay said:

I have used "Sell passes to:" for comedic value.  Otherwise I don't have a hard preference on my own land.  The scripted "security orb" things seem weird to me.  Cubes would make more sense to me as that is where it all starts in Second Life, but I realize people have their preferences.  I use the Parcel access lists some; when somebody does something worthy of an abuse report.  For the lesser infractions I just keep freezing them until they sublimate.

That's actually a very smart idea LOL

I would do that if I was to setup ban line around my house. But I dont mind random wanderers so I haven't set any up yet.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:52 PM, Ardy Lay said:

The scripted "security orb" things seem weird to me.  Cubes would make more sense to me as that is where it all starts in Second Life, but I realize people have their preferences.

There are two reasons people don't tend to like access lines. One of them can be controlled against but the other cannot.

1. Visible lines all over SL - some viewers let you hide these, thus it can be controlled for.

2. All forms of banlines, including sell passes, break any vehicle the happens to bump them. It's often very easy to have this occur by accident. This simply cannot be controlled for... and vehicles still break if the banline is hidden... so people in vehicles need to keep them visible to at least even try to avoid them. Often even if you stick to roads, going around corners or crossing a sim can temporarily put you off the road, and if the sim actually places you there rather that just a momentary rubber banding - vehicle breaks.

That's why many of us use security orbs.

Also... unless you ban someone by name, they can sit 40m above ground inside a parcel that has banlines on.

• Like 1

I use an orb set to passive.

Where I live, it's possible for some to boat by just glancing my area and the orb tells me. No big deal by itself. Same if someone TP's in and sticks around for maybe five minutes. I don't sweat the small sh**.

If I begin to see a pattern of returning with longer and longer times by someone I don't know, I place them on the list. One particular qualification that will get one on the list is if they are a bot. That gets you thrown off with no appeal possible.

I'm still looking for good solution how to make ballance between keeping privacy and not being hostile to vehicles (or avatars fyling across).

For now, I think I will put on group acess only when I'm home and on the ground, for rest of the time there will be orb - but with 15 second given (enough to fly across the small parcel or to leave it) and NOT teleporting anyone anywhere, just kicking them to nearby road with public acess for everyone.

I was sent home instanly by those "agressive" orbs twice yesterday when I was flying on Mainland and they didn't give me nor one second to react and leave. And as result seems some of my HUDs and even my mesh head (scrip) became broken after that. Not nice, considering fact I didn't disturb anyone, I was just flying above currenly empty parcels with nobody home.

Edited by loverdag

8 hours ago, loverdag said:

I'm still looking for good solution how to make ballance between keeping privacy and not being hostile to vehicles (or avatars fyling across).

For now, I think I will put on group acess only when I'm home and on the ground, for rest of the time there will be orb - but with 15 second given (enough to fly across the small parcel or to leave it) and NOT teleporting anyone anywhere, just kicking them to nearby road with public acess for everyone.

I was sent home instanly by those "agressive" orbs twice yesterday when I was flying on Mainland and they didn't give me nor one second to react and leave. And as result seems some of my HUDs and even my mesh head (scrip) became broken after that. Not nice, considering fact I didn't disturb anyone, I was just flying above currenly empty parcels with nobody home.

One solution would be a subdivision... banline your house not the whole garden. This becomes even more fancy in bigger parcels- banlines just extend 30m 50m* up from ground... you can build a mountain around your "naughty cave" and have tourists even walk on it, never spotting your banline until they open a door to the cave... might be doable with skycrapers too.

*@Ardy Lay corrected me, so yo might ahve to add a small fortified tower on your mountain

Edited by Fionalein

16 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

One solution would be a subdivision... banline your house not the whole garden. This becomes even more fancy in bigger parcels- banlines just extend 30m up from ground... you can build a mountain around your "naughty cave" and have tourists even walk on it, never spotting your banline until they open a door to the cave... might be doable with skycrapers too. 

Its too small for that and it even doens't have house, its garden with gazebos. But on biger parcel it would be good, yes.

16 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Also... unless you ban someone by name, they can sit 40m above ground inside a parcel that has banlines on.

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

One solution would be a subdivision... banline your house not the whole garden. This becomes even more fancy in bigger parcels- banlines just extend 30m up from ground... you can build a mountain around your "naughty cave" and have tourists even walk on it, never spotting your banline until they open a door to the cave... might be doable with skycrapers too. 

Please check again.  The regions I own land in allow all not explicitly banned to pass 50 meters or greater over the height of terrain,  not 40 meters or 30 meters.  Is this not consistent in all regions of Second Life?

I edit parcels to exclude paved roads and railroads on LDPW and Governor Linden owned land by at least 3 meters when establishing areas that do not allow all to pass.  I do, however, have a private waterway that I made for my own use.  It is usually navigable by anyone in a small vessel but I occasionally exercise my right as a land owner to restrict access when I do not want to be disturbed.  My neighbor, not just anybody, is welcome to remind me when I forget to lift that restriction.  The person that attacked me in a public forum for not allowing his yacht to traverse my property via my waterway that lays wholly on my property knows who he is and will not make that mistake again.  I have no tolerance for vehicle rights activists so don't go there please.  I won't drive my clown car in your bath if you don't attempt to shove your yacht up my tributary.

I was simply stating that the scripted security devices should be cubes because this is Second Life, and it all begins with a cube.  It was a joke, of sorts, which you don't seem to have picked up on.  I agree that scripted security devices provide a function that parcel settings fail to provide: a polite notice and a grace timer upon entry.  The devices I use have been designed to be part of the parcel's seasonal décor.  They use a centralized database system with mirrors to determine if an agent is permitted on the parcel they guard, thus eliminating the need to maintain a database in each device.

I have turned on "Sell Passes To:" to expel trolls while they are present, because that amuses my friends.  I am aware of how this feature behaves.  I have been successfully expelling ego-centric and belligerent people from personal and community owned land for a decade now.

To clarify: the aforementioned database contains UUIDs of agents that are denied re-entry to the protected land.

Edited by Ardy Lay
clarification

14 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I won't drive my clown car in your bath if you don't attempt to shove your yacht up my tributary.

Threatening your fellow residents? Countertrolling suits me fine - it eventually removes two unpleasant individuals from the world ;)

Edited by Fionalein

6 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Threatening your fellow residents? Countertrolling suits me fine - it eventually removes two unpleasant individuals from the world ;)

Heh, well, the fellow with the yacht got it stuck and IMed me in a bit of a snit about violating his rights as a vehicle owner so I rezzed a tiny sedan and got in and explored his yacht while it was stuck between my house and my picnic area.  I got my tiny sedan stuck in the yacht's bath tub.  He conceded that I had made my point and removed his yacht as he should have done in the first place.

Prior to my logging in and reading his IM he was ranting about me in a forum.  Those posts got removed.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Heh, well, the fellow with the yacht got it stuck and IMed me in a bit of a snit about violating his rights as a vehicle owner so I rezzed a tiny sedan and got in and explored his yacht while it was stuck between my house and my picnic area.  I got my tiny sedan stuck in the yacht's bath tub.  He conceded that I had made my point and removed his yacht as he should have done in the first place.

Prior to my logging in and reading his IM he was ranting about me in a forum.  Those posts got removed.

I was reading that as you sought out his home and drove a car into his house... I stand corrected then

If you live on navigable water, please do NOT use ban lines - people who are sailing or swimming or whatever cannot see them until they are caught in the line. I have had scripts messed up this way, too. Why spoil the exploring of visitors who aren't even going onto your property?  Security Orbs can be set to the distance you need inside or around your house and they don't cost a lot.

Just now, Skyspinner Soulstar said:

Why spoil the exploring of visitors who aren't even going onto your property?  Security Orbs can be set to the distance you need inside or around your house and they don't cost a lot.

if they dont go on the property they won't be bothered by banlines at all. Only some  bad setted orbs will be a pain, most will normally stop scanning at the parcel border.

well, often waterfront parcels have a LOT of water and the house is a ways up on the land, not even close by. so what looks like part of the protected waters of the river (and yes, it is part of the river) is a part of someone's parcel and if they have ban lines set, the lines extend out into the channel and catch the boats (you know, the jagged lines) and while in the boat, you don't even see the ban lines until you are caught in them.

I wonder: Are there any TPVs that can paint the parcel borders on the surface of the water, in addition to down on the seabed where it's invisible to a boater?

If not, how hard could that possibly be to implement?

[EDIT: Just to avoid confusion, yes, I realize banlines appear as you approach on the surface, but they are hard to see until it's too late, and following parcel borders is how I stay on Linden protected land.] 

Edited by Qie Niangao

I never use banlines, I despise them and wish they weren't an option. I do use security orbs but only if I am sleeping and leave my avi on.

Like MirandaBowers said, they take away from the community.

No banlines, Object entry always on, rez always on, and privacy eye only on at night if I'm sleeping otherwise its off. Keep it real.

I don't really see the purpose of either so much. Security is provided by the fact that nobody else can rez things on my parcel, nor can they edit any of my stuff. Other than that, why would I care if they visit? And I don't understand the privacy setting so many seem to use either - I can't see any of my neighbours unless I walk on to their property. They don't prevent me from doing that, and when I do I just see avatars standing around. Can't really figure out what they're trying to hide from people not stood on the parcel.

Having said that, I only bought my land very recently, so maybe I'm just ignorant of all the potential problems visitors can cause me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skyspinner Soulstar said:

well, often waterfront parcels have a LOT of water and the house is a ways up on the land, not even close by. so what looks like part of the protected waters of the river (and yes, it is part of the river) is a part of someone's parcel and if they have ban lines set, the lines extend out into the channel and catch the boats (you know, the jagged lines) and while in the boat, you don't even see the ban lines until you are caught in them.

yes... i know that but when going into that the old my land my rules... or my boat my water discussion comes up again.
For me the owner of the parcel, including water or not, has the right on full control and privacy settings.

1 hour ago, Malin Sabra said:

they take away from the community.

No banlines, Object entry always on, rez always on, and privacy eye only on at night if I'm sleeping otherwise its off. Keep it real.

What community? there is no community if one wants privacy, and uses his rights to open or close his land.

The structure of the continents and waters are made by LL, if you want to have free sailable or flyable area's you'll have to contact them for a re-arragement of the mainlands, there's enough abondoned land near waters to offer everyone that needs to move a nearly equal sized and water accesable parcel.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

All forms of banlines, including sell passes, break any vehicle the happens to bump them.

No, no. I build vehicles which, when they hit a ban line, back out a bit and recover. My motorcycles, helicopters, and boats will all bounce off a ban line. I tell others how to do that and it's becoming a more common vehicle feature. All that happens when a vehicle hits a ban line is that physics turns off, which stops it cold. A script in the vehicle can move it back a bit and turn physics back on. A straight ban line hit isn't a serious problem for better vehicles.

The headaches for vehicles are these:

• Vehicle can get in ("object entry allowed"), but an avatar on the vehicle can't. The avatar will be ejected from the vehicle while the vehicle goes on, pilotless. I have a JIRA in asking that this be fixed so that the vehicle can't enter unless all its passengers can. Don't set your parcel that way. If you're set to "only allow avatars in my group", turn off "object entry allowed" to enable ban lines.
  • Instant eject security orbs. Those can blow an aircraft out of the sky. Kelly Shergood has a system to map security orbs, and most of the continents are now partially mapped. Aviators can now do flight planning to avoid them.
  • Ban lines extending onto Linden roads. There are a few places in SL where a jagged parcel boundary extends private ownership onto a Linden road. Not many. LL should move the road or buy out the parcel owners. If you have that situation, please don't put up a ban line.
  • Tight waterways with ban lines extending into the water. All too common. If you have waterfront property and must have a ban line, please put in buoys to mark the safe channel. The SL Coast Guard can advise you on channel marking.
  • Out of range security orbs. These send out threatening messages beyond the limits of their parcel. This is just sloppy programming. There's one near me and it complains about traffic on Linden roads. It can't do anything to you, but it's annoying.

On my own property in Kama City, I allow object entry, avatar entry, and building, with a 20 minute return time. I have signs for "Drivers of SL", "Rez Zone", and "Parking", and a free demo motorcycle rezzer. I have an animesh greeter NPC, "Valerie", who will walk up to any new visitor and say hello. This gets across the idea that the area is in active use. So I have few problems.

Yes, you can be a control freak about people entering your property, and SL allows this. But if you are, don't be an incompetent control freak.

(A nice parcel feature would be "cannot sit while camming." You can get through doors and walls by camming inside a place, finding something with a sit target, and sitting. It should be possible to disable that for a parcel. If you had that, and set a teleport destination to outside the building, doors and walls would provide real protection against entry.)

13 hours ago, animats said:

(A nice parcel feature would be "cannot sit while camming." You can get through doors and walls by camming inside a place, finding something with a sit target, and sitting. It should be possible to disable that for a parcel. If you had that, and set a teleport destination to outside the building, doors and walls would provide real protection against entry.)

I'm curious how that is supposed to work. What's the difference between camming 1 meter and sitting, or camming 100 m and sitting?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm curious how that is supposed to work. What's the difference between camming 1 meter and sitting, or camming 100 m and sitting?

Yeah, the simple form of "cannot sit while camming" would mean I could pretty much never sit at all. I'm sure it's ever so much more appealing to watch my avatar walk up to a thing before sitting on it, but who (after a few hours of SL experience) ever really does that?

On the other hand, it might be useful for a script to know where the person was just before they sat down. I've wanted to use that information in choosing seating positions (despite the fact the avatar might have cammed-in from across the region), and I could see how a script in another object might use that information to determine whether to llUnSit() somebody who arrived from outside the parcel, and force them to go through some more elaborate entry procedure.

(I haven't tried it for years, but at one time a script could get some reading of whence a sitter arrived iff the seat had no llSitTarget() set; if there was a sit target, the sitter was already at that position by the time a CHANGED_LINK event fired. Since then it's become harder and harder to sit on anything without a sit target already set, physics hulls being what they've become, so this is of idle historical interest at most.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.