Do you use ban lines or those things that kick people out...

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:11 AM, loverdag said:

I'm still looking for good solution how to make ballance between keeping privacy and not being hostile to vehicles (or avatars fyling across).

For now, I think I will put on group acess only when I'm home and on the ground, for rest of the time there will be orb - but with 15 second given (enough to fly across the small parcel or to leave it) and NOT teleporting anyone anywhere, just kicking them to nearby road with public acess for everyone.

I was sent home instanly by those "agressive" orbs twice yesterday when I was flying on Mainland and they didn't give me nor one second to react and leave. And as result seems some of my HUDs and even my mesh head (scrip) became broken after that. Not nice, considering fact I didn't disturb anyone, I was just flying above currenly empty parcels with nobody home.

Exactly, i have had broken boats, broken AOs and dance hud, even my take-along kitty ruined by immediate teleports from security... 

orbs1.thumb.png.ac6428e3adf3ab7ff700b7ee558831b5.png

Known mainland security orbs. A service of Shergood Aviation.

This is still experimental, but it's coming along nicely. The data comes from a HUD Shergood offers to some aviators. It recognizes known security orb objects and reports them to the server. It's designed to err in the direction of keeping you away from hazards. Many of those security orbs can be flown over, but when planning a flight, it's best to avoid all of them.

1 hour ago, Skyspinner Soulstar said:

Exactly, i have had broken boats, broken AOs and dance hud, even my take-along kitty ruined by immediate teleports from security... 

The items should be easily fixable by resetting the scripts inside -- except for no-mod items, and anybody stuck with those should contact the creators and complain bitterly about their ridiculous, embarrassing superstition that making an item no-mod does anything at all to protect it from illicit copying. Yeah, maybe you can get a redelivery, but why should the burden be on you? It's their fault for creating an obviously vulnerable, customer-hostile piece of garbage, all because they're delusional idiots. That goes doubly for creators of mesh avatars and heads who charge thousands of L$s for their no-mod garbage. It's inexcusable.

That said, it would be nice if folks with scripted access control could maybe back off the Wayne LaPierre worship and lose the hair triggers.

14 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, the simple form of "cannot sit while camming" would mean I could pretty much never sit at all. I'm sure it's ever so much more appealing to watch my avatar walk up to a thing before sitting on it, but who (after a few hours of SL experience) ever really does that? 

I always do. I respect SL's geography, and don't do short teleports.

The real test you want for a sit is "could you get from here to there without going through something?" That's easily answered from the physics mesh on the server.  llSensor lets you make such a query from LSL.

This would remove much of the need for security orbs. Just set your parcel's teleport arrival point to outside the front door, set the door to only open for authorized people, and no one could get in.

6 hours ago, animats said:

The real test you want for a sit is "could you get from here to there without going through something?" That's easily answered from the physics mesh on the server.  llSensor lets you make such a query from LSL.

Perhaps you mean llCastRay() ? That function does engage the physics model, whereas I think llSensor geometry is based on object origins.

6 hours ago, animats said:

This would remove much of the need for security orbs. Just set your parcel's teleport arrival point to outside the front door, set the door to only open for authorized people, and no one could get in.

Let's see... with no banlines, if somebody were sitting on a prim outside the parcel, I think they could edit it into the house, although they'd need to remain seated on that prim the whole time they were there. This is all kinda abstract to me -- what do I care if somebody pops in? the more the merrier, until they earn an individual ban -- but I'm guessing there are folks more privacy-oriented who'd feel differently (and hence stick with the whitelist banlines).

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Perhaps you mean llCastRay() ? That function does engage the physics model, whereas I think llSensor geometry is based on object origins.

Let's see... with no banlines, if somebody were sitting on a prim outside the parcel, I think they could edit it into the house, although they'd need to remain seated on that prim the whole time they were there. This is all kinda abstract to me -- what do I care if somebody pops in? the more the merrier, until they earn an individual ban -- but I'm guessing there are folks more privacy-oriented who'd feel differently (and hence stick with the whitelist banlines).

when i rezz a prim that i want to use as a platform i sit on it, select edit, set the z co-ordinate to whatever i want and ride the prim up 😁

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Let's see... with no banlines, if somebody were sitting on a prim outside the parcel, I think they could edit it into the house, although they'd need to remain seated on that prim the whole time they were there.

Yes. You can drive right up to a wall in a vehicle, edit your way through the wall, and resume driving inside. Even if it's not your wall. I just tried this on a vacant building. If object entry is not allowed, you can't do that, which is an argument for ban lines.

Arguably, avatars shouldn't be able to do that.

2 hours ago, animats said:

Yes. You can drive right up to a wall in a vehicle, edit your way through the wall, and resume driving inside. Even if it's not your wall. I just tried this on a vacant building. If object entry is not allowed, you can't do that, which is an argument for ban lines.

Even more an argument for banlines, I guess, is that you can do that particular thing even if object entry is not allowed. In fact, most of the roads on Zindra disallow object entry, except for the core of Kama City where Yava pods once roamed, because objects without seated avatars are excluded from no-object-entry parcels. More precisely, I personally don't know tricks that still evade that setting.

(Not that I'm looking for ways to invade anybody's private parcel unwanted. Nor would I discourage folks from hanging out on my parcels. Banlines and security orbs are pretty irrelevant to my Second Life, and I can't really imagine wanting to be in a situation where they mattered.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.