SL making it a hassle to get Lindens

Grimassi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I cannot believe that Linden Labs makes it so difficult to send them money.  It's a strange business model at the very least.  I have a PayPal account, connected to a major credit card (NOT a debit card, an actual credit card).  Yet according to the Linden rep I talked to today, that's no longer good enough.  NOW, my PayPal account has to be connected to an actual BANK account and I have to hand over my bank account routing number to PayPal. PayPal disputes this, by the way, saying that their payment method should be perfectly acceptable to Linden Labs.  This is because, in case somebody, somehow, MAKES money on SL (I've never known anyone that made that much) and wants to withdraw Lindens ,  Linden Labs cannot send it to a credit card, only a bank account.  How about just putting it in PAYPAL for the SL user and let the SL user WITHDRAW IT FROM PAYPAL.  WHY, would Linden Labs need to somehow route it to your bank???  Thats not LL's concern.  Nevertheless, my PayPal account, backed by a major credit card, is no longer good enough..  So, after seven years on SL,  it's apparently time to leave.  No money = not much to do.  So long everyone.  Its been fun, until Linden Labs managed to mess it up.  

LL does require that your PayPal account be "Verified".  Back in the day, you could do that via a charge card - and that is how many of us did it.  However, these days, apparently a credit card is not enough to verify the account -- per PayPal's latest info, anyway.  That would be why LL is saying that you need to attach your bank account to your PayPal account.

image.png.f7ccdd6f44ab1565d7ca17890e6083bb.png

Mine withdraws to PayPal never had to give bank info. By the way, making money on SL is quite easy I rack in about $500 after costs per month. Anything above $1000 PayPal/SL will ask for your info.

Also what's the issue with linking it up if you aren't doing something shady ? 

And it can also be reactive, if you have got lindens that's not really rightfully yours and someone reports it, you need to pony up verification.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

I'm not looking to run a business, only to purchase Lindens so that I can buy items FROM businesses in SL.  I don't need to have money returned to me and most likely never will.  Linden's reason , as told to me by their rep, for requiring a bank routing number is to RETURN money from SL to a vendor, which will not happen in my case and indeed in the case of the vast majority of SL users.   The reason I don't want to attach a bank account to this is simple security.  If the Pentagon can be hacked, and it HAS been, do you think it's impossible for someone to hack SL?  Attaching a bank account opens yet another avenue for them.  I have already been through a hacking incident with another retailers bank, which was pretty nasty at first.  It ended up being resolved but only after a LOT of grief for all of their customers.  The question is moot anyway.  Since Linden now requires this and I'm not willing to connect a bank account to PayPal for their benefit, then nothing can be resolved.  The only ones being hurt here are the vendors of SL.  Since there are a number of people who , because of their age, cannot legally open a bank account or others, like me, who simply don't want to experience the kind of vulnerability that comes with multiple avenues that can be exploited. This curtails the pool of potential customers for goods and services for the vendors here.  Best wishes to all.

23 minutes ago, Grimassi said:

I'm not looking to run a business, only to purchase Lindens so that I can buy items FROM businesses in SL.  I don't need to have money returned to me and most likely never will.  Linden's reason , as told to me by their rep, for requiring a bank routing number is to RETURN money from SL to a vendor, which will not happen in my case and indeed in the case of the vast majority of SL users.

See, the money returned to a vendour has to come from somewhere, right? There is no use in watching recipients if the money they get can appear without any reason at all... So in order to comply with the law they have to watch how the money comes to SL as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grimassi said:

I'm not looking to run a business, only to purchase Lindens so that I can buy items FROM businesses in SL.  I don't need to have money returned to me and most likely never will.  Linden's reason , as told to me by their rep, for requiring a bank routing number is to RETURN money from SL to a vendor, which will not happen in my case and indeed in the case of the vast majority of SL users.   The reason I don't want to attach a bank account to this is simple security.  If the Pentagon can be hacked, and it HAS been, do you think it's impossible for someone to hack SL?  Attaching a bank account opens yet another avenue for them.  I have already been through a hacking incident with another retailers bank, which was pretty nasty at first.  It ended up being resolved but only after a LOT of grief for all of their customers.  The question is moot anyway.  Since Linden now requires this and I'm not willing to connect a bank account to PayPal for their benefit, then nothing can be resolved.  The only ones being hurt here are the vendors of SL.  Since there are a number of people who , because of their age, cannot legally open a bank account or others, like me, who simply don't want to experience the kind of vulnerability that comes with multiple avenues that can be exploited. This curtails the pool of potential customers for goods and services for the vendors here.  Best wishes to all.

We've beat this to death, in this thread and the other one.  Despite what you want or think, LL makes the rules for SL and thus you only have 2 options:  Attach your credit card directly to your SL account (no need to get your bank account involved then) or attach you bank account to PayPal so that they can "Verify" you account, which LL requires.  Neither of those options involve you giving LL your bank account info.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 10:20 PM, Grimassi said:

Where abouts do you live? I know for some countries have stricter control regarding e-money (mainly to prevent money from going out of the country) 
Turkey is one to some aspect, China is big on preventing money from going out via crytpo but I dont think there's any bars on lindens. 
I know Dutch had some issues when terrorist in Paris was a monthly headline because they were funneling money any possible way they could find. Bulk of South American countries have similar measure to prevent money being moved offshore en masse.

Long story short, I do not think it's LL, more likely your host country has financial restrictions that LL has to comply to.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.