Help with skin showing thru.

sweetsbrowneyes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, hoping I'm posting this under the correct heading.
I'm presently using a maitreya body with maitrya clothes (Regretting patronizing the maitreya because of the "help" group-there were other bodies/options to support with my L's).   I'm very FRUSTRATED with the horizontal lines in the alpha that ONLY hide certain sections of body BUT at the same time also remove large areas of the body, DEPENDING on how the clothes are designed.  How do I cover areas of the body where clothing should be, for instance with vertical straps of clothing or diagonal portions of clothing??   The alpha does not cover these areas.  I either end up with large pieces of skin missing or holes in the clothes!!   Thank you.

Are the pieces of clothing that you are using specifically rigged for the maitreya body or are they just general sized mesh clothes?

It sounds like regular mesh clothing since it is not automatically laying on the body properly nor meant to fit with the pre-existing alpha cuts. Are you by chance able to add a snapshot?

• Like 1

Note that a lot of clothes made for mesh bodies have automatic alpha slots. If you wear one of those garments then you will have parts of your body invisible UNTIL you set the body or turn the particular areas to "skin" again.  Since 75 percent of gals wearing mesh bodies are using Lara, there is of course a way to make those clothes work :D.

THAT being said there are some folks that advertise fits for Maitreya and the garments really don't fit. That is a problem in itself but has nothing to do with the alpha slots.   I suggest turning ALL the alphas off and then trying on a garment and see what happens.  It DOES take some practice. 

• Like 2

In addition to what has already been said.. I want to stress  DEMO DEMO DEMO...  if you get a demo first then you can easily see if you need the alpha sections, an if so if they are gonna work for you as you expect..  if you can't get it to look the way you want and the alpha sections are not preventing poke through or are too big and leaving holes then chances are it is the clothing rigging, design and fit that is the issue.. using a demo first ensures you do not pay for things that don't work.. if the demo doesn't work then don't buy the item.. if there is no demo .. don't buy the item either, that is risky. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Greetings,

The answer is something that you will not be able to implement.

In short. Proper Weight Painting on the designers/developers part eliminates this issue. Holes, lack of garment movement, and skinthrough, are all symptoms of one of the following.

1. The garment was not properly weight painted using Avastar, or other 3d Development application.

2. The garment was weight painted on a model other than the intended body to be used on. ie.. you weight painted on TMP but then packaged for Legacy. Since TMP has not been updated since they closed their store which was some time ago from what I read. The result is holes, and skin through the clothing.

I'm not sure why someone stated "Interesting Advertisement", since this is obviously a problem. However, they did mention something worthwhile, in stating "Always try the demos", and if you can alpha them out, then by all means go for it. If you can't then don't buy.

Edited by Xdearukoto

6 hours ago, Xdearukoto said:

2. The garment was weight painted on a model other than the intended body to be used on. ie.. you weight painted on TMP but then packaged for Legacy. Since TMP has not been updated since they closed their store which was some time ago from what I read. The result is holes, and skin through the clothing.

TMP is Legacy.. Same creators. New product. Same issues with how they do things that TMP had. If they close up shop, your Legacy body will stop working properly. All textures are stored on an external server not part of SL. 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:22 PM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

TMP is Legacy.. Same creators. New product. Same issues with how they do things that TMP had. If they close up shop, your Legacy body will stop working properly. All textures are stored on an external server not part of SL. 

That may or may not be true, from what I understand Legacy is just making the mesh body and does not provide any clothing. In addition, I have not seen any evidence of TMP making any clothing either but feel free to correct me with provided evidence if I'm mistaken. However, the main focus is that someone posted they see holes in the clothing and thus far from what I've seen it's the freelancer designers that are providing it and not Legacy. Lets stay on focus here, and on topic. ^_^

22 minutes ago, Xdearukoto said:

That may or may not be true, from what I understand Legacy is just making the mesh body and does not provide any clothing. In addition, I have not seen any evidence of TMP making any clothing either but feel free to correct me with provided evidence if I'm mistaken. However, the main focus is that someone posted they see holes in the clothing and thus far from what I've seen it's the freelancer designers that are providing it and not Legacy. Lets stay on focus here, and on topic. ^_^

When you went to the TMP store to buy the body they sold clothing as well.. Made by them. The TMP bodies were offset a few inches from the system body, which is why clothing made for them by other mesh makers were sometimes off and didnt line up properly. 
Legacy IS the body.. TMP was the body.. The Shops is the store that sells/sold them. 

1 minute ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

... said the one who necroed the thread. 🙄

I cant believe i missed that... 

/me smacks his hand with a ruler. "Bad Drake.. Bad.. No replying to necroposts.. Now go sit in the corner and reflect on what you did.. "

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xdearukoto said:

Lets stay on focus here, and on topic. ^_^

Well since the original post was about Maitreya and alpha cuts, the mention of TMP (which no one makes clothes for anymore) and Legacy is off topic.  We ALL know that some creators do a good job and others don't which is why you demo.  

Necroposts... Always amusing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xdearukoto said:

I have not seen any evidence of TMP making any clothing either but feel free to correct me with provided evidence if I'm mistaken.

TMP made a whole range of men's and women's clothes, footwear & accessories. you used to have to use their stupid HUD based shopping experience and currency to buy anything until it was all made free then you just had the shopping HUD to deal with, Everything my alt is wearing from the neck down in this pic is from TMP

myalttoday_005_002.thumb.png.c719f6f4eaf188c0bda4dc7de187f125.png

Also, most mesh body creators aren't making clothes for their own mesh bodies.  That would be what the developer kits are for.  TMP was reluctant to provide those kits but not so much with their Legacy bodies which is supported by the majority of clothing creators.

Edited by Rowan Amore

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well since the original post was about Maitreya and alpha cuts, the mention of TMP (which no one makes clothes for anymore) and Legacy is off topic.  We ALL know that some creators do a good job and others don't which is why you demo.  

Necroposts... Always amusing.

Actually, if you read my original post. TMP was used as an example and not as a topic subject. The issue was and still is "Weight Painting", and the affects when it's not done properly, and holes which are not fixable are the result.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Xdearukoto said:

Actually, if you read my original post. TMP was used as an example and not as a topic subject. The issue was and still is "Weight Painting", and the affects when it's not done properly, and holes which are not fixable are the result.

Actually... If you read the OP, they were talking about the alpha cuts in the Maitreya body not lining up with the mesh clothing they bought. Weight painting of mesh clothing has nothing to do with that. What they need is the proper alpha layer for the specific clothing. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.