Voice or Text?

RachelWales

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I prefer texting in SL for the same reasons as yours. Also, whenever I listen in on idle talk in SL it makes me feel a little disappointed. The voices often break the imagined person behind the avatar that I have in my head. The cute lil furry, the dangerous assassin, the bubbly blonde, all revert back to ... some regular person sitting at their computer. 

• Like 7

Mainly text chat since I feel that voice is a bit more personal and I don't want to get too personal with most people in SL.  When I used to runway model in SL, though, I wished more people would use voice to give us instructions as it would have saved many hours in rehearsals.  I guess it depends on what you're doing.  Regular chit chat = text.  Work related issues = voice.

• Like 5

I rarely speak to anyone, but on the occasions that I do, I prefer text.   I spend most of my socializing time on forums, such as this one where I have plenty of time to sort through my thoughts, read what other people have to say, and respond in a manner I find satisfactory.  I am lousy with small talk among strangers, and voice chat is the worst.. When talking with people I'm unfamiliar with, I'll think about what I want to say which causes pauses, and just feels really unnatural.  

Plus, when I have turned on voice chat which is pretty rare, it seems people are arguing, playing music, or going on with drunken ramblings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RachelWales said:

Do You Prefer Chatting Using Voice or Text? Personally, I prefer text because it seems to be more "democratic" because more than one person can chat at the same time. It also allows one to sort their thoughts out before speaking. What's your preference and why?

Text.

High frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Linda Reddevil said:

Mainly text chat since I feel that voice is a bit more personal and I don't want to get too personal with most people in SL.  When I used to runway model in SL, though, I wished more people would use voice to give us instructions as it would have saved many hours in rehearsals.  I guess it depends on what you're doing.  Regular chit chat = text.  Work related issues = voice.

The agencies I worked for didn't use voice. Most of us knew what to do and only needed to practice (rehearse) a bit because we had been given explicit instructions via notecard and were encouraged to ask questions. Of course the very first agency I worked for back in 2005... voice didn't exist yet.

For those of us with hearing loss (partial or complete) voice is not doable.

• Like 2

I only communicate through text, I can throw headphones on and listen if it is a must...but I highly despise it and won't do it for long. I have fibromyalgia, which comes with sensory overload so listening to people rambling, kids screaming, dogs barking, and other noises can be very overwhelming. I have used voice in the past but I think it takes away from SL and the immersion. Also, my wifey and I share our bedroom/computer room, so me chatting away on voice while her and I are watching TV would be disruptive and rude to her and I'm sure no one wants to listen to us binge watching NCIS.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Would have to be text, Don't think i've ever voiced. Text is good you can respond in your own time and really think about what you want to say

Same here. Secondly, I think it adds to the immersion.

Third, I like to keep chat logs - which would be moot using voice.

And fourth, Voice isn't working best on my Linux machine anyway, so keeping Voice running always is a hassle, that's why I just listen if I have to. On my own ground, however, Voice is off entirely.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 3

Text is my default. Could switch to voice if needed. Need a new headset to do so, old one broke but easy enough to replace, but have actually just had *one* request for voice since it broke many moons ago.

When I first joined SL I sometimes had to sit with a headset on for hours at work, often lots of overtime. Do that for SL as well? No thanks :)

• Like 3

text only. I also consider voicing more personal, and I hate noise and all the background sounds. I have muted a lot of sound options already, I couldn’t stand the gestures accompanied by sounds. Last but not least, I really don’t want to hear things that I have to read sometimes. 

• Like 6

Absolutely text.  In almost 12 years, I have never used voice or even wanted to.  My primary reason, as others have noted, is that voice ruins my sense of immersion.  It's an annoying distraction, completely ruining my mental image of the person I am chatting with.  Typing chat lets me slow down and think carefully about what to say, and forces me to pause and read what others have said.  I can even read it days later if I want to have a permanent record for business purposes.

Probably the best reason for using chat, though, is that the very best word play is written, not spoken.  Some really super puns and double entendres would be totally lost if you didn't have chat.  Heck, I am such a lousy typist that I can create funny lines without even trying.  That's a real plus for me.  After all, my name isn't Rolig for nothing.  (Get out Google Translate and look up the Swedish.  And for the double meaning, check Danish.)

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Absolutely text.  In almost 12 years, I have never used voice or even wanted to.  My primary reason, as others have noted, is that voice ruins my sense of immersion.  It's an annoying distraction, completely ruining my mental image of the person I am chatting with.  Typing chat lets me slow down and think carefully about what to say, and forces me to pause and read what others have said.  I can even read it days later if I want to have a permanent record for business purposes.

Probably the best reason for using chat, though, is that the very best word play is written, not spoken.  Some really super puns and double entendres would be totally lost if you didn't have chat.  Heck, I am such a lousy typist that I can create funny lines without even trying.  That's a real plus for me.  After all, my name isn't Rolig for nothing.  (Get out Google Translate and look up the Swedish.  And for the double meaning, check Danish.)

I kinda thunk your name alluded to that. Fellow Scandinavian :)

• Like 3

I keep SL and RL separate, my voice is a part of the RL me, so I don't share that in SL. Besides, I come across as much smarter when I write than when I speak. I also listen to music from another source when in SL, and the noise from SL is just a distraction to that, so my speakers are off. 

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.