How can I locate a lost item on the map in sl viewer?

Ellide Grau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I breed cats - wildwood breedable cats - and one of them has wandered out of my skybox somehow - and it is lost somewhere on the sim. not in lost & found - no record of return in transaction history - not in inventory at all - prims are also missing from parcel prim count - so tat means it's wandered off and is lost somewhere on the sim. it's not my land - and I don't use a viewer that can item search on parcel. land owner is out - and it's a huge sim. how can I locate my cat? how am I able to item serach or find it somewhere? is there a way? thanks.

edit: nope, not on ground - if it were I'd be some kind of noob not to check there first - wouldn't I? ;p duh.

ok but so I've used highlight trans - beacons - object search - wandered endlessly on sim - and now I have contacted live chat support - and they are looking. ;p

edit2: well live chat support couldn't find it either ;p and suggested I file a ticket - and I've also contacted the product support for a possible replacement ;p

ultimately the solution is: get a new one ;p it's lost to simlag forever probably.. =/

9 answers to this question

If you don't want to use a viewer capable of area search, the easiest thing I can think of is using a LSL script using the llSensor script function to search for your item, preferably if you know the name of the item you are looking for. But you might have to walk/fly around the sim to scan for it because scanning with llSensor is limited to a radius of 96m.

Hello Ellide. My feeling is that your cat is on the ground exactly below your skybox. If the cat was very close to a wall in your skybox its possible to move and somehow it passed through it, it met vacuum and it falled down. Cats (at least the breeds i know in SL) cant move in long distance from the point you rezz them. So fly down and look for it!

Unfortunately i have no time now to watch the other answers and possible comments to my post (i will be back later), i dont know also if it is possible for it to fall down, just i expressed what i would have done if i had lost the cat. My first thought.

Try going to About Land > Script Info

Depending on how much power you have on the land you may be able to find it that way as it is scripted.

Also your objects show as blue on the mini-map, which could help if you don`t have objects all over the sim and that one has wandered away from your plot where most of the blue would normally be.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2011 at 10:55 AM, Ellide Grau said:

I breed cats - wildwood breedable cats - and one of them has wandered out of my skybox somehow - and it is lost somewhere on the sim. not in lost & found - no record of return in transaction history - not in inventory at all - prims are also missing from parcel prim count - so tat means it's wandered off and is lost somewhere on the sim. it's not my land - and I don't use a viewer that can item search on parcel. land owner is out - and it's a huge sim. how can I locate my cat? how am I able to item serach or find it somewhere? is there a way? thanks.

edit: nope, not on ground - if it were I'd be some kind of noob not to check there first - wouldn't I? ;p duh.

ok but so I've used highlight trans - beacons - object search - wandered endlessly on sim - and now I have contacted live chat support - and they are looking. ;p

edit2: well live chat support couldn't find it either ;p and suggested I file a ticket - and I've also contacted the product support for a possible replacement ;p

ultimately the solution is: get a new one ;p it's lost to simlag forever probably.. =/ go to world on top then pick area search 

a boc will pop up. walk where the meter is close ans you can and open camera controls and pan it down. its probably under the floor 

or you can click the name of kitty you put in the box and teleport to it then pan to it 

then edit it to move to you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.