Catwa Eye Issue

Brooke Portilo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had this exact issue a few months ago. What I did was just use mesh eyes and not the ones that came with the head. I have no idea why they do that, like for me it just happened suddenly when I logged in one day. They were working fine before then 😕

oh well...

When you say everything, what about: 

Editing your shape? Try things like eye depth and eye opening. Just like with system shapes, just because you CAN use extreme numbers on the sliders doesn't mean you SHOULD. That head may not be made for your desired eye shape and may not play nicely with those slider numbers. For a good test without editing your own shape, try on a few demos and see if the issue persists. Look for demos with an eye shape different to what you're trying now.

A redelivery? Does a fresh head and eyes have the same issue, in either the default shape or yours?

Reset skeleton/animations? Could be an animation got stuck/buggy in a weird place. 

Ah. Okay, that helps. Are they rigged eyes, or the unrigged catwa mesh eyes? Are you using a mesh head, and which?

If they're unrigged, you should be able to change the size, either manually or with the HUD. Make a copy first! In case it goes wrong. You should also be able to move them manually, so try shifting them back, or up slightly, or a combination. Again, copy first.

6 hours ago, Brooke Portilo said:

Its a Catwa head and they are rigged.. i have tried soo many demos selling catwa mesh eyes and not one of them works for me

You say that you're looking for people who sell 'Catwa mesh eyes' but what you need to do is look for Catwa appliers. Actual mesh eyeballs made by another creator may not be the same size or at the same rigged position as the eyes that come with your head. The creator will have different shape sliders set on their own avatar, so what looks fine on them might look odd on someone else.

Troubleshooting tips:

• Use the 'Catwa Eyes Rig [head name]' that came with your Catwa head (eg: 'Catwa Eyes Rig Catya') and look for creators who sell eye appliers. The rigged eyes in your head's folder are set correctly for the Catwa head.
  • Make sure your eye depth slider is at 50, which is what it should be for Catwa Bento heads.
  • Check the upper cheekbone, cheek fullness, and lower eyelid depth sliders. Those are probably the ones causing the issue. (There are other sliders that may be causing it, but without logging in I can't check. I'm thinking of things like inner eyelid corner, under-eye bags, etc. Look for all of those.)
  • Right-click your avatar and select Appearance > Reset > Skeleton (in case any animations have caused issues with it).

If none of the above work (or your favourite eye creator doesn't make appliers) then see if they have unrigged eyes that you can edit manually. If you use unrigged eyes, then use a pose stand (or Firestorm's built-in pose stand), get the unrigged eyes into a position that looks OK from the front, and then use the Eye AO on the Catwa Animations HUD to check those 'looking into each corner' positions - which is where most under-lid poke-through occurs - and edit the eyes back into your head just enough to fix them.

As an absolute last resort, write down all of the slider settings for your shape (it shouldn't take too long; just write the tab header, then all of the numbers sequentially, no need to name each setting), then put on the Catwa Starter Shape in your head's folder. Recreate all of your settings except for the ones that will affect the eyes and upper cheeks (I can't log in right now, so I can't check - and can't remember even after almost 12 years in SL! - which ones those would be). Then save your shape, come out of Edit Appearance, and use the Catwa Animations HUD to put your eyes into the pose that made them poke through before. Go back into Edit Appearance, and - one by one - change the final set of sliders, leaving the ones that will affect the lower eyes (eyes, cheekbone, cheek fullness etc) until last. You should then see which slider is causing the issue, and be able to tweak it just slightly. Be aware that it may be a combination of two sliders that are causing the problem, so by tweaking them both just a little you might be able to fix it without any noticable difference in your face shape.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.