Jump to content
  • 0
ultimateslasher

FRAMES PER SECOND

Question

I'm looking for answers into my Frames per Second just of late it is jumping up an down,is there anyway i can alter the performance with this as to where it is running ok where it doesn't affect my in-world experience IT'S RUNNING BETWEEN 5.8-6.8       THANK-YOU.

I'AM A NOOB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
3 minutes ago, ultimateslasher said:

I'm looking for answers into my Frames per Second just of late it is jumping up an down,is there anyway i can alter the performance with this as to where it is running ok where it doesn't affect my in-world experience IT'S RUNNING BETWEEN 5.8-6.8       THANK-YOU.

I'AM A NOOB

FPS is VERY dependent on where you are and what mesh and textures (and prims and sculpts) you are looking at.  So some places are hopefully better than your 6fps (which is pretty much unusable).

First thing to do it turn your graphics settings down some.   Just move that little "knob" back a bit.  It is also very dependent on your computer and so your computer may not be hefty enough for Second Life. 

You can also close other programs that you don't need and certainly DON'T have your browser open on top of Second Life as I am doing now. With the browser and viewer both open I have 18.7 fps. With only viewer on the screen I have 175 :D.

Good luck!

image.thumb.png.51035f55cd4267018d4726357b90858e.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yeah, that's a lousy FPS.  An average SL resident should expect to get at least 20 - 30 FPS.  You can adjust Preference settings to keep your draw distance below 128m, your Maximum Complexity below 300,00, your Max Non-Imposter Avatars to no more than 3.  If that's not enough, kill Advanced Lighting and lower your Quality slider one notch to the left.

Some things are beyond your control, of course.  You didn't tell us anything at all about your computer, but its own graphics card will place limits on what you can do in SL.  Also, your FPS will change radically as you goi from one place to another in SL, simply because some landowner take less care to avoid overly laggy designing, and because some regions ahve a ton of avatars in them.  You can always trade up to a better computer and you can avoid visiting laggy regions in world, but otherwise there's not much you can do about those sorts of limitations.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, that's a lousy FPS.  An average SL resident should expect to get at least 20 - 30 FPS.  You can adjust Preference settings to keep your draw distance below 128m, your Maximum Complexity below 300,00, your Max Non-Imposter Avatars to no more than 3.  If that's not enough, kill Advanced Lighting and lower your Quality slider one notch to the left.

Some things are beyond your control, of course.  You didn't tell us anything at all about your computer, but its own graphics card will place limits on what you can do in SL.  Also, your FPS will change radically as you goi from one place to another in SL, simply because some landowner take less care to avoid overly laggy designing, and because some regions ahve a ton of avatars in them.  You can always trade up to a better computer and you can avoid visiting laggy regions in world, but otherwise there's not much you can do about those sorts of limitations.

Hi thank-you my PC is a i7-2600k @ 3.40ghz 8gb Nivada card 8gb....so i'll try with what your saying to do.thank you so much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, that's a lousy FPS.  An average SL resident should expect to get at least 20 - 30 FPS.  You can adjust Preference settings to keep your draw distance below 128m, your Maximum Complexity below 300,00, your Max Non-Imposter Avatars to no more than 3.  If that's not enough, kill Advanced Lighting and lower your Quality slider one notch to the left.

Some things are beyond your control, of course.  You didn't tell us anything at all about your computer, but its own graphics card will place limits on what you can do in SL.  Also, your FPS will change radically as you goi from one place to another in SL, simply because some landowner take less care to avoid overly laggy designing, and because some regions ahve a ton of avatars in them.  You can always trade up to a better computer and you can avoid visiting laggy regions in world, but otherwise there's not much you can do about those sorts of limitations.

Hi thank-you my PC is a i7-2600k @ 3.40ghz 8gb Nivada card 8gb....I'll try these settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

FPS is VERY dependent on where you are and what mesh and textures (and prims and sculpts) you are looking at.  So some places are hopefully better than your 6fps (which is pretty much unusable).

First thing to do it turn your graphics settings down some.   Just move that little "knob" back a bit.  It is also very dependent on your computer and so your computer may not be hefty enough for Second Life. 

You can also close other programs that you don't need and certainly DON'T have your browser open on top of Second Life as I am doing now. With the browser and viewer both open I have 18.7 fps. With only viewer on the screen I have 175 :D.

Good luck!

image.thumb.png.51035f55cd4267018d4726357b90858e.png

Hi thank-you my PC is a i7-2600k @ 3.40ghz 8gb Nivada card 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Not bad hardware. A little old. We would need to know the NVIDIA model...

When you ask a tech question use the viewer's HELP->About... to get the computer/viewer specs and driver versions. Paste it all in here.

For best performance you have to experiment. The Quality and Speed slider is generalized. You can always do better with custom settings. I suggest you take a screenshot of the Preferences Graphics panel, like Chic did. Move the slider left to get better FPS. Then click on graphics features and move the settings toward the setting you captured or the ones above. See which slows you and doesn't enhance the render much. Those values you can leave low or lower even more. Those that make a significant improvement to the render without much slowing, turn up.

It is an experiment as computers are different. But, your i7, old or not, and an NVIDIA card should do better than 6 FPS.

Use something like HDMonitor (free) to see how hard your video card is working or not. Some laptops will turn off the NVIDIA graphics to save power. You may have to set up an NVIDIA profile for the SL program. See http://blog.nalates.net/2016/06/05/nvidia-settings-2016/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Not bad hardware. A little old. We would need to know the NVIDIA model...

When you ask a tech question use the viewer's HELP->About... to get the computer/viewer specs and driver versions. Paste it all in here.

For best performance you have to experiment. The Quality and Speed slider is generalized. You can always do better with custom settings. I suggest you take a screenshot of the Preferences Graphics panel, like Chic did. Move the slider left to get better FPS. Then click on graphics features and move the settings toward the setting you captured or the ones above. See which slows you and doesn't enhance the render much. Those values you can leave low or lower even more. Those that make a significant improvement to the render without much slowing, turn up.

It is an experiment as computers are different. But, your i7, old or not, and an NVIDIA card should do better than 6 FPS.

Use something like HDMonitor (free) to see how hard your video card is working or not. Some laptops will turn off the NVIDIA graphics to save power. You may have to set up an NVIDIA profile for the SL program. See http://blog.nalates.net/2016/06/05/nvidia-settings-2016/

 

Hi thank-you for you blog of my question,my graphics is a Nividia GeForce 570 along with being an i7 8gb...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
37 minutes ago, ultimateslasher said:

Hi thank-you for you blog of my question,my graphics is a Nividia GeForce 570 along with being an i7 8gb...

please don't forget to paste your system info, this is not enough to see your settings to get help

10 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When you ask a tech question use the viewer's HELP->About... to get the computer/viewer specs and driver versions. Paste it all in here.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

please don't forget to paste your system info, this is not enough to see your settings to get help

 

You are at 244.0, 178.0, 1,500.6 in Sanchon located at sim10776.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.56.66:13001)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sanchon/244/178/1501
(global coordinates 264,692.0, 240,562.0, 1,500.6)
Second Life RC LeTigre 19.01.09.523003
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.19 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.13.5306
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.06

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.5
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.09
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.9.0002.30313

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 2560x1365 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.25
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 768 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-1-6T8:9:27 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/5,110 (0.0%)
January 24 2019 03:35:33 SLT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Not bad hardware. A little old. We would need to know the NVIDIA model...

When you ask a tech question use the viewer's HELP->About... to get the computer/viewer specs and driver versions. Paste it all in here.

For best performance you have to experiment. The Quality and Speed slider is generalized. You can always do better with custom settings. I suggest you take a screenshot of the Preferences Graphics panel, like Chic did. Move the slider left to get better FPS. Then click on graphics features and move the settings toward the setting you captured or the ones above. See which slows you and doesn't enhance the render much. Those values you can leave low or lower even more. Those that make a significant improvement to the render without much slowing, turn up.

It is an experiment as computers are different. But, your i7, old or not, and an NVIDIA card should do better than 6 FPS.

Use something like HDMonitor (free) to see how hard your video card is working or not. Some laptops will turn off the NVIDIA graphics to save power. You may have to set up an NVIDIA profile for the SL program. See http://blog.nalates.net/2016/06/05/nvidia-settings-2016/

 

You are at 244.0, 178.0, 1,500.6 in Sanchon located at sim10776.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.56.66:13001)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sanchon/244/178/1501
(global coordinates 264,692.0, 240,562.0, 1,500.6)
Second Life RC LeTigre 19.01.09.523003
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.19 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.13.5306
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.06

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.5
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.09
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.9.0002.30313

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 2560x1365 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.25
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 768 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2019-1-6T8:9:27 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/5,110 (0.0%)
January 24 2019 03:35:33 SLT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That GPU is old but shouldn't get you that low on FPS, so is your CPU. Do you have a hard drive or an SSD? If you're on hard drive, it could be that your hard drive has gotten slow over the years and it makes things load slower (it can affect FPS too in some scenarios)

Other factors could be other programs running on Windows that's slowing down your computer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

/me adds disclaimer about not being technical but if it was me the first thing I would try is turning off advanced lighting in your preferences 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, lucagrabacr said:

That GPU is old but shouldn't get you that low on FPS, so is your CPU. Do you have a hard drive or an SSD? If you're on hard drive, it could be that your hard drive has gotten slow over the years and it makes things load slower (it can affect FPS too in some scenarios)

Other factors could be other programs running on Windows that's slowing down your computer

Hi thanks for your reply it's an hard drive,but currently looking at getting a SSD...an also by the looks of things getting a new graphics card,i'm currently running on between 21.2 to 26.1..it's better but keeps going up an down...grrrrr..thank you anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

FPS of 21 to 26 isn't bad, especially with that old graphics card and especially running with Advanced Lighting on.  You should normally expect FPS to drop in busy regions or in places where there is a lot of complex graphics (shopping malls or other places where there are a ton of textures to render).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

FPS of 21 to 26 isn't bad, especially with that old graphics card and especially running with Advanced Lighting on.  You should normally expect FPS to drop in busy regions or in places where there is a lot of complex graphics (shopping malls or other places where there are a ton of textures to render).

A lot of avatars with high complexity (for example, in a crowded club) can really lag you down.  If the slow framerates happen in busy places, try moving your Complexity slider to, oh, about 150,000.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The graphics driver is old (NVIDIA 353.06) and you are on Win-7. Through Win-8 and 10 Microsoft improved game support. Win-7 has another year of MS support. Then it is done. About a year or two after that time Chrome and Firefox will stop supporting it. There are still ways to upgrade to Win-10. The Current NVIDIA driver is WHQL 391.35.

In 2010 I made a graphics tweaking tutorial. It explains the settings in the viewer and which to tweak for better performance or improved graphics. Things have changed. But, mostly things just got moved around in the interface. You can figure it out.

You are using Firestorm so you can easily save a set of viewer settings. Save a set then start experimenting. 

When I test I test in a Safe Hub (...and why do they call them safe?), in an area with stuff and no avatars - like Denby at ground level, and at 1,500m to 3,000m altitude where there is almost nothing. This tells me if I need to concentrate on avatar related settings, stuff settings, or computer issues. With nothing around you should be getting a high FPS rate. If you aren't, something is up with the computer. With your 2nd gen CPU and a 570 I would expect something in the 50 to 100 FPS at altitude in a deserted and empty region, like Furball.

A hard disk is not going to affect your FPS in any significant way. I have viewers running on WD Black, SSD, and Ram drives. I can't tell any difference in FPS. I see a significant difference in scene render time between the type of drives. Also in menu and panel open times.

A factor we seldom discuss is RAM speed. The free app CPU-Z will give you your motherboard model. You can look up the max RAM it will hold and the max RAM speed it can handle. CPU-Z will list what is installed. The i7-2600k uses DDR3-1066, 1333, 1600, 1866, 2133, 2400, and 2800 memory. These old chips are really cheap. Your motherboard controls how much you can install, 8 to 32 GB. You are running on 8GB. IF it is 1066 memory you can almost triple memory speed by switching to 2400. That isn't going to triple you FPS. Maybe 10 to 20% faster, at 20 FPS that is 2 to 4 FPS boost.

Your 2600k is made to be overclocked. How easy that will be depends on your motherboard. My newer ASUS board makes it was easy. A 10 to 20% speed boost in the CPU can up the FPS by about half that number.

Try the easy and cheap settings changes then move to hardware. Once your happy with the visual and performance quality... you're done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

A lot of avatars with high complexity (for example, in a crowded club) can really lag you down.  If the slow framerates happen in busy places, try moving your Complexity slider to, oh, about 150,000.

Yes thank-you for your advice,i'm trying all -sorts with it at the minute,but it keeps hovering around 21.2 an 26.1-that's in London city where as you'll know gets very busy thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The graphics driver is old (NVIDIA 353.06) and you are on Win-7. Through Win-8 and 10 Microsoft improved game support. Win-7 has another year of MS support. Then it is done. About a year or two after that time Chrome and Firefox will stop supporting it. There are still ways to upgrade to Win-10. The Current NVIDIA driver is WHQL 391.35.

In 2010 I made a graphics tweaking tutorial. It explains the settings in the viewer and which to tweak for better performance or improved graphics. Things have changed. But, mostly things just got moved around in the interface. You can figure it out.

You are using Firestorm so you can easily save a set of viewer settings. Save a set then start experimenting. 

When I test I test in a Safe Hub (...and why do they call them safe?), in an area with stuff and no avatars - like Denby at ground level, and at 1,500m to 3,000m altitude where there is almost nothing. This tells me if I need to concentrate on avatar related settings, stuff settings, or computer issues. With nothing around you should be getting a high FPS rate. If you aren't, something is up with the computer. With your 2nd gen CPU and a 570 I would expect something in the 50 to 100 FPS at altitude in a deserted and empty region, like Furball.

A hard disk is not going to affect your FPS in any significant way. I have viewers running on WD Black, SSD, and Ram drives. I can't tell any difference in FPS. I see a significant difference in scene render time between the type of drives. Also in menu and panel open times.

A factor we seldom discuss is RAM speed. The free app CPU-Z will give you your motherboard model. You can look up the max RAM it will hold and the max RAM speed it can handle. CPU-Z will list what is installed. The i7-2600k uses DDR3-1066, 1333, 1600, 1866, 2133, 2400, and 2800 memory. These old chips are really cheap. Your motherboard controls how much you can install, 8 to 32 GB. You are running on 8GB. IF it is 1066 memory you can almost triple memory speed by switching to 2400. That isn't going to triple you FPS. Maybe 10 to 20% faster, at 20 FPS that is 2 to 4 FPS boost.

Your 2600k is made to be overclocked. How easy that will be depends on your motherboard. My newer ASUS board makes it was easy. A 10 to 20% speed boost in the CPU can up the FPS by about half that number.

Try the easy and cheap settings changes then move to hardware. Once your happy with the visual and performance quality... you're done.

Thank you for all of this advice,but can i ask you if i download that WHQL 391.35 will this help my graphics card please have a bit of patience with me i'm all new to all of this lol..thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The graphics driver is old (NVIDIA 353.06) and you are on Win-7. Through Win-8 and 10 Microsoft improved game support. Win-7 has another year of MS support. Then it is done. About a year or two after that time Chrome and Firefox will stop supporting it. There are still ways to upgrade to Win-10. The Current NVIDIA driver is WHQL 391.35.

In 2010 I made a graphics tweaking tutorial. It explains the settings in the viewer and which to tweak for better performance or improved graphics. Things have changed. But, mostly things just got moved around in the interface. You can figure it out.

You are using Firestorm so you can easily save a set of viewer settings. Save a set then start experimenting. 

When I test I test in a Safe Hub (...and why do they call them safe?), in an area with stuff and no avatars - like Denby at ground level, and at 1,500m to 3,000m altitude where there is almost nothing. This tells me if I need to concentrate on avatar related settings, stuff settings, or computer issues. With nothing around you should be getting a high FPS rate. If you aren't, something is up with the computer. With your 2nd gen CPU and a 570 I would expect something in the 50 to 100 FPS at altitude in a deserted and empty region, like Furball.

A hard disk is not going to affect your FPS in any significant way. I have viewers running on WD Black, SSD, and Ram drives. I can't tell any difference in FPS. I see a significant difference in scene render time between the type of drives. Also in menu and panel open times.

A factor we seldom discuss is RAM speed. The free app CPU-Z will give you your motherboard model. You can look up the max RAM it will hold and the max RAM speed it can handle. CPU-Z will list what is installed. The i7-2600k uses DDR3-1066, 1333, 1600, 1866, 2133, 2400, and 2800 memory. These old chips are really cheap. Your motherboard controls how much you can install, 8 to 32 GB. You are running on 8GB. IF it is 1066 memory you can almost triple memory speed by switching to 2400. That isn't going to triple you FPS. Maybe 10 to 20% faster, at 20 FPS that is 2 to 4 FPS boost.

Your 2600k is made to be overclocked. How easy that will be depends on your motherboard. My newer ASUS board makes it was easy. A 10 to 20% speed boost in the CPU can up the FPS by about half that number.

Try the easy and cheap settings changes then move to hardware. Once your happy with the visual and performance quality... you're done.

The download is not compatable with my version,i'll just fiddle about more with my settings thank you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, ultimateslasher said:

Thank you for all of this advice,but can i ask you if i download that WHQL 391.35 will this help my graphics card please have a bit of patience with me i'm all new to all of this lol..thanks. 

 

5 hours ago, ultimateslasher said:

The download is not compatible with my version,i'll just fiddle about more with my settings thank you again.

The Geforce 500 Series Win-7-64 v391.35 is the latest driver for the 570. So, I'm not clear what you mean by 'not compatible with my version'. It works with Win-7@64 and the 570...

Will an updated driver be faster? One would have to test to know. I don't have a 570 so I can't. Some versions are faster, some not. NVIDIA usually claims performance improvements for each update. Each version has fewer problems. So, with NVIDIA, updates are usually wanted update.

Visiting London City standing outside the Freebie Megastore my Win-10 i5-6700k @ 4.1GHz w/32GB Ram + GTX1060-6GB set to Draw Distance 128m at between High-Ultra, ACI=350k, Sun-Moon+Pro, AA=2, and ALM on I average about 25 FPS. So, your 21+/- FPS isn't all that bad.

Turning up my draw distance catches more avatars and pulls my FPS down. At 64m I get 31 FPS.

image.png.273eadc85b9529a69b319bda41b0dc6b.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
46 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

 

The Geforce 500 Series Win-7-64 v391.35 is the latest driver for the 570. So, I'm not clear what you mean by 'not compatible with my version'. It works with Win-7@64 and the 570...

Will an updated driver be faster? One would have to test to know. I don't have a 570 so I can't. Some versions are faster, some not. NVIDIA usually claims performance improvements for each update. Each version has fewer problems. So, with NVIDIA, updates are usually wanted update.

Visiting London City standing outside the Freebie Megastore my Win-10 i5-6700k @ 4.1GHz w/32GB Ram + GTX1060-6GB set to Draw Distance 128m at between High-Ultra, ACI=350k, Sun-Moon+Pro, AA=2, and ALM on I average about 25 FPS. So, your 21+/- FPS isn't all that bad.

Turning up my draw distance catches more avatars and pulls my FPS down. At 64m I get 31 FPS.

image.png.273eadc85b9529a69b319bda41b0dc6b.png

 

Hi iv'e now found the up-date an things have improved alot i'm now getting into the 100.5's so i thank you for that tip..!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...