First vs now challenge

Karina Leborski

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lets see if I can find  some..hehehehe

Girl6 2006

sun

the lock

biker peace_022

welcome to my world biotch

Snapshot_025

Snapshot_071

Snapshot_300Snapshot_263

Ceka Cianci2

Zoe eyes_001

First pick of 2019

Euphoric lips, yummy_001

I figured I would take it easy on you guys this time..

But next time,I'm bringing the whole album.. :D

hehehehe

Have fun in your adventures to come ❤️

Ceka ❤️

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Ooooh, I remember your 2017 self, Ceka. And that's my 2015(?) through 2019 self.Pfft.thumb.jpg.cb4217b91a8d89e52961429b751cd205.jpg

hehehehe

It actually has two..  I was just doing a fancy twirl with it at the time..

This is what the hurting end of it looks like...Aaaand my two are way thicker..:P

hehehehehe

I love seeing everyone else's from the memory lanes :)

Caught off guard

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 6

On the left, one of the more characteristic "looks" that I sported between the end of 2008 until . . . well, roughly 4 months ago? Wearing my favourite jeans, an SLLU Feminist Network tee I made myself, and what most of my friends came to think of as my "signature" hair style (although I wore others more and more frequently later).

On the right, what I look like now, sort of, a lot of the time. In both pics, I'm at the SLLU Femnet HQ, which was one of my main hangouts then, and my "home" now.

There's not much question that I look "better" now in pretty much every way . . . but OMG I loved my look 8 years ago. It wasn't particularly sophisticated, expensive, or carefully crafted (I got my skin in 2008 on discount, because it was being discontinued!), and it took me probably all of about 2 hours to put together, shape and all, but I was so happy with it that it never really occurred to me that I needed to improve or update. Until roughly September of this past year, that is.

I'm struck by 1) how much more powerful and liberating so many of the options now available for avatar customization are, and 2) how, for me, making myself "look good" has sometimes become a chore rather than a pleasure, because the process is so much more complicated than it used to be. (And yes, I know that many, many people actually enjoy customization: more power to you! I wish I did!) And the irony is that, while I was very happy with my old system avatar for literally years and years, no amount of tinkering with shapes, skins, makeup, and so forth has yet left me satisfied with how I look now.

I guess the point is that appearance, because it can be so much better now, has come to seem much more important to me than it once did?

Comparison-Blank.png

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And the irony is that, while I was very happy with my old system avatar for literally years and years, no amount of tinkering with shapes, skins, makeup, and so forth has yet left me satisfied with how I look now.

Well judging from this and your Flickr, I think you have quite a lovely avie, and did very well on your "new" look.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I guess the point is that appearance, because it can be so much better now, has come to seem much more important to me than it once did?

I think this is probably one of the downsides of the options we have now and the complexity of it all. I'm pretty sure you're not the only one who feels this way. It probably even becomes discouraging for some.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Well judging from this and your Flickr, I think you have quite a lovely avie, and did very well on your "new" look.

Thank you, Zeta! Coming from someone whose avatar, and photos, are as gorgeous as yours, that means a great deal.

I won't give up hope quite yet, then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I think this is probably one of the downsides of the options we have now and the complexity of it all. I'm pretty sure you're not the only one who feels this way. It probably even becomes discouraging for some.

Yes. This morning, I decided that I disliked my look enough that it was time to try some new mesh heads. This involved 1) getting a whole bunch of demo Bento heads, 2) finding and getting demo skins for them, from multiple vendors, 3) dropping nearly L$150 on a single Omega relay, so that I can try two of those demo skins on a demo head, and 4) looking at eyebrow appliers. THEN sorting out which shape to use as a base (current one? One supplied with head? One supplied with skin?). With each of these steps, the number of possible combinations and options multiplies exponentially. Honestly, it's enough to bring me to tears.

Ironically, this probably wouldn't be an issue were it not for photographs. The times when I am most dissatisfied with my look invariably fall on the day after I've posted a pic here or on Flickr. What look "fine" or even "good" while I was taking the pic suddenly looks awkward or ungainly or weird.

Maybe I should just take pics of other people. Then THEY'D be the ones who looked awkward, ungainly, or weird!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

how, for me, making myself "look good" has sometimes become a chore rather than a pleasure, because the process is so much more complicated than it used to be.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This morning, I decided that I disliked my look enough that it was time to try some new mesh heads. This involved 1) getting a whole bunch of demo Bento heads, 2) finding and getting demo skins for them, from multiple vendors, 3) dropping nearly L$150 on a single Omega relay, so that I can try two of those demo skins on a demo head, and 4) looking at eyebrow appliers. THEN sorting out which shape to use as a base (current one? One supplied with head? One supplied with skin?). With each of these steps, the number of possible combinations and options multiplies exponentially. Honestly, it's enough to bring me to tears.

And this is why I still have a system head.  I start the demo process and just get so frustrated, I just say 'The hell with it - I like me well enough as I am'

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:
28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I like me well enough as I am'

We all do Lil.

Sure, but she's got room for improvement. I'm looking forward to when she crawls out of that self proclaimed shell of hers and comes after me.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

THEN sorting out which shape to use as a base (current one? One supplied with head? One supplied with skin?). With each of these steps, the number of possible combinations and options multiplies exponentially. Honestly, it's enough to bring me to tears.

To me that would be tears of joy! Am so addicted to customizing avies that I probably have 15 alts now already that are fully meshed out and dressed up and everything :)

For the shape, my advise would be to either start with the shape provided with the head, or just copy the numbers of the head of that shape, and put those on your preferred shape. Skin and shape are not really related, the head shape though is very specific for mesh bento heads to make them look good/like on the picture.

• Thanks 1

I have a different experience than @Scylla Rhiadra.

I spent so much time on improving the system avatar. I always "had" to wear bangles on my wrists. And prim nails. Since we could edit all things (if they were mod) I was moving belts up and down, changing the width, stretching one side, if it was lots of parts... a lot of work. And when it fit perfect, I moved, and it clipped into the tummy or tush. If I had a more challenging pose that standing up. I edited attachments and parts like hair so they should not pinch or poke through. I looked like a mess standing up. but it looked better in the pose. Hours to edit lashes. I had lashes where every hair was a prim and I had to edit them all in place. But it was better than alpha clipping. Close eyes, and the lashes didn't move. Moving lashes is some of the best. And face AOs.

I was always searching the better look, I remember buying a fatpack of skins and using them 1 week. And always the editing to remove "insuficcient wiping" or angles in the butt, elbows and such.

I don't need so many attachments now. The body looks good without them. And since the clothes is rigged and move with the body, no need to edit them in place. If the rigging is not so good, the demo will show it. I am buying skins maybe 2 times a year when I am bored. I have found a look I like.

The downside is stiff hair and gowns... I miss it. And that I can't edit hair away from ears, for example. I don't miss editing clothes at all.

Edited by Marianne Little
spelling
  • Like 3

Pic on the left was the first picture i ever took, I was not yet 3 weeks old, but I'd already bought the hair I still wear today. I still had my shy camilla skin (shudders). That necklace was actually on the shirt layer, so when i decide to wear it (not add) while at a club, i ended up topless. I was mortified and tped right out.

I was living in a teepee on a friends sim, but decided to go premium and get my own place because she said the anti grav jet I parked out front wasn't authentic enough.

Now I live in a renovated factory/warehouse. I went back to the place the original pic was taken, but of course, nothing is the same

thennow.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed picture
  • Like 4

Well this is certainly a fun topic.. The first picture that I ever took on SL was actually in the begining orientation island of the time thus I didn't have many options to customize my avatar at that moment but I had made some adjustments nonetheless. I also had managed to sit on one of the notecard givers and had been quite amused by the mistake. Thanks to Orientation island public still existing I was able to recreate that moment:

1498766266_firstpicturerevisit.thumb.png.a0e7f66cef0b63ffbcb777a2eea71c1a.png

Possibly a more accurate comparison would be between a photo taken a few days later when I had the chance to buy and customize an avatar still though quite a difference as everything was limited to prims in 2004 and even sculpted objects didn't exist back then:

1798805397_ZorenHistorycompair.thumb.png.88bf182c856d1b78013a233f3cf1ebb0.png

It really is amazing how SL and my avatar have evolved over the years...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.