To necropost or not...

Christhiana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems that necroposting is mainly frowned upon on these forums. But is it really such a bad thing?

When I search for a topic on something on the forums, I would prefer to find one topic containing all the info being added to it over the years instead of having to go through several topics that have been posted on the matter. The latter usually results in the same info being repeated over and over with just a little additional information added.

I'm curious about others peoples opinions on this matter.

*edited*

I meant to post this in the General forum. Could someone please move it there? :)

Edited by Christhiana

6 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

It seems that necroposting is mainly frowned upon on these forums. But is it really such a bad thing?

When I search for a topic on something on the forums, I would prefer to find one topic containing all the info being added to it over the years instead of having to go through several topics that have been posted on the matter. The latter usually results in the same info being repeated over and over with just a little additional information added.

*edited*

I meant to post this in the General forum. Could someone please move it there? :)

My opinion is it is better in most cases not to necro.  With a 4 page or more thread that has been added to over the years, people rarely read through to the end where more uptodate info is given and take the first page old info as the answer.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

My opinion is it is better in most cases not to necro.  With a 4 page or more thread that has been added to over the years, people rarely read through to the end where more uptodate info is given and take the first page old info as the answer.  

I do understand what you mean. But the latest answer doesn't always have to be the best one. If you wanted the latest info you could always skip to the end of the topic. I think that wopuld be easier then having to find all the relevant topics. And of course this doesn't work for all types of content...

The “problem” with SL is that time moves so much quicker here. Businesses don’t usually last years, stores close or move quicker, clubs move. Things become inapplicable after a time. As far as necro posting goes, usually anything past six months or so is what I personally consider necro posting. It isn’t that it’s BAD but for you to have recent information, you’d have to tab to the last page of a conversation and some newer forum members may not know to do that.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Christhiana said:

I meant to post this in the General forum. Could someone please move it there?

For this - just report your own post and asked that it be moved

For anything technical, I think a necro is a bad idea.  A good deal of the old information will frustrate people since it no longer applies, and in some cases it will flat out make things worse.  

For true general discussion things, a necro isn't always bad.  Sometimes reviving an old thread can actually prevent some of the same stuff from being rehashed again and simply add new thoughts/ideas to a topic.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Greetings!

We have moved the post to the General Forum where more users may see and contribute to the discussion.

The primary reason not to necro post, is as others have pointed out, out dated information. 

A thread that was started 3 years ago about an issue in SL will be extremely outdated. In those cases, it is far better to start a new thread. 

Jokes on the other hand, well, they never really do get old, do they? :)

Edited by Dakota Linden
Typos: I need more coffee :)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

Jokes on the other hand, well, they never really do get old, do they? :)

Dico, dico, dico. Canem meum non habet nasum.
Quam ***** olfacies facit?
Territis ostentat.

Nota bene:  A perfectly good Latin word was asterisked out.  It was not rude. 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Response to auto-editing.
  • Haha 6

Even if the subject matter isn't out of date, if it's not been discussed in a while then I prefer to have a new conversation in which everyone who's in it can stay involved. The older a thread is, the more likely it is that the previous posters won't be around any more to have any kind of engagement with the responses they get.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 7:09 AM, Christhiana said:

*edited*

If you have ever had to wade through 500 or more pages to find one small piece of information, which can take several days of doing nothing but going through the thread, you wouldn't make such a suggestion. It's even worse when the information is buried somewhere in one of THREE threads in excess of 10,000 posts each. The first two threads having been closed because they were bogging the rest of the forum down.

Repetition is how most humans learn.

I wouldn’t fly into a rage if someone necro posted. I just think it’s easier and probably more relevant to start a new thread, because many of the participants probably aren’t around anymore  or if it’s technical, it might be outdated.

I’m also a fan of stickying threads where topics occur over and over. Particularly in the avatar section. There are a handful of topics that this forum sees over and over and over and over and over that would be better to just be moved into one thread to save searching and random thoughts that stir people into beating a dead horse.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, norajulian said:

The “problem” with SL is that time moves so much quicker here. Businesses don’t usually last years, stores close or move quicker, clubs move. Things become inapplicable after a time. As far as necro posting goes, usually anything past six months or so is what I personally consider necro posting. It isn’t that it’s BAD but for you to have recent information, you’d have to tab to the last page of a conversation and some newer forum members may not know to do that.

I think six months sound like a good time.

As mentioned, people who has quit SL or stopped using the forums, will have their posts quoted and questioned. It was perhaps good advice in 2015, but things can have changed.

I think, if you will bring up an old thread, start your post with something like: "I know this is an old thread, but I was reading it and wonder if it..." or something like that. You tell that you know it's an old thread, and those who jump to the last page to read it, is warned that it's an old thread.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2019 at 3:09 PM, Christhiana said:

*edited*

Its not that its bad per say. I personally don't care all that much if someone necroposts as I have far better things to be worrying about. The only concern as others have stated is outdated information. For example :

--Your ideal scenario of re using old threads--

Lets say your a beginner scripter, new to the forums and you are having issues figuring out how modify a child link using a script. So you go onto the forum, type in "modify child links" and up comes a post from 10 years ago, that everyone has been adding to, thats now 47 pages long. You open the thread, think "damn thats a lot of pages" see the initial post and shout "ohhh yes thats the issue i'm having, what was there solution". You read the first few answers, because no ones reading 47 pages of information, and they inform you that "You need to use llSetPrimitiveParamaters to do this and each link you want to modify requires its own script inside and each of those scripts can be activated by sending a linked message from the root prim telling those child prims make the modification". You then sit up straight, smile and re open SL and fill your creations with about 10 billion scripts and feel you have solved your issue.

--The current scenario--

You are having issues figuring out how to modify a child link using a script. So you go onto the forum, type in "modify child links". This time you get a whole host of different threads clearly dated from a few days prior right back to 10 years ago. You think to yourself "Okay damn thats a lot of threads, maybe il go for the most recent ones near the top and work my way down from there". You open the most recent topic that matches your question and see the initial post and think "Ohhhh...etc etc". You read the first few answers and discover there is this amazing function called llSetLinkPrimitiveParams that lets you do all of those nifty modifications to the child links from a whole single script in the root prim. You smile, open SL and use one single script to do all the work for you!. You feel productive!

The difference between these two examples is the first taught the learner how to modify child prims by using a method from SL's archaic past from a time BEFORE we had link functions. Back then we had to put a script into EACH object in the link set that we wanted to modify. Its why if you look inside some of the old flex hair you will find a resize script in each and every object that has been linked together. The second example, which is how it currently works, gave the learner more updated information and taught them how to modify child prims by using a much better and more efficient method requiring only a single script. Humans are a fickle bunch and no one is looking at 47 pages worth of forum chatter and going "By the power of the divine I shall read every post". It isn't happening. On top of that if you are a newbie to the forum you might not know to skip to the end to find more relevant information and even then you may have to spend some time sifting through all kinds of posts to find the exact information you need. What you end up with is newbies and learners reading solutions that have no relevance to how a specific problem is solved in the modern day. 

1 hour ago, chibiusa Ling said:

On top of that if you are a newbie to the forum you might not know to skip to the end to find more relevant information 

I had to ask this once! (Click on date in unread content takes you to the latest post instead of first post.)

45 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I had to ask this once! (Click on date in unread content takes you to the latest post instead of first post.)

Clicking on the little icon in front of the thread title does the same thing (in thread list). Even after it turns into a star (instead of a solid circle) when there is a new post.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.