Abuse

FlorianLimianMadison

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

19 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, FlorianLimianMadison said:

Why are not people banned who force you to do impossible things in SL like *****?

Well we can't tell what you were forced to do because of the profanity filter so maybe a better explanation of how you were forced to do something would help

• Like 3

“Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible.” - Miguel De Unamuno

“I am always doing things I cannot do. That is how I get to do them.” - Pablo Picasso

“They did not know it was impossible so they did it.” - Mark Twain

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rtthgrls said:

What is RLV? And if I don't know what it is am I ok? I am a newbie

RLV is an add-on feature of some third party viewers that enables kinds role-play in which other people can take limited control of aspects of your avatar. The official SL viewer doesn't support it and you must enable it in other viewers, so yes you are okay!

Should you ever find yourself enabling RLV in a third party viewer to play games with others, and those games don't go quite as you wish, you can always just log out, then disable RLV from the log-in screen via "Preferences" before logging in again, or you can log in using the official viewer. SL can seem scary at times, but so long as you don't give out real life information and keep your log-in credentials to yourself, you'll be fine.

Oh, and welcome to Second Life, rtthgrls!

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

RLV is an add-on feature of some third party viewers that enables kinds role-play in which other people can take limited control of aspects of your avatar. The official SL viewer doesn't support it and you must enable it in other viewers, so yes you are okay!

Should you ever find yourself enabling RLV in a third party viewer to play games with others, and those games don't go quite as you wish, you can always just log out, then disable RLV from the log-in screen via "Preferences" before logging in again, or you can log in using the official viewer. SL can seem scary at times, but so long as you don't give out real life information and keep your log-in credentials to yourself, you'll be fine.

Oh, and welcome to Second Life, rtthgrls!

But what does “RLV” stand for, “Restricted Love Viewer”?

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But what does “RLV” stand for, “Restricted Love Viewer”?

Marine Kelley, the creator of the original RLV viewer, named it "Restrained Life Viewer" and aimed it at the kinky community. These days there are lots of people who use RLV for decidedly non kinky reasons, so the original name may not have as much currency. Other viewers adopted Marine's viewer extensions and refer to them as simply "RLV".

• Like 2

More specifically, if you enable RLV in your Preferences (using a viewer that offers that), and wear a "slave collar" or other "RLV Relay" device, and then give another person control, they can control a number of aspects of your Second Life experience.  Depending on what permissions you've given them, they can:

• Undress your avatar, or force you to wear certain clothes
  • "leash" you and force you to follow them
  • Force-teleport you to their location
  • Listen to your chat (only your side of it) remotely
  • Animate or pose your avatar
  • Prevent you from teleporting or from logging in, except to a location they specify (used to "lock you in a cage")
  • Prevent you from talking or communicating with others via IM
  • Limit or eliminate your ability to see the world (black out your screen, as if you were blindfolded)
  • ...and various other things.  Look up Marine Kelly's RLV website for a full list.

All of this can be fun, and even exciting, if you're into that sort of roleplay.  And if you're not, you don't ever need to enable RLV.

15 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

More specifically, if you enable RLV in your Preferences (using a viewer that offers that), and wear a "slave collar" or other "RLV Relay" device, and then give another person control, they can control a number of aspects of your Second Life experience.  Depending on what permissions you've given them, they can:

• Undress your avatar, or force you to wear certain clothes
  • "leash" you and force you to follow them
  • Force-teleport you to their location
  • Listen to your chat (only your side of it) remotely
  • Animate or pose your avatar
  • Prevent you from teleporting or from logging in, except to a location they specify (used to "lock you in a cage")
  • Prevent you from talking or communicating with others via IM
  • Limit or eliminate your ability to see the world (black out your screen, as if you were blindfolded)
  • ...and various other things.  Look up Marine Kelly's RLV website for a full list.

All of this can be fun, and even exciting, if you're into that sort of roleplay.  And if you're not, you don't ever need to enable RLV.

I was with a guy for a while that wanted me to use RLV and it just never happened.  Hearing this I am really glad it didn't.  Once you have put that RLV stuff on, can you take it off again when you want?

4 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

I was with a guy for a while that wanted me to use RLV and it just never happened.  Hearing this I am really glad it didn't.  Once you have put that RLV stuff on, can you take it off again when you want?

Yes.  Go to Preferences, disable RLV in your viewer.  Log off.  Log back in, and detach whatever gadgets you're wearing.

• Like 1

RLV gave us a way to program the viewer and interact with it from scripted objects in-world. For instance the Stargates you see around use RLV. If you have RLV enabled and walk into a gate your are teleported no clicks. Some roleplay games in SL use RLV. In combat when you lose a fight or get shot the game controls you via RLV to lay you down and prevent you continuing play until you respawn somewhere or a timeout expires. There are lots of interesting uses, but the most well known is probably the BDSM community's use of it in their RP.

Now we have Advanced Experiences Tools and can build Experiences. These in a number of ways are similar to RLV. Programmers have more freedom with RLV.

Viewers like Firestorm have RLV but it is disabled by default. Some viewers come with it enabled, the Restrained Love Viewer is one. 

In addition to enabling RLV one must wear an RLV relay. The relay can be a HUD, collar, ring... most any item that can be attached to the avatar or viewer. These relays have a HUD or dialog where you control it. Turn it off, enable with approval for each RLV request, or full on where the relay and viewer just respond to the RLV requests. You can also set permission levels by user. So, a friend or lover may have more permissions than others. Plus there is a whole control thing for clothes and body parts. Suffice to say it gets very complex.

You as the user have ultimate control. Even while the idea is to give up control to another, in the end it is always possible to close the viewer... even with the Xtreme viewer which takes away even more control, you can always turn off the computer.

The trick is to understand what permissions you give to another. Some are really hard to take back.

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

I hope gridwide experiences will help us get rid of RLV for non-fetish uses.

Yes. I once experimented with an attachment called Seat Belt, which attempted to reconnect avatar and vehicle after a failed region crossing. Seat Belt used RLV to force teleports and sits, bringing the avatar back to the vehicle. People didn't like the use of RLV for that. Only about half of failed region crossings were recoverable that way, so it wasn't a good solution to the problem anyway.

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

I hope gridwide experiences will help us get rid of RLV for non-fetish uses.

I would love to not rely on RLV (I use the CTS Wardrobe, otherwise no need for RLV) - if there were a way I can use RLV through some kind of HUD or attachment or otherwise mimic the feature without actual RLV then I'd do that in a heartbeat. I actually like the simplicity of the Offical Viewer, myself and there's not a whole lot that TPVs can do that it cannot (albeit, less conveniently) in terms of actually-useful features that don't conjure ethical questions LOL. 

Edit to complete my reply: I don't think experiences can do what I would hope: The Wardrobe web interface sending the command into SL to remove and/or add attachments from my inventory. As far as I know, only RLV can do that.

Edited by Alyona Su

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.