Does Facebook want our avatar?

Navy1 Coba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Christhiana! Very happy to help anytime! I personally do not give any limit to people so they write and sometimes in a wrong way, but i thikn also on facebook or any platform everybody write as he/she can. about informations of course Wiply is a Limited Company, not a single user and about more informations i can suggest you the  link about privacy policy and indeed me for any questions hehe

https://wiply.net/help/privacy

I want also mention we are doing a directory for any sl business which want to join or create recurring events, since people need a place where to find easily everything. 

6 minutes ago, Ramses Meredith said:

FB need your real informations to sell to third parts that's why do not allow fantasy accounts, otherwise how they can sell the informations? hehe

Which has nothing to do with what Christhiana said.

And has been already mentioned. Because of course they don't want fantasy accounts posing as real people, when they are generating their income from targeted advertisement.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ramses Meredith said:

Hello Christhiana! Very happy to help anytime! I personally do not give any limit to people so they write and sometimes in a wrong way, but i thikn also on facebook or any platform everybody write as he/she can. about informations of course Wiply is a Limited Company, not a single user and about more informations i can suggest you the  link about privacy policy and indeed me for any questions hehe

https://wiply.net/help/privacy

I want also mention we are doing a directory for any sl business which want to join or create recurring events, since people need a place where to find easily everything. 

It is not so much your users but the wiply account itself that posts only links to italian articles and posts in italian or bad english. That is what gives the impression the site is targeted towards italian speaking people. I like to suggest giving more information what the site is about instead of just an option to log in, create an account or read the terms and privacy policy. English is not my native language either and I'm sure my posts are full of mistakes but as an international social media platform you cannot afford to write in such bad english. Since the site does not provide any information on the platform, I had to look at the FB page for more information and most of the content is in the italian language. I cannot read italian so for me there is really no incentive to sign up. This is meant as positive feedback, what you are willing to do with the information is of course up to you….

• Like 4

Since someone has already posted a link to an alternative site I'll add this link.  mewe.com   Personal accounts are free - they make money from optional add-ons like special emojis and extra storage.  They don't sell or fiddle with your data - as it says in the FAQ   "MeWe does not spy on your private posts, we think the way those other companies do things like that is creepy."

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

Pretty sure whole thread was started as ad for OP and OP's biz 

Revenue is whole purpose for all social media

From their POV, not users

If people think other social media sites don't sell or use info, they're not smart.

All of them need to make revenue some way, specially when they have free accounts

Saying they don't spy is not the same as not sharing your info

Or ways for your info to be shared automatically

Ad revenue works well, but still needs some user info to work right

Edited by ImaTest

1 hour ago, ImaTest said:

If people think other social media sites don't sell or use info, they're not smart.

All of them need to make revenue some way, specially when they have free accounts

Saying they don't spy is not the same as not sharing your info

Or ways for your info to be shared automatically

Ad revenue works well, but still needs some user info to work right

I am extremely intelligent, as it happens. :)  I did explain that MeWe make money from optional extras - there's also a business account but I was focussing on personal accounts as an alternative to Fakebook.  I did mention that they don't spy, as an example of their business practice, but if you were to make a little effort and read even their first page you would see that not sharing data is a major directive.  To make the effort for you I quote "Your private life is #Not4Sale. No Ads. No Spyware. No BS".  Now if you ascertain the facts before venturing further opinions you may avoid looking stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I am extremely intelligent, as it happens. :)  I did explain that MeWe make money from optional extras - there's also a business account but I was focussing on personal accounts as an alternative to Fakebook.  I did mention that they don't spy, as an example of their business practice, but if you were to make a little effort and read even their first page you would see that not sharing data is a major directive.  To make the effort for you I quote "Your private life is #Not4Sale. No Ads. No Spyware. No BS".  Now if you ascertain the facts before venturing further opinions you may avoid looking stupid.

What you think happens when MeWe runs out of the $10mil budget they have?

What you think happens when users don't pay all the monthly fees they have, like chat?

Where do you think the money to keep running will come from?

Data storage alone would get costly

People will either leave for better

Or company will find other method for revenue

I know money doesn't come from thin air

Same applies to other social media sites too

Eventually the free ride comes at a cost

If you not paying it, who is?

FB started out the very same way, btw

Took them a long time to start backhanded data sharing

On 1/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Every time I try to sign up to this Wibly site I get this "Profile Address

• Profile addresses must be alphanumeric" 

the profile address must be like: ziggystarsmith - it is used to create the slurg for your account. Maybe need to explain: alphanumeric do not include "special characters" like the space, minus plus and so on. Hope to have explain

• 4 weeks later...

After a very long period of inactivity (had not logged into the avatar facebook since 2012), I decided to bring it back in 2018. I had the password, but met the same challenge as you.  I could never get 3 people to validate me with a code, partly because they kept rotating the list, and also about half of the friends were no longer active.

I even contacted facebook help, several times in various ways, and basically offered to link my verified real life facebook, and provide more proof. I just continued to receive notifications that, after examination, the account was cleared of any concerns, but it never let me log straight in.  It continued to challenge me over and over to get 3 approved friends to verify.  I had definitely hit a wall.  I even dug out the (very) old laptop that I used it on, per facebook's suggestion.  Even though that may have helped verify my account, nothing changed.

The explanation was a history of attempted password hacks on the old avatar account. None ever succeeded, but someone hijacked my WW2 role play group due to long inactivity. Worse yet, they renamed it in another language of which I cannot begin to translate.

My actual original avatar page on facebook remains, and I simply follow it now with the new avatar facebook account.  Frankly, since so many people are at least somewhat transparent, or have real life friends in their avatar facebook, I don't see much or any discrimination made by facebook in terms of helping you recover an account. Facebook would far rather err on the side of caution for all accounts.  They very well know your shopping, browsing and chat from your various logins and may aggregate marketing info by using that.  However, I never see any advertising on my "real life" facebook, and my ads and friend suggestions remain appropriate for the respective accounts.

I don't see any reason to think they limit the reach and full use of facebook by an "avatar" though.  We are all avatars, especially on facebook; where you might say we are mental projections of ourselves.  Facebook is interested in engagement, and not necessarily anchored by real names.

It was hard to give up on recovering my original facebook for emilia, but at the same time, I kind of like the demarcation. 

I don't have a RL facebook account.  I had one but somehow all these acquaintances from work became my "friends" and I didn't like the feeling of my privacy being invaded. So I deleted it.  I've since then concluded that FB is kind of evil and I'm glad I'm gone.  If they ever figure out that Kali is an avatar then I will just kiss it goodbye without regrets. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 10:26 AM, Skell Dagger said:

In short, no. Second life avatars are not real people whose information can be sold to marketers, which is Facebook's entire business model. Many Second Life users have seen their SL-related Facebook accounts terminated for that reason. (Pages are fine; it's actual accounts in avatar names that FB regards as an issue.)

The user is the commodity on FB, which is why - unless you specifically use a plugin such as Ghostery to block FB like/share buttons all over the web - you will be tracked. Even if you don't have a Facebook account, you will be tracked unless you specifically block those buttons, as well as the invisible 'Facebook pixel'. Facebook have actually admitted that. That tracking is why people who have multiple accounts, both for real life and Second Life, will sometimes see SL-relevant advertising on their real life FB account, and vice versa.

Right in the mark Skell !!!

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c7379eb6f736c6c4d

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1884 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.