Does Facebook want our avatar?

Navy1 Coba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Years ago, I started a Facebook account for my avatar. I found a LOT of people did that. The Second Life Facebook page has over 300k likes, so we are not a small part of Facebook. As Second Life is our "second life" many of us don't really want to mix our first life Facebook account. For years everything went along smooth until about November of this year. I kept getting notices "we haven't seen you in a while" and the usual list of friend requests, etc. So in I log, hmm wait, you haven't logged in for a while, in order to resume you need 3 friends to post a 4 digit code, please pick from these photos. So I knew at least 3 personally since I have been on Second Life coming on 10yrs, contacted them and 2 got the codes, 1 got a note that she was not a trusted friend. I hadn't established any such list. So off I go winding through the maze of facebook help. Finally I find a send us this or that, and get a semi live person. Send them proof of who I am, back and forth, even a photo of my avatar pointing at the "like us on Facebook" sign at the club. Sorry, Navy1 seems to need a Utility bill, Polling card (yeah right!) or social welfare card. (Here I might insert the obvious joke I looked on MarketPlace and could find none of these).

I am kind of at a loss. My Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Strippers-nite-club-and-mall-431936040171338/ has a modest following over the years and I'd like to continue but it seems Facebook doesn't want us. If any of you have any suggestions besides the "quit Facebook" comments, let me know

item 2a.jpg

Edited by Navy1 Coba
uploaded wrong image

Does Facebook want our avatar?

In short, no. Second life avatars are not real people whose information can be sold to marketers, which is Facebook's entire business model. Many Second Life users have seen their SL-related Facebook accounts terminated for that reason. (Pages are fine; it's actual accounts in avatar names that FB regards as an issue.)

The user is the commodity on FB, which is why - unless you specifically use a plugin such as Ghostery to block FB like/share buttons all over the web - you will be tracked. Even if you don't have a Facebook account, you will be tracked unless you specifically block those buttons, as well as the invisible 'Facebook pixel'. Facebook have actually admitted that. That tracking is why people who have multiple accounts, both for real life and Second Life, will sometimes see SL-relevant advertising on their real life FB account, and vice versa.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This is between you and Facebook.  What do you think anyone here can do?

It's a discussion and anyone that has an avatar profile on Facebook is going to sooner or later run headlong into this. Even Second Life has a Facebook page, I am assuming they pay for a business account, but still, with over 300,000 likes on their page a tremendous amount are avatar based Facebook accounts

7 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

In short, no. Second life avatars are not real people whose information can be sold to marketers, which is Facebook's entire business model.

The user is the commodity on FB, which is why - unless you specifically use a plugin such as Ghostery to block FB like/share buttons all over the web - you will be tracked. Even if you don't have a Facebook account, you will be tracked unless you specifically block those buttons, as well as the invisible 'Facebook pixel'. Facebook have actually admitted that. That tracking is why people who have multiple accounts, both for real life and Second Life, will sometimes see SL-relevant advertising on their real life FB account.

It seems we may have reached that point, Skell. With all the deception in the news about Facebook, am sure they are coming under fire for accounts such as this. In the end you are perfectly correct, its all about the money that can be generated and Lindens don't spend well at the local 7-11. LL is not without its issues in past years, such as the moving of all adult business (whatever that might be) to a separate island and then the gaming fiasco a few year ago. As a RL resident of one of the Evil 8 states, my avatar isn't even allowed on a gaming sim. I am sounding a bit like "remember the good ole days".

18 minutes ago, Navy1 Coba said:

anyone that has an avatar profile on Facebook is going to sooner or later run headlong into this

I am assuming they pay for a business account, but still, with over 300,000 likes on their page a tremendous amount are avatar based Facebook accounts

as soon you get reported for not being a real person or company, your SL FB account will be gone faster than you were able to sign up. FB deleted thousends of these during the years this isn't a new thing.
This is the reason you see more and more real name accounts with use of the SL names as nick.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Navy1 Coba said:

[ Dang it, Zucc ]

Don't quit Facebook, that is unless you've had enough of the "bovine scatology" that they've put you through. Know, however, that Skell is right! I have heard from the people over at a place that I live (they offer places for some residents of the VIP to rest their heads), plus a previous lover,  they said that some of them had to pull tooth and nail to get Facebook's A-OKAY to let them create an account for their SL avatar; oddly enough it didn't happen for me so who knows. The whole "prove you are who you say you are" checks out. Maybe someone reported you? Who did you piss off? lol

10 minutes ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Don't quit Facebook, that is unless you've had enough of the "bovine scatology" that they've put you through. Know, however, that Skell is right! I have heard from the people over at a place that I live (they offer places for some residents of the VIP to rest their heads), plus a previous lover,  they said that some of them had to pull tooth and nail to get Facebook's A-OKAY to let them create an account for their SL avatar; oddly enough it didn't happen for me so who knows. The whole "prove you are who you say you are" checks out. Maybe someone reported you? Who did you piss off? lol

it wasn't a report, it was simply a lack of use of the SL/FB account. If you don't log into FB and read their ads, even if you don't post (had lunch with Bill and Tom at Wendys) they suspect you. You should read the list of things they would like to ID who you are. LL is not much different. I had an alt that the account was put on hold until I submitted real name, DOB, past addresses, any other alts connected, etc. On my RL facebook account they are constantly asking, was this you, when I use my cell phone or laptop instead of the main computer. I tend to think Skell is correct that its all about the money. If they can't actively track you, they can't sell your virtual body to advertisers. Maybe LL should jump on this, have FB/SL accounts and flood them with premium membership, MarketPlace ads and such, ROFL.

Edited by Navy1 Coba
grammar
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Navy1 Coba said:

It's a discussion and anyone that has an avatar profile on Facebook is going to sooner or later run headlong into this.

Except for the fact that FB started this crap YEARS ago, in 2011. I haven't posted anything on FB in over a year and have no trouble logging in.

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2011/05/facebook-deleting-second-life-avatar-profiles.html

http://www.kimrandall.me/2011/05/20/facebook-deletes-thousands-of-second-life-avatar-profiles-without-warning/

20 minutes ago, Navy1 Coba said:

Maybe LL should jump on this, have FB/SL accounts and flood them with premium membership, MarketPlace ads and such

http://www.kimrandall.me/2011/07/26/facebook-and-google-deleted-second-life-responded/

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Seems then, it was just my time as target in the shooting gallery. I think my error was not logging in. Thanks for the info. I probably won't create a page from my RL Facebook account simply because I would get so much grief for owning a virtual strip club, ROFL

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I deleted Lindal's FB account years ago.

It seems I will be doing the same. I see no sense in promoting something that doesn't want me. Issue is, since i can't log in, I may be in virtual limbo, destined to live through eternity, haha

• Like 1

The only reason I created a FB account for Lil was for some store give-away things.  FB has said that they only want accounts of RL people and not accounts for online identities associated with games.  

I keep my accounts separate by only using one browser for Lil and another browser for my RL FB - as of yet, cookies don't cross browser boundaries.  Since I barely use my RL FB and only use the SL one for contests, I wouldn't be too sad if either account got zapped.  If I ever get any indication that boundaries are crossing between the two, I'll zap them myself.

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only reason I created a FB account for Lil was for some store give-away things.  FB has said that they only want accounts of RL people and not accounts for online identities associated with games.  

I keep my accounts separate by only using one browser for Lil and another browser for my RL FB - as of yet, cookies don't cross browser boundaries.  Since I barely use my RL FB and only use the SL one for contests, I wouldn't be too sad if either account got zapped.  If I ever get any indication that boundaries are crossing between the two, I'll zap them myself.

It seems the key is logging in, not actually posting. That was my error. RL things came up and was away from the SL/FB one and it got zapped. It was only for fun as all of SL is, but still a loss, had some cute things in there and people seemed to like it. Sad to see many of the social platforms fail over the years since most were just that, social sites that allowed contact. Without my RL Facebook account I would lose contact with many I don't otherwise interact with on a normal day.

34 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

If I can't post this here, please tell me, but Wiply accepts Second Life avatars and other virtual accounts (I won't post a link cause I am not sure I can) - the creator of wiply plays second life and allows virtual accounts on his platform.

I had a look at Wiply. It seems to be a new social media site mostly targeted towards italian people (text is written mostly in italian or very bad english). I personally don't see the appeal for the majority of second life users other than the promise their account won't get deleted.

Edited by Christhiana

41 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

I had a look at Wiply. It seems to be a new social media site mostly targeted towards italian people (text is written mostly in italian or very bad english). I personally don't see the appeal for the majority of second life users other than the promise their account won't get deleted.

And what appeal does Facebook have? to me it's the same, you create your account and post and ad friends. The difference is that you have an option to have a virtual account. 

2 minutes ago, Cesartje said:

And what appeal does Facebook have? to me it's the same, you create your account and post and ad friends. The difference is that you have an option to have a virtual account. 

It doesn't just target the residents of one country. If I want to have presence on social media to connect with other SL users, I would choose a platform that appeals to residents from all countries rather then one that targets only people from italy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

Hello! I am the owner of Wiply and I think I need to explain something. First of all it is a social media not for italian people but for all, the system is write in english by english people and then translated in multi languages:

• spanish,
  • portuguese,
  • italian,
  • dutch,
  • german,
  • french,
  • greek,
  • nederland,
  • romanian,
  • russian
  • japanese.

It is a system all in one, since it allow to create albums like flickr, to have multimedia groups  post documents as user, page, group (useful for designers which need to add user manuals or so on) you can create events, payd events, sell or book tickets/events, get your blog added in the news, have different content depending on the network you are in  ( Second life have it own network, like having own facebook withotu being bored by other networks content).

What we give is the platform, content have to be added by residents.

I am more than happy to give more explanations, if it is a constructive conversation I am available to talk and give more information, if instead it is the usual way of shoveling insults to facilitate the friend who has a site to support then I leave it immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

It doesn't just target the residents of one country. If I want to have presence on social media to connect with other SL users, I would choose a platform that appeals to residents from all countries rather then one that targets only people from italy.

I don't see that way, sorry, I am not Italian and I use it. I started to use it when went to FB jail. <3 But its your opinion and i respect that <3 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ramses Meredith said:

Hello! I am the owner of Wiply and I think I need to explain something. First of all it is a social media not for italian people but for all, the system is write in english by english people and then translated in multi languages:

• spanish,
  • portuguese,
  • italian,
  • dutch,
  • german,
  • french,
  • greek,
  • nederland,
  • romanian,
  • russian
  • japanese.

It is a system all in one, since it allow to create albums like flickr, to have multimedia groups  post documents as user, page, group (useful for designers which need to add user manuals or so on) you can create events, payd events, sell or book tickets/events, get your blog added in the news, have different content depending on the network you are in  ( Second life have it own network, like having own facebook withotu being bored by other networks content).

What we give is the platform, content have to be added by residents.

I am more than happy to give more explanations, if it is a constructive conversation I am available to talk and give more information, if instead it is the usual way of shoveling insults to facilitate the friend who has a site to support then I leave it immediately.

Thank you for your response,

I will try to explain why I get the impression that wiply.net is not a site targeting an international audience...

I first went to look at whiply.net where there is NO info at all about the network, what it is for, etc. (I don't want to sign up for something without knowing what it is).

Next I went to have a look at the official facebook page to see if I could find some more info on Wiply only to find that posts are in italian or in badly translated english which to me suggests the site is targeted towards italian speaking people. I'm sure you can imagine that most non italian speaking people would not get the impression that this is an site targeted towards an international crowd and just leave...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.